I WILL get there!!

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    My DH and I had completely joint finances from just before we married and it led to all sorts of arguments as I was a budgeter, as you are, and my DH is a spend it until it's gone and forget about direct debits still to come out. Thankfully he never had a credit card at that time(credit was less freely available and high interest rates) but we were saving nothing, had 2 small children and I was running short of money for food and fuel.

We eventually settled on a weekly cash withdrawal for all discretionary spends, now we each have a personal account with a £250 allowance. It worked much better then as DH didn't touch the joint account, the food and fuel account lasted the month and we were able to save in pots and for the future.

Now our children are grown, we are debt free and mortgage free and he is early retired at 58 and I retire this year also at 58 he gets that being careful with money gives you options. He is much more careful now.

Hopefully your OH will soon see the benefits of keeping within a budget too. You are doing so well with the debt busting considering you have moved twice over the life of your diary. Final stretch now hopefully and that longed for baby :)

Thanks es he really thinks he does well at budgeting but we get to payday week and he's excited by how much he has left so blows it on something ridiculous rather than saving it :cool:

I hope he ends up like your hubby - I really want to get started on MFW board as soon as the debt is gone but he is more happy with smaller OPs to the mortgage and more money to spend - but it just gets frittered away so I'd rather stick with my plan :o bit of a control freak so I don't like to hand over control or have to change my plan, especially when I've spent so long on my lovely OP spreadsheets :)
    abba1772 wrote: »
    I'm the same we don't have. Joint account my hubby gets paid every Friday and he transfers the majority of his wages to my account and keeps about £100 to himself a week God know what he spends it on but I'm able to budget save and pay off debts with the money into my account .......the thought of a joint account fills me with dread as I would be constantly asking what he's spent his money on xx

It scares the life out of me Abba - when we talked about it I actually told him we would be arguing all the time and he agreed but said it was something we would need to work on... the problem is I know I'm quite a begrudging person when it comes to spending money on rubbish like work lunches when I make him perfectly good (hot!) lunches for everyday and then I get resentful that he is spending money unnecessarily when I'm scrimping to make OPs.
    We probably need to work on his budgeting skills and my attitude to him spending money if I'm honest :o

K xx
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    My grandparents are here and settling in nicely. Worried about my Nan though - she is getting very forgetful and seemed quite upset about it yesterday. It's been getting worse for a while but she couldn't remember where we lived or where the bedroom was, my birthday etc. and it has shaken me a bit.

They have booked a 60th Anniversary party for next August (nothing like planning ahead :rotfl:) and I was suddenly very worried that she wouldn't remember what it was for, or that she won't be around when we have a little one or get married. My grandparents are my biggest help and supporters and I'd be lost without them. Feeling very emotional at the moment!

I'm off to make them breakfast anyway, I can hear them pottering and I want to make the most of this weekend with them :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't want to ask as im scared of your answer. The two houses either side of us have had theirs replaced and not joined to ours properly and ours has been patched up and leaks everywhere. I never thought it could be asbestos and it said metal in our survey. We have booked in to have it replaced as it has a hole in the soffit and it's leaking all the time and they've said even the gutters are asbestos. I'm so scared for my girls. Got to wait til end of May for the replacement. Such a drama.
    Might it be better to just give him an allowance? That's what we do. xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    60 years! wow that's amazing. sorry kirsty xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Oh kitten I really feel for you - the A word is so scary to most people as there is a lot of scaremongering. Don't get me wrong it can be a dangerous substance but it depends on the type and what material it is in - have you had a sample done to determine the material?

There are a lot of companies out there who will insist it might be asbestos when in reality you can only tell using a PLM microscope. It's not visible to the naked eye. Even people in the industry for years can get it wrong without the use of the scope. Also check out who is doing the removal - they should have sufficient insurance and a waste carriers license if they are removing it from your house (plus a HSE asbestos removal license depending on the material)

It's complex but much scarier sounding than it really is xx
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you enjoy a fantastic weekend with the grandparents Kirsty xxx
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Thank you CCL, hope you had a wonderful time away :) I'll pop over to your diary once I've updated :)

Well I have some pretty major news. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I'll be banking a cheque tomorrow which will go a long way to making me DF....it's quite a long story but involves my amazing parents and a payout they have had - they have paid me the money they owed me and more besides.

They are also paying for my fertility acupuncture. Completely unexpected and was the cause of many happy tears yesterday, but I also feel a bit like I'm cheating to get to the end result.

I've decided that I will be splitting what I would normally paying between the remaining credit card, mortgage OP, savings for our NZ trip and savings for when/if we hopefully have a reduced income. I didn't think I would ever be wishing for a drop in income but this one will be because of maternity leave if we can make it happen. Fingers crossed!!

I'm still in shock to be honest. Trying to make plans for when I'm debt free is something I had planned for a while away!
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    How exciting what lovely parents you have xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow Kirsty. That is incredible!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    Hi Kirsty

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday. Belated birthday wishes. I hope you are having a lovely time with your grandparents and I'm also glad you had a lovely time away.

OH has definitely earned some brownie points with the PC.

Take care.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income