We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Disneyland Paris/EuroDisney - Questions & Answers

Options

Comments

• redned_2
    redned_2 Posts: 156 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2011 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Thanks balletshoes, I booked on the phone to avoid mistakes but still managed it

bestpud "We've booked that deal too (well, the hotel part anyway) and can't wait!" really chuffed with the price been looking for ages! I think DH is a bit "overwhelmed" by my enthusiasm:D so I will just have to come on here! lol

Yeah, bit gutted about the insurance thing but just keep telling myself it could be worse! Have emailed disney as they didn't ask any questions at all for the insurance - I have a pre existing medical condition so will see what they say.

amorge - thank you I will look into that now.
  • vik987
    vik987 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    get crunching those numbers ;) - and remember that Friday and Saturday check-in dates will increase your hotel price, so plan to check in on another day of the week (and preferably avoid weekends altogether at DLP).

Thanks very much for your post.

I will defo think about half board and mickey cafe

As for eurostar I've looked direct and they can do it cheaper however it means a change in trains and waiting for 1 hour and 25 mins inbetween plus get luggage on and off with a toddler and pram. not sure it too much hassle??
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2011 at 11:29PM
    Options
    vik987 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your post.

I will defo think about half board and mickey cafe

As for eurostar I've looked direct and they can do it cheaper however it means a change in trains and waiting for 1 hour and 25 mins inbetween plus get luggage on and off with a toddler and pram. not sure it too much hassle??

just had a quick look on the DLP site for hotel/park tickets - total is £567 for the Santa Fe if you can go Tuesday 13th December for 4 nights, this is the total for all of you, including breakfasts and 5-day park hopper tickets (this has a 25% discount offer on it). There are no direct Eurostar trains to DLP from the UK on Tuesdays or back on Saturdays, but its not a problem changing at Lille at all, and it appears to be only about £300 total return for all of you to travel this way (might even be cheaper if any of your adults are aged under 26, as there are youth prices on Eurostar).
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    redned wrote: »

bestpud "We've booked that deal too (well, the hotel part anyway) and can't wait!" really chuffed with the price been looking for ages! I think DH is a bit "overwhelmed" by my enthusiasm:D so I will just have to come on here! lol

We were sorting winter clothes earlier and found our Disney hats. DD said she really misses it so I said we'll go again next next January, meaning 2013. She thought I meant next January so said to DH we may be going.

I've now told her there is no way we can go that soon and she was all but crying, bless her!

I didn't buckle though! She is going to be so thrilled when she finds out!

Just go to contain myself until then! :rotfl:

DLRP and the Disboards are good for airing the enthusiasm too! ;)
  • balletshoes
    Options
    :rotfl:I did a surprise trip for my DD once - only managed it once because I was bursting to tell her for the whole 3 months I had it booked and was planning all the details - DIS boards stopped me going completely loopy :rotfl::rotfl:.
  • bestpud
    Options
    :rotfl:I did a surprise trip for my DD once - only managed it once because I was bursting to tell her for the whole 3 months I had it booked and was planning all the details - DIS boards stopped me going completely loopy :rotfl::rotfl:.

How did you tell her? I'm thinking of a treasure hunt of some kind...
  • balletshoes
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    How did you tell her? I'm thinking of a treasure hunt of some kind...

I'm not at all imaginative in that way - we were leaving on a Sunday afternoon, so in the morning when she woke, my DD asked what we were going to do that day. I said I wanted to go to DLP, DD said "oh you always say that" and I said "yes but shall we just go, today?". Cue lots of jumping around and "are you tricking me Mum" from DD :D:D. It was worth keeping the surprise though, to see the look on her face.
  • babyfruitella
    Options
    Aaaaw I watched a video on youtube the other day where a little girl was surprised with a trip to Disneyland (the one in California not Paris). Search Lily's Disneyland Surprise on there/ It was her birthday soon & they did it in such a lovely way. She was crying her eyes out.
    COMP WINS FOR HUBBY & I SINCE SEPTEMBER:
    2 £50 DOMINOS VOUCHERS, 13 PAIRS OF FOOTBALL TICKETS, MICROSOFT HOME EDTN, 2 PAIRS OF ALTON TOWERS TICKETS, 1 CASE OF PERCY PIGS, 1 PAIR OF LEATHER LADIES GLOVES, 4 COLLECTION 2000 PRODUCTS, PLAYSTATION 3 WITH FIFA 12, 5* HOTEL STAY IN LONDON, SEASON 6 OF SUPERNATURAL DVD, PERFECT PIZZA VOUCHER
  • maisiescamp
    maisiescamp Posts: 487 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2011 at 10:43PM
    Options
    I have booked for me, DH & 2 DD's aged 3 & 6 to go in Feb, got a great deal on it staying at Santa Fe, 3 days/2 nights, Eurostar, Disney 3 day pass & half board for £550. Was really chuffed and managed to convince a reluctant DH to let me book!

However today he has come home saying he has spoken to a couple that have just returned and told him quite how expensive it is :(

Just wondered if you helpful people could shed some light, they have told him £10 for a glass of coke, £6 bottle of water, £50 for burger & chips for 4, disney dresses £100+.......Is it REALLY that expensive?
  • bestpud
    edited 5 November 2011 at 5:06AM
    Options
    I have booked for me, DH & 2 DD's aged 3 & 6 to go in Feb, got a great deal on it staying at Santa Fe, 3 days/2 nights, Eurostar, Disney 3 day pass & half board for £550. Was really chuffed and managed to convince a reluctant DH to let me book!

However today he has come home saying he has spoken to a couple that have just returned and told him quite how expensive it is :(

Just wondered if you helpful people could shed some light, they have told him £10 for a glass of coke, £6 bottle of water, £50 for burger & chips for 4, disney dresses £100+.......Is it REALLY that expensive?

It can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be!

I would buy princess dresses here and give them to the girls when there if they like that kind of thing. The costumes are expensive, but no different from the ones you can buy in Disney stores here. At that age, your children will not know the difference if they just appear! They could even be a 'gift' from their favourite character, delivered to their room!

I've not seen coke for £10 a glass, but I've not been in the best restaurants, so maybe it is in those...

Burger meals are around £12 for adults but cheaper for kids, so I think that a bit of an exaggeration too! The prices really aren't much worse thn somewhere like Legoland or Alton Towers though.

Check out the menu boards here so you can judge for yourselves:

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/

If money is tight, there is always Macdonalds in the Villlage.

Also, the fish and chip portions in Toad Hall are big! If you want a good, filling meal for burger and chip prices, I recommend there.

You could go half board too... You won't save money, but if your OH is like mine, he may prefer to know that breakfast and evening meal are covered before you go?

Don't forget you can make up rolls at breakfast time. Not allowed as such, but nobody bats an eyelid, not even the guards checking the bags at the park gates! They have ham, cheese, yogurts and fresh fruit. We take sandwich bags with us to pop them in. (Yes, I'm really that bad!)

There is a petrol station next to the Santa Fe, so it will be cheaper to buy pop/water in there if you want it for your room or to take into the park.

We always take a flask and make up hot chocolate in the room, but a couple of counter cafes give you a voucher for a free hot drink later in the day. It's one per purchase though, so you have to go through the tills separately... (I presume they still do this!)

I hope that helps a bit?

It really does depend how you go about it! If you want to go cheap, you can, but of you want to splash out, you can certainly do that too!!

Of you're anything like us, you'll love it no matter what your budget!! :j

Definitely check out the menus so your OH can rebuke his negative colleague! Nothing like a bit of exaggeration is there!! *rolls eyes*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport