The Able Group, Lousy Service, possible Breach of Contract?

Options

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I already have a solicitor, and a plumber, electrician, gas engineer, accountant and general handyman. I had a man who can fix T&T windows but he retired recently. Before I contacted Able I approached half a dozen other companies who were unable to help.

You can imagine therefore how relieved a was when Able agreed to do the job and I cleared my diary for the morning. They phoned me 15 minutes before they were due to arrive.

If BG fail to keep an appointment they pay £30 in compensation, they have paid me over £400 this year, (it's a long story). Why should I not ask Able to make some restitution?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Good grief, if think you are so high and mighty, careful you don't slip off that horse of yours, you have been so rude to all of us with your attitude of I am so much better than you.

Take them to court, I am sure none of us will loose sleep over it, you have asked for advise, it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Pay your lawyr to sue them.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • MoneySavingNovice
    MoneySavingNovice Posts: 435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2015 at 6:43PM
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    ..... Able agreed to do the job and I cleared my diary for the morning. They phoned me 15 minutes before they were due to arrive.......

Thank you for the new information.

Please have a look at your contract with Able and quote the pertinent clauses surrounding their failure to attend an appointment.

I don’t want to prejudge this, but what’s in British Gas contracts and what’s in Able’s contracts is likely to be different.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The_Deep wrote:
    I phoned them and asked them if they could repair a tilt and turn window. in a rental property some miles from my home and (in which I do not live). They say they can and quote three prices (depending on what work needs to be done) which I agree and furnish my credit card details.

An appointment is made for a few days later. On the morning of the appointment the engineer telephones me and when leaning it is a tilt and turn, says he cannot do it.

I complain to the company and Mr R**** sends me, (to the wrong address), an insulting reply saying they are not charging me and offering 15% discount on future work (as if).

I have asked for reasonable compensation and if I do not get it will take them to court. A complete bunch of cowboys.

D P Dance

I see that the company have complained to Trust Pilot about my naming one of their employees. I have therefore removed his name. It is a pity that Able Group have not dealt with the problem rather than their petty attempts to have it removed.
    The_Deep wrote:
    I am a professional landlord, my time is money. If a company agrees to a contract which it knows it cannot perform then it is guilty of a deceit.

Wasting busy Landlords' time with false promises needs to be discouraged, especially by contributors to a money saving board.
    The_Deep wrote:
    Three hours of my time wasted finding an alternative contractor.
    The_Deep wrote:
    According to your profile Marlie you are a primary school teacher, do you also moonlight as a Contract Law lawye?
    The_Deep wrote:
    Nothing wrong with my spelling, (I have an M.A. in English Literature), my typing is not so good though.
    The_Deep wrote:
    Thank you but I don't.
    The_Deep wrote:
    Dear MS Novice all that you have said above is in conflict with the advice given by highly experienced (in Contract law) posters on the private parking fines board. Perhaps you should visit it, you might then wish to revise your advice,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
    The_Deep wrote:
    so (they) sent that as an apology

They most certainly did not. Did you actually read my OP?

I am becoming so frustrated with this swathe of misinformation and failure to understand not only the problem, but to misquote Contract Law.
    The_Deep wrote:
    Perhaps you would like to expand on why you consider that you do have a case given that I and many others here believe that you don’t.

Because in the past when I have gone to the small claims court I have been successful. Two tenants, an RTA, Fiat, and an Amazon partner. Such a record gives one confidence.
    The_Deep wrote:
    I already have a solicitor, and a plumber, electrician, gas engineer, accountant and general handyman. I had a man who can fix T&T windows but he retired recently. Before I contacted Able I approached half a dozen other companies who were unable to help.

You can imagine therefore how relieved a was when Able agreed to do the job and I cleared my diary for the morning. They phoned me 15 minutes before they were due to arrive.

If BG fail to keep an appointment they pay £30 in compensation, they have paid me over £400 this year, (it's a long story). Why should I not ask Able to make some restitution?

For reference

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?449759-Shocking-Customer-Service

Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • MoneySavingNovice
    Options
    Mupette wrote: »
    Good grief, if think you are so high and mighty, careful you don't slip off that horse of yours, you have been so rude to all of us with your attitude of I am so much better than you...........

[FONT=&quot]The Deep, according to his profile, is a retired diplomat. I’m sure his approach here has been in line with the highest standards of the diplomatic service.[/FONT]
  • MoneySavingNovice
    Options
    45002 wrote: »
    Well spotted. So basically in addition to the information provided here there is no written contract, and he would settle for £20.

Despite his attitude I actually thought he had a real issue, which I was trying to understand even though it was like getting blood out of a stone.

I’m afraid my sympathy has now entirely gone. He’s been told by countless people over at least two threads that there is no case and been dismissive or rude to all of them.

That said I think he should take them to court. I have no doubt he will lose and it will cost him a great deal of money. He could also be faced with a counterclaim surrounding his comments about the company concerned. I think there is a real possibility that he is guilty of Libel.

For sure this is not somebody I would want to do business with.
    Options
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • The_Deep
    edited 28 July 2015 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Libel is when you write something which is not true. Please point to that which I have written which is a lie.

If you go on to the Trust Pilot page you will see that several others have expressed dissatisfaction with this company.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.able-group.co.uk?r=0&correlationId=d2cc3491-e90d-4994-aad7-44fc1c7ee1ae

As you will see, they are pleased to answer good reviews, but reluctant to respond to criticism.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    Options
    The_Deep wrote:
    Libel is when you write something which is not true. Please point to that which I have written which is a lie.

If you go on to the Trust Pilot page you will see that several others have expressed dissatisfaction with this company.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.able-group.co.uk?r=0&correlationId=d2cc3491-e90d-4994-aad7-44fc1c7ee1ae

As you will see, they are pleased to answer good reviews, but reluctant to respond to criticism.
    The_Deep wrote:
    What is the point of this post? I also post here as well.

http://www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3

and pepipoo and TMF

Correct URL

http://www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32780
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure