Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback

Comments

• I didn't really have to "haggle". I pay my 12 months' line rental up front and was out of the broadband minimum term and wanted to synchronise the line rental and broadband anniversary.
    'Phoned customer options and asked what they could offer because my LRS was due soon. Straight away I was offered 12 months' "free" broadband.
    That means I'm paying the equivalent of £15.49/month line rental, including evening and weekend calls, plus 99p for caller display.
    That was at the start of December but I now see they are offering 18 months' "free" broadband for new customers.
  • slb2008
    slb2008 Posts: 32 Forumite
    We have 38MB fibre and phone with plusnet and have just come to the end of the contract. Standard price is £14.99 per month, they offered me £10 per month on a two year contract. The cheapest line rental is another £185.88 per year. Couldn't get them to go any lower. Has anyone else done better?
  • cammyloon
    cammyloon Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2016 at 8:05PM
    slb2008 - Couple of questions: (i) did you speak to Plusnet's cancellations team, or only to the team responsible for renewals?; (ii) did you quote them cheaper deals from other providers? Their renewals team offered me the same deal for 38MB that you describe on a 2 year contract, plus £50 cashback, as the best they could offer when I referred to BT's current offer for fibre broadband (which includes a total of £175 cash back on a 12 month contract if you go via Moneysupermarket).

When I went to their cancellations/retentions section, I was offered bigger discounts (possibly because I was keen to take TV alongside fibre broadband).

But I also think it's tougher getting a good deal from Plusnet for fibre broadband than it is for ordinary broadband (judging by the smaller discount available to new customers who take their fibre broadband).
  • Been a plus net customer for 5 years and tired of seeing the Advert targeting new customers so phoned to complain, and possibly moving to talk talk. Got an immediate offer of 18 months free broadband if I renewed my linesaver, which I usually do anyway. Quite satisfied now!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You got the offer of free BB thats available to anyone on their website? What are you paying for line rental though?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2016 at 11:42AM
    You got the offer of free BB thats available to anyone on their website? What are you paying for line rental though?

If they renewed LRS then probably the same as me - equivalent to £15.49/month.
    Mine includes evening and weekend calls too, as Denman's probably does, because it was originally taken out before a certain date, can't remember exactly, could be May 2013? I have 12 months' broadband for "free", no haggling required, see my post (no. 12).:) He refused to give me the new customer £75 cashback offer though.:p
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    slb2008 wrote: »
    We have 38MB fibre and phone with plusnet and have just come to the end of the contract. Standard price is £14.99 per month, they offered me £10 per month on a two year contract. The cheapest line rental is another £185.88 per year. Couldn't get them to go any lower. Has anyone else done better?

This time last year I extended my 76MB fibre (no calls package) for £10 a month for 2 years. It was £15 a month to extend by 18 months, so I'm still out of sync with Line Rental Saver.

I'll be hoping to get the same this time next year when it's up for renewal as the service is top-notch (I get pretty much always 76 down and 20 up)
  • Nearly at the end of 12month line rental paying £2.50/month for broadband, £3 for evening and w/e calls. Just called them up and asked what their best offer was. First offer was 24 month contract: line rental (paid 12months upfront or monthly) evening and weekend calls £1.50 for six months, £5.50 for BB for 24 months. I said their website was offering (new customers presumably) 18 month contract for line rental + free broadband. He 'pulled a few strings' and said he could do that. No cashback though. You can pay 12 months line rental for £185.88 but you'll probably end up paying the more expensive monthly rate for the last six. TBH there are better deals out there but I had a huge amount of stress last time I moved provider so seems acceptable.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Like many, coming to the end of what was a great deal with Plusnet, have made enquiries about renewing contract, all was offered was BB at £2.50 PM if paid VLR upfront, with anytime calls this would take our existing bill to about £24PM, whilst new customers can get same deal with CashBack of £100 from Quidco and PN £50.00 Cashback, making a total cost inclusive of all offers to less than £9.00PM for a 12 month contract, compare with BT, which can get for £13.60 PM with all offers - quite a staggering difference if you are loyal, so unless PlusNet can offer free BB and free anytime calls I'll be joining BT this Thursday.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 13 January 2016 at 12:00PM
    Quick update, rang PN cancellations to actually subscribe to BT BB & Telephone offer, which with all offers and Cash Back's worked out at approx. £14.00 PM for Phone, BB and unlimited calls - better offers out there but missed out yesterday.

To cut a long story short, as of today PN are offering free broadband for 12 months and £50.00 cash back to new customers, Quidco are also offering £110 Cash Back for PN ASDL services if you use their website - obviously, can't claim the Quidco deal as not a new customer, but was offered the following if sign-up for another year:
    12 Months free Broadband
    Anytime Calls £6.00 PM
    VLR upfront payment of approx. £15.45 PM (Much more expensive than last year)
    £50.00 Cashback.

This means my folks will be paying effectively £17.00 PM for everything they want, or equivalent to their line rental - SSE are slightly cheaper, and BT is £3.50PM cheaper, but no guarantee that you'll get the promised Cashback from Quidco or TopCashBack - do see the complaints on this.

So, to stop any hassle for my elderly folks have instructed they stay with Plusnet, whom I can only give good remarks about as we have had good service and good BB speeds (6.5mb on 17mb line, which is good for our area I can assure you all)

All in all, following today's phone call we have saved a monthly £2.50 BB charge and get a £50.00 Cashback that covers most of the AnyTime phone costs (£6.00PM), making a £80.00 saving on what I was originally offered on 4th Jan if I renewed - again, better deals out there, but we are existing Plusnet customers and parents hate changing services and cannot utilise some of the great offers out there as an engineer would have to call to do most of the work.

Had a good deal with OVO too on the gas and electricity, so folks are quite happy and content.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback