Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    cocococo wrote: »
    Under immense pressure from hubbie to get it sorted - he's having palpitations at the thought of no sky 😂

Lol, I had that in reverse with the wife. How long until your cancellation date? I would leave it until there's no more than a week or two left if they haven't called back themselves, you're paying way too much and they will offer a better deal than that as you're one of their higher paying customers anyway with the full package. They really won't want to lose you.

Wouldn't surprise me if they lowered the installation fee down to £50 and put £50 credit on the account to wipe it out entirely plus your 60% on the TV portion and something off your broadband. You can always ask about their mobile service while there (you don't need to actually want it, or commit) as a quad play customer is the holy grail.

I'm presuming you have their broadband btw.
  • Bluewilko
    Options
    Ok I've found my best haggling tool is too really be prepared to cancel or switch from sky to virgin or visa versa , e.g. Cancel with notice , pay your last payment and cancel direct debit , this clicks in to sky retention dept as your bank tells them the debit has been cancelled . They then get in touch by phone or email ( normally a week or two ) knowing your serious about cancelling and offer you a great deal which I normally turn down , then you get the last ditch offer Bang I got the full tv package sport movies box sets hd etc for 25 pounds a month instead of 85 pounds for 12 months . My main weapon was I would have gone to virgin for my tv on a offer , I have my broadband and phone with virgin already but haggle with that as well :) don't forget that when you cancel with sky you still have a months tv before they cut you off as you pay in advance if you can't go through with it in the end ( you can always reinstate ) but chances are they will phone you before that . I can't say it's 100'per cent but it's worked for me a treat so far for many years . I have not paid full price for sky or virgin services for a very long time , just be prepared to go the distance and you could be very surprised happy hunting :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bluewilko wrote: »
    Ok I've found my best haggling tool is too really be prepared to cancel or switch from sky to virgin or visa versa , e.g. Cancel with notice , pay your last payment and cancel direct debit , this clicks in to sky retention dept as your bank tells them the debit has been cancelled . They then get in touch by phone or email ( normally a week or two ) knowing your serious about cancelling and offer you a great deal which I normally turn down , then you get the last ditch offer Bang I got the full tv package sport movies box sets hd etc for 25 pounds a month instead of 85 pounds for 12 months . My main weapon was I would have gone to virgin for my tv on a offer , I have my broadband and phone with virgin already but haggle with that as well :) don't forget that when you cancel with sky you still have a months tv before they cut you off as you pay in advance if you can't go through with it in the end ( you can always reinstate ) but chances are they will phone you before that . I can't say it's 100'per cent but it's worked for me a treat so far for many years . I have not paid full price for sky or virgin services for a very long time , just be prepared to go the distance and you could be very surprised happy hunting :)
    Actually I'd say your best haggling tool there is the fact that you have BB/phone from Virgin and TV from Sky. They know that you have no compunction against leaving one or the other, I'm jealous. I've not long renewed but I'll have to look at BB/phone offers from Virgin next year and maybe even consider taking a (small) hit on switching for future benefits.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No need for 'threats' and cancelling the direct debit is not a good idea, as ,because you pay in advance, they probably owe you a refund, so need a means of paying it.

Many of us, recently, just let it be switched off (it really doesn't hurt) and got an online offer of 75% off with £100 credit within days (weeks for me but I hadn't checked my account).

I didn't even miss Sky and got to try out the TV's catchup and Youtube facility, but under £6 a month for Boxed Sets, Cinema and HD was too much of a bribe to refuse.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bluewilko wrote: »

There is no doubt that your "ace in the hole" is being in a Virgin area - for those of us who have no Virgin services available, the only effective route is to cancel -and follow it through!
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled last month - due to be switched off in a few days time.

Offers timeline thus far...
    My Sky - 50% off for 12 months offered immediately.

A couple of phone calls from Sky retentions dept missed a week after cancellation.

Follow up text message received with an online link offering 60% off for 12 months.

Follow up letter received offering 60% off for 12 months. Expiy date of 27th December 2016.

Offer of 60% off for 12 months via Services button on Sky remote.

Last few days - online links to 50% and 60% offers now removed and replaced with a message saying "Unable to proceed with offers... please ring this number". However, offer of 60% off still there via Sky remote.

I'll update this thread with details of any further offers after I've been switched off later on this week.
  • quoit
    quoit Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    There is no doubt that your "ace in the hole" is being in a Virgin area - for those of us who have no Virgin services available, the only effective route is to cancel -and follow it through!

My broadband is with Virgin.

TV with Sky (I'm about to be switched off shortly after cancelling last month).

Any haggling I may have to do is going to get interesting :D
  • teddysmum
    Options
    quoit wrote: »

A couple of phone calls from Sky retentions dept missed a week after cancellation.

Follow up text message received with an online link offering 60% off for 12 months.

Follow up letter received offering 60% off for 12 months. Expiy date of 27th December 2016.

Last few days - online links to 50% and 60% offers now removed and replaced with a message saying "Unable to proceed with offers... please ring this number". However, offer of 60% off still there via Sky remote.

I'll update this thread with details of any further offers after I've been switched off later on this week.

This is a very common pattern. look on My Sky.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    quoit wrote: »

This is a usual pattern. Look on My Sky after you're switched off for a few days.
  • davethebox
    Options
    I've got the basic package of phone / unlimited broadband and box sets (total of £60.40). Tried the online chat today and was only give the 10 month deal of £48 / month for a 12 month contract.

I think this is quite poor so I'll now look at other providers then ring Sky and tell them to cancel.

Shame as I actually like the sky service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback