I WILL get there!!

Options

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's great news Kirsty! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations Kirsty - that is absolutely fantastic news. Doing the happy dance for you :dance:
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I banked the cheque this morning! I'm still in shock!

Basically the only debt we will have remaining as of Friday is OHs CC and the car loan (which I hadn't put as part of my signature). Almost all of my original debt, plus most of our joint debt not on my signature will be cleared.

We have decided to leave the car loan to run. It's at 3% so part of me wants it cleared so I'm not paying interest, but we have to be realistic - £150 a month is easily manageable for us and we have a lot of money that we still need to save for NZ, plus the amount we want saved for a baby isn't insignificant!

I will be looking at the savings goals as debts - I know that focusing on this as a debt will help me to get it 'paid off' as fast as possible.

Until the money clears I still don't think I'll feel like it's real!

OH mentioned being able to have joint finances sooner than we planned so we need to have a SERIOUS conversation at some point over the weekend.

My Grandparents have just left to go to my parents for the rest of the weekend and we will be joining them tomorrow or Monday for a birthday meal and some time with the little niece <3

Had another acupuncture session today and I'm black and blue! Having a week off next week and will go back in 2 weeks so hopefully it is actually doing something.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Congrats Kirsty, that must be a great feeling. :j:T Enjoy it. :beer:

I know you said in your earlier post that it feels a bit like cheating but it's really not because if you hadn't laid the groundwork and paid off a big chunk of debt already, you wouldn't be as near being DF now. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Thanks Sashy that is what OH and my parents said and I am thrilled that the amount they are gifting us (same amount to my sister to help her buy a house) is enough to almost clear my debt - 2 years ago it would have been a drop in the ocean!

I keep changing my mind about what is next and I think I'm driving OH mad.

Until Friday (payday for me, and when the cheque is due to clear) I think it won't seem real so I won't be able to make a proper decision. I may spend the next week changing my mind on here :o
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Well I'm still completely torn over what to do next and I'm swinging from one idea to another.

I'm feeling a bit down at the moment, which is ridiculous I know, I've been working hard to get to debt freedom and now that it's in sight I just feel a bit anti-climactic and very down.

The next thing I need to work on really is my weight. It's getting way out of control. My appointment for the acid reflux op came through for mid-May and I have to cancel as I'm still 10 kilo away from them doing the op - I only had 12 kilo to lose so I'm not exactly doing very well :o

I sound like I'm whining and ungrateful for this amazing gift and I feel awful, because I am so very grateful that I can't even describe but I just feel a bit lost.

Sorry for the not so upbeat post. Normal service will resume shortly I am sure.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Kirsty
    My dfd was such an anti climax for me. I'd worked for years and thought it would be a massive celebration, but it wasn't. I just felt really flat about it, and didn't quite believe it. Plus this brilliant debt free life I planned afterwards has not materialised - I still need to watch every penny. I totally get where you're coming from. Try just to ride with it though, and move onto your next project.
    I need to do something about my weight too - it's starting to get me a bit down. I just can't decide what to do in terms of diet and exercise. Maybe we can motivate each other a bit.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sorry to hear your feeling low I totally get where your coming from every time I clear a target I think I have like a day where I'm all chuffed with myself and then I start to think of what next and I too start to feel down but it does pass.

Have you thought about joining a slimming club like weight watchers or slimming world, I've done weight watchers since my youngest was born and he's four in August I've kept majority of the weight off but the support you get from other people to keep going defo spurs me on, I don't think I would have lost all that weight off if I didn't have the group support xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Kirsty

Congratulations! Even if it feels like an anti climax now it is still an amazing thing long term.

Take care

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Thank you all.

I'm sure I will feel very up and down for the next few weeks, I'm really irrationally pleased that you felt the same though CCL, I was wondering what is wrong with me :o

I think spurring each other on weight loss wise is a great plan too, it's always good to be accountable to someone else if I cheat, I am much more disciplined then!

There are a few things going on in the background fertility wise which are a bit upsetting at the moment too, and I know that will be having an effect on my mental state.

On the plus side, OHs mom only has 2 chemos left and although her hair has gone she is in good spirits. Until the next chemo anyway, it really leaves her feeling awful so she is rotten for 2 weeks afterwards.

Our flights to NZ are booked. We got a very good deal compared to what we were expecting having looked before. They are on a 29 month 0% CC. Although the money is in savings to cover them, I would just rather earn interest on that for now. How times change!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport