Help. Fake iPad scam from John Lewis.

Options
My elderly parents have just been victims to fake iPad scam at John Lewis and are absolutely devastated. Does anyone have any advice?

They are the kind of retired couple everyone regards as a sweet, generous and community focused. They live in a small town, volunteer for local causes donate to charity and are busy helping out with their grand children.

Last week they went to John Lewis to buy an iPad mini as their entry into the modern world, it was something they had wanted to do for ages and they drove miles to the nearest Branch in Cambridge because of its reputation for excellent customer service.

After paying £500 on their debit card they took it home, however my quite indecisive and frugal mother soon realised that they did not actually need such an extravagance and could have easily made do with a lesser model. They were after all not very technologically aware and realised they would not need the features of the latest device. They had taken it out of the box to look at it and removed the screen film but had not set it up or switched it on. It had remained unused.

After calling the branch to ask if an exchange was possible which it was they took it back to the same branch.

Unfortunately and to their horror the shop stated that the serial numbers did not match and they were in possession of a fake. The branch clearly and understandably assumed they were trying to pull a fast one. My confused and completely bewildered parents argued with them for an hour and a half, my mother in tears. They said they would investigate but actually treated them like criminal suspects. At no point had the iPad been out of my parent sight in the 4 days they had it. They spoke to the police, fearing they were in possession of stolen goods and were victims of a scam but were told that they would not do anything as this was a civil dispute John Lewis.

My parents now have a fake iPad in a box, have lost £500 and have been falsely accused of something they have not done. They are both emotional and devastated and don't know where to turn. John Lewis refuse to take any responsibility or entertain the possibility that they may have a security weakness somewhere.

Please any advice for them would be most appreciated. :-(

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I don't normally suggest going to the top with a complaint in this case I think googling for an email address for Andy Street may get you a quick, and hopefully successful, result. You'll find it easily enough, and it did work for me when I resorted to it.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you contacted Apple direct and asked them to check the serial number?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was the box sealed ?

Get apple to check the Serial numbers on both the iPad and the box, something has gone wrong somewhere.

Does the receipt not show a Serial number ?
  • Shaff
    Shaff Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    The iPad is a real fake, even the logo is not correct. The box serial number matches the receipt...
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 June 2015 at 11:40PM
    Options
    You must know what the 3 main answers are, they come up on the forum often enough...

- Complain to the top of John Lewis -the CEO's name has already been provided. Has the Store Manager been consulted?

- Use the Small Claims procedure to sue JL (though I can't imagine it actually getting to Court).

- Contact the issuing bank for the Debit Card.

I have to say, I am extremely sceptical about this story. Sadly, but perhaps predictably, "scam" is one of the most over-used words on the forum, and I don't believe for one minute that its use is appropriate here.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shaff wrote: »
    My elderly parents have just been victims to fake iPad scam at John Lewis and are absolutely devastated. Does anyone have any advice?

They are the kind of retired couple everyone regards as a sweet, generous and community focused. They live in a small town, volunteer for local causes donate to charity and are busy helping out with their grand children.

God fearing church-goers?
  • Shaff
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure the small claims would entertain this. I presume debit cards will not hold liability unlike credit cards. Will write to the CEO.

I'm not a regular user so not aware of all the scam stories, did not mean to over use the word just thought it would be a good place to turn for help.

This happened on Thursday I'll keep the forum updated as to what happens.
  • Shaff
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    God fearing church-goers?

Hindus actually...

My father ran a dry cleaners for most of his life my mother worked for the NHS. Was just trying to convey how unlikely it is for them to be involved in something like this...
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 June 2015 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure the small claims would entertain this.
    Why not? Not that they vet cases, I don't think.
    I presume debit cards will not hold liability unlike credit cards. Will write to the CEO.
    Yes, it would have been better to make such a large purchase on a credit card. IIUC, it is now possible to get a Chargeback on a Debit Card, but you'll have needed to have tried all avenues with JL first.

Don't write to the CEO - why prolong the agony? Phone or e-mail. If you/your folks have not already spoken with the Store Manager, do that first.
    I'm not a regular user so not aware of all the scam stories, did not mean to over use the word just thought it would be a good place to turn for help.
    Missing the point. Whatever this turns out to be, I guarantee that John Lewis plc is not running an iPad scam.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not sure the small claims would entertain this.
    Why not?

I presume debit cards will not hold liability unlike credit cards.
    I guess you haven't read about chargeback?

Start with MSE's article on the subject.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure