Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

edited 25 August 2015 at 4:06PM in Phones & TV
383 replies 108.2K views

Replies

• ohitohit Forumite
    370 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I just disconnected the Virgin Media broadband and telephone that is in my wife's name. And then subsequently signed up in my name using the comparison site at net ~£18/month for 18months - to be activated the day after the disconnect.
    This is for 100MB and telephone (which we don't use anyway).
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone given their notice, and not been able to cancel it if no decent deal offered?
  • edited 1 January at 3:00PM
    fueboyfueboy Forumite
    92 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 January at 3:00PM
    I have the Ultimate Oomph package:
    • 500M broadband (get around 400m-550m most days) + booster kit
    • Talk anytime
    • Everything with the TV (including BT Sports) with 2 V6 boxes
    • Unlimited data SIM

As a new customer last year I had it for £89pm. Contract is up in Feb and price increases to £139(!) so called today to ask what the price would be to keep the phone and broadband but cancel the TV, as I hate the layout and much much prefer the Sky Q box I had before VM.

I was told the price for the 500M + Phone would be around £77!

Seeing as we heavily use the broadband, we couldn't really cope with the 67M sky offer us so took a deal to keep all I have for £99pm, he said there may be new deals out soon but this is the best that can be offered at this point - £40 off per month.

I knew I wouldn't get a new customer price and having all I need and more for just under £100 I am ok with.

• SkintskiSkintski Forumite
    500 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Our contract is due to end this week, we’ve been paying £62 per month and it jumps to £88. I called yesterday and they offered me £71, I rang back this morning and they couldn’t go lower than £78. If I ring again later today or tomorrow am I just going to be wasting my time? 

I read somewhere that different operatives often get different discount codes that’s all.
    Thanks 
  • gilledwardsgilledwards Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all, it looks as though now may be a good time to haggle with Virgin Media as Sky have a sale on. As an existing customer (out of contract), I rang Virgin today to advise that I can get the same deal with Sky for £99 and I have now negotiated a new 18 month contract with Virgin for £100 (to include the price increase as from 03/2021) with better broadband speed, better phone package, better mobile phone deal and same TV package (including all sports & HD) and now including movies. A total annual saving of £588. I've been putting it off for ages - GO FOR IT!
  • PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    196 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi all, it looks as though now may be a good time to haggle with Virgin Media as Sky have a sale on. As an existing customer (out of contract), I rang Virgin today to advise that I can get the same deal with Sky for £99 and I have now negotiated a new 18 month contract with Virgin for £100 (to include the price increase as from 03/2021) with better broadband speed, better phone package, better mobile phone deal and same TV package (including all sports & HD) and now including movies. A total annual saving of £588. I've been putting it off for ages - GO FOR IT!
    They offered me their ultimate oomph package for £79 when they called me back after cancelling. I didn’t want the movies or sim though so passed on offer
  • FreddieMFreddieM Forumite
    987 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently with VM on a 12 month contract until 14 February 2021 costing me £24 incuding anytime calls. I'm also on the M50 package. I just wondered if there is a best time to call for negotiating a new deal, i.e. beginning of the month, middle, or end of the month or is it not relevant. I am happy to walk if i can't get a similar deal 
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • edited 20 January at 3:46PM
    PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    196 Posts
    edited 20 January at 3:46PM
    FreddieM said:
    I am currently with VM on a 12 month contract until 14 February 2021 costing me £24 incuding anytime calls. I'm also on the M50 package. I just wondered if there is a best time to call for negotiating a new deal, i.e. beginning of the month, middle, or end of the month or is it not relevant. I am happy to walk if i can't get a similar deal 
    Have they told you what new price will be?  If not ring 150, see what they offer you, if you don’t like it, then put cancellation in.  That gives you 30 days to find a new deal, and them 30 days to call you back to try and keep you.  Bear in mind that’s not a given they call you back.  When you speak to the adviser have a price that you can get elsewhere..eg Vodafone with cashback etc...  they will probably offer you 100MB..but if you need anytime calls make sure you tell them that, otherwise you will end up free weekend calls only for cheapest price 
  • FreddieMFreddieM Forumite
    987 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I did all my homework and as somebody in another thread have said, VM don't seem interested in holding clients. My package could be met but with only weekend calls instead of my current anytime calls, and an increase of £6.50 which is very much a VM standard package. I turned it down and the advisor went through the disconnection process with me. So I'm about to look at Now broadband who offer a simialr deal to my current VM deal. I've always believed that you don't gamble with something that you could lose. I was prepared and ready. I hope that others will get the deal they want. Thanks for comments and advice.
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • PZ19PZ19 Forumite
    196 Posts
    FreddieM said:
    Well, I did all my homework and as somebody in another thread have said, VM don't seem interested in holding clients. My package could be met but with only weekend calls instead of my current anytime calls, and an increase of £6.50 which is very much a VM standard package. I turned it down and the advisor went through the disconnection process with me. So I'm about to look at Now broadband who offer a simialr deal to my current VM deal. I've always believed that you don't gamble with something that you could lose. I was prepared and ready. I hope that others will get the deal they want. Thanks for comments and advice.
    You will most likely get a call back offering you a better deal.  Could be from a mobile as lot of them are working from home..