I WILL get there!!

Options

Comments

• kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Morning!

Thanks Sashy, I felt bad for a few days after the conversation that I might have been too harsh but I figured it's best to say what I mean now, before I get pregnant and will likely be hormonal and extra harsh if anything like my sister :o

I said to OH if we were millionaires, I'd happily have a brand new pram and furniture, but we aren't and I'd rather save the money for the little ones future. OH feels very strongly about not letting my family take over in terms of buying things - they went overboard for my niece and it upset my sister as she felt like they were taking away her excitement of buying things.

That's a reasonable price - if I found a pram for £280 I'd probably buy a new one too - I've obviously been brain washed by my sisters insistence that that is normal cost for a new pram - I feel a bit better knowing there are cheaper options :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Ammeretto
    Options
    Hi Kirstypoos

hope you don't mind be jumping in. I have just read through your diary.
    unfortunately whenever there is a new baby involved everyone wants to provide their own opinion of what is best. I learnt to just listen, nod and say thanks for the info and then do what i thought was best for us as a family.

I have to say that purchasing second hand baby stuff is definitely the way to go.
    They grow so fast that they are not in the stuff for long.
    With my first everything we had was second hand apart from the mattress and car seat.

Same with my second apart from this time we bought a new pram - but we paid £150 for it and that included the pram, umbrella, cosy toe, rain covers, car seat and isofix base for the car.
    i couldn't contemplate paying £850 for a new pram.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Kirsty

I think you are being very sensible. There is so much 'stuff' associated with babies and it is mad and laughable when you stop to consider all a new born wants is a) it's Mum or main care giver b) warmth C) to be held.

Anything over and above a baby sling, nappies, a warm blanket and a few baby gros and somewhere to sleep at night, is overkill.

It's the classic human reaction to throw money around at every excuse though and you have to remember how your mindset will have changed since going on this journey.

Stick to your guns.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Ammeretto wrote: »
    Hi Kirstypoos

hope you don't mind be jumping in. I have just read through your diary.
    unfortunately whenever there is a new baby involved everyone wants to provide their own opinion of what is best. I learnt to just listen, nod and say thanks for the info and then do what i thought was best for us as a family.

I have to say that purchasing second hand baby stuff is definitely the way to go.
    They grow so fast that they are not in the stuff for long.
    With my first everything we had was second hand apart from the mattress and car seat.

Same with my second apart from this time we bought a new pram - but we paid £150 for it and that included the pram, umbrella, cosy toe, rain covers, car seat and isofix base for the car.
    i couldn't contemplate paying £850 for a new pram.

Hi Ammeretto - thanks for stopping by! I'm so pleased to hear from people who have gone down the 2nd hand route be positive about it.
    I know it's the right thing for us, I just need a bit of reassurance sometimes :o
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi Kirsty

I think you are being very sensible. There is so much 'stuff' associated with babies and it is mad and laughable when you stop to consider all a new born wants is a) it's Mum or main care giver b) warmth C) to be held.

Anything over and above a baby sling, nappies, a warm blanket and a few baby gros and somewhere to sleep at night, is overkill.

It's the classic human reaction to throw money around at every excuse though and you have to remember how your mindset will have changed since going on this journey.

Stick to your guns.

Bob

Thanks Bob - I think I am in just a completely different mindset to them, and I worry that they will over ride what we want to do.

Definitely sticking to our guns though!!
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    I met up with some friends tonight having ummed and ahhed about whether to go - I really didn't want to!
    I'm so glad I did though - found out that one of my close friends is pregnant :) I'm so pleased for them. I sort of knew they were trying so it wasn't as much of a shock as my sister and friend last year and I'm dealing with it very well for me :o
    Also found out another set of friends are looking into sibling adoption. I feel like we are all growing up!

Another friend (who was trying for a long time and had 2 failed IVFs before falling pregnant naturally) is due in less than 2 weeks and is finding the end a real struggle so I've been messaging her a lot over the past few days. It's all babies at the moment. Lovely but makes me so impatient to get on with becoming debt free and having babies!!
  • Bobarella
    Options
    It will be your turn next! Exciting!

• kirtsypoos
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    It will be your turn next! Exciting!

Gosh I hope so Bob :D
  • kirtsypoos
    Options
    Todays PAD was a mortgage OP rather than CC repayment. I'm trying to be sensible - this money is put aside for mortgage OPs which is still a debt repayment of sorts so I'm counting it as a PAD :)

OH is out at kung fu tonight and I'm looking forward to sleeping while he is out - I'm not sleeping very well and I feel rotten at the moment so I just want to doze on the sofa. My acid reflux is playing up terrible at the moment so I'm waking up 10-15 times in the night to have a swig of medicine and readjust the pillows so my throat isn't burning - I think that's why I'm so exhausted!
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Oh no, sounds really awful. Poor thing.

• kirtsypoos
    Options
    Well the trouble sleeping turned into a migraine and what I think is a tummy bug :( I've stayed home from work but been working as best I can from the laptop as I don't want to walk into a massive pile of work on Monday!

We are supposed to be going to look at a car tomorrow but I'm not sure if I'll be up to it in all honesty. Will have to see how I feel in the morning.

OH has gone for an after work drink with his new workmates at the pub up the road so I'm going to try and have a little nap before he gets back.

Happy Friday all!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport