Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2019 at 4:34PM
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    What's the wait time now?

September 2018 they reckoned they did 2/3 within 3 months, though confusingly another page on their site also from September says "well over two thirds within 6 months".

Edit

1st January to 31st January 2018 they only received 84925 PPI complaints
  • Keeperz
    Options
    It's not a car loan.

Funnily enough, they had a local office, so the loans were sorted in person.

I was advised that I needed PPI to actually get the loans.

They have the account numbers so not sure what the hold up is...
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Keeperz wrote: »
    It's not a car loan.

Funnily enough, they had a local office, so the loans were sorted in person.

I was advised that I needed PPI to actually get the loans.

Most likely they need to work out if your complaint reasons are valid
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Finding out who sold it
    Finding any sales documentation
    Finding out if you even had PPI (loan account number doesnt give it away)
    Looking at your complaint reasons to see if they have any evidence to support your allegations
    Seeing if there are any other failures identified.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Minno
    Options
    A couple of years ago I sent off some standard letters to any financial banks etc. I could remember having dealings with over the years. I was certain I'd not had any PPI. Most letters I received back confirmed my thoughts except one from Barclays. I'd apparently had 2 loans back around 1999 which I can't even remember and I received a cheque for over £7,000!

One of the companies I wrote to was Lloyds as I'd had an account with them for over 20 years and various loans and credit cards. They wrote back and said they couldn't find any records of any accounts, so I found an old account number and sent that back, they wrote again and said I'd not had any PPI. I didn't think any more of it until early this year with the deadline looming.

I decided to go through their website this time and try again on the off chance. I received a huge pack in the post requested a ton of into which I knew I didn't have. I left it to one side and forgot about it. I then received another letter, which I thought was a follow up to the previous one, but it was them admitting I had been mis-sold PPI on a loan and they would send me a cheque for over £9,000! To say I am chuffed is a huge understatement! Just goes to show, never give up!
  • THATSMINE_2019
    Options
    success - DEBENHAMS Store Card
    • What were you reclaiming: (store card)
    • Who was the provider: (DEBENHAMS/FINANCIAL INSURANCE LTD (Part of AXA))
    • How much did you get back: £600 (initial offer was 59 pence - no word of a lie - I laughed)
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Financial Ombudsman - they made sure the lender improved the offer
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    • Checked my CCN Credit File Report (CCN=Commercial Credit Nottingham is now Experian) which I had from 1982. Sent letter and ppi questionnaire off to Genworth Financial Services in 2017 but was surprised to receive a letter from Santander. Santander admitted ppi was added to DEBENHAMS store card (i.e. box pre-ticked on the application form) and offered a settlement figure of £0.59. I referred the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service after receiving the silly offer. FOS contacted FIC Ltd and secured a better offer. FIC Ltd improved the offer to £600. I accepted the offer in 2018.
      Just to let you know, I received my DEBENHAMS store card in 1985 - 33 years ago. Credit limit was £500. Balance settled in 1991. Just goes to show, it is still possible to reclaim ppi on old store cards.
  • SUCCESS !!
    RECLAIMED PPI ON 2 LOANS FROM CEDAR HOLDINGS LIMITED

* What were you reclaiming: Loan x2
    * Who was the provider: Cedar Holdings Limited (via Black Horse)
    * How much did you get back: over £2,000
    * Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: After a letter from Black Horse.
    * Write your brief reclaim tale:
    I already had old paperwork from CEDAR HOLDINGS LIMITED.
    Loans were taken out in 1988 (over 30 years ago). Balance of £3000 was settled in 1991.

PPI was automatically added to the loan.
    Submitted ppi questionnaire to Black Horse in 2017. It took some time for Black Horse to deal with my complaint so contacted Financial Ombudsman but FOS said they could not consider my complaint on the grounds it pre-dates 2005 regulations.
    Black Horse eventually paid out over £2000 in 2018.
  • vinmiz
    vinmiz Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2019 at 12:07PM
    Options
    Took out our first mortgage in 1994 with Abbey National. I was told that my mortgage would only be approved if I took out protection insurance so went ahead with it. We sold in 2000 and changed lenders with no insurance as my job was more secure. Ever since the PPI scandal was announced I have been trying to get my money back. This went on for many years each time trying with a different refund company but with no joy. I lost hope until a couple of years ago when I found a complaint process on the Santander website (formally Abbey) and used this. They said they cannot find any details. Eventually I went to my local branch and asked if they could do a search for my mortgage details. They found it!!
    I asked why Santander couldn't find it before but he said he cannot answer for them. I then raised another complaint but adding my account number this time. Eventually they came back saying "cannot find any details associated with protection insurance". I asked if they were saying that I DIDN'T have protection insurance and they said "No, we are saying that we cannot find any details".
    I then got the Financial Ombudsman involved and to cut a long story short they couldn't help me. Because I didn't have any paperwork (who would from 1994) I couldn't prove that I had protection insurance. I am 100% certain that I did but couldn't prove it. The bank couldn't find, or didn't want to find, any details so the Ombudsman couldn't help.
    So, the bottom line is that if you haven't got any proof or paperwork from many years ago then you will struggle with your claim. I know I had protection insurance but the bank is able to get away with it. Not happy!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    vinmiz wrote: »
    So, the bottom line is that if you haven't got any proof or paperwork from many years ago then you will struggle with your claim.

It's understandable that if no one, including yourself, has any evidence to support your complaint, that it won't go anywhere.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    vinmiz wrote: »
    Took out our first mortgage in 1994 with Abbey National. I was told that my mortgage would only be approved if I took out protection insurance so went ahead with it. We sold in 2000 and changed lenders with no insurance as my job was more secure. Ever since the PPI scandal was announced I have been trying to get my money back. This went on for many years each time trying with a different refund company but with no joy. I lost hope until a couple of years ago when I found a complaint process on the Santander website (formally Abbey) and used this. They said they cannot find any details. Eventually I went to my local branch and asked if they could do a search for my mortgage details. They found it!!
    I asked why Santander couldn't find it before but he said he cannot answer for them. I then raised another complaint but adding my account number this time. Eventually they came back saying "cannot find any details associated with protection insurance". I asked if they were saying that I DIDN'T have protection insurance and they said "No, we are saying that we cannot find any details".
    I then got the Financial Ombudsman involved and to cut a long story short they couldn't help me. Because I didn't have any paperwork (who would from 1994) I couldn't prove that I had protection insurance. I am 100% certain that I did but couldn't prove it. The bank couldn't find, or didn't want to find, any details so the Ombudsman couldn't help.
    So, the bottom line is that if you haven't got any proof or paperwork from many years ago then you will struggle with your claim. I know I had protection insurance but the bank is able to get away with it. Not happy!!

What exactly is the issue here?

Of course if you can't prove you had it you can't progress it. It's logical that a mortgage in 1994 would long be deleted as it was ended in 2000

What is the bank getting away with? MPPI is a good product that can save your home if you lose your job. How do you intend to prove your initial allegation?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback