PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They have provided a breakdown but it makes no sense at all.
    I'm not going to speculate. Ask the Bank to provide an explanation of the breakdown.
  • Nettyspaghetti
    Options
    I rang Lloyds Bank about a loan i knew i had many years ago ,i was told they couldn't find it but that they found 2 others i had with Halifax. I have since rec'd £4000
  • dbcalifornia
    Options
    Hi thought I would share my experience with you re Barclays. I knew during the 90's & early 2000-2005 I had least two loans with them plus 4/5 credit cards(use to change cards for better interest rates) . I contacted Barclays via there website to try and find details, as had had no paperwork or any account information that I could give them . This was in January 2017 - I received two letters back from them both saying they were unable to trace any accounts. I thought well that is it then . In March i spotted an advert from PPI company (The Claims Guys) and thought I try them, if they were able to find details it be a bonus as Barclays had no records.
    Three weeks later I received 7 letters via post requesting me to sign and return - each form had Loan details/ Credit card details dating back to 1990. How they were able to get details and I could not surprised me. I completed forms as requested. I have so far had three replies from Barclays. Two Letters agreeing with me PPI Claim with refunds over £3500 and another letter rejecting claim. The rejected claim had a copy letter with it which they say refers to a claim made last year dated November 2016. This is strange as I never applied for any PPI last year never received the alleged original letter. Anyway still awaiting reply on other claims but just thought if anyone fails to get details from Bank then maybe a Third party could help you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just thought if anyone fails to get details from Bank then maybe a Third party could help you.
    I'm afraid I'm marking your post as spam, since it promotes a Claims Company by giving false information about their abilities.
    Claims Companies do absolutely nothing you cannot do yourself for free.

If you've received £3,500 in redress, how much of that was taken in fees by the company?
    With tax, that would be around £1,500, no?:eek:
  • dbcalifornia
    Options
    Apologies re promotion - was just sharing my experience. However yes the amounts are correct which puts me £2000 in pocket which I did not have before. I tried to ' do it for free' as you state but got nowhere - so therefore I could not do myself.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apologies re promotion - was just sharing my experience. However yes the amounts are correct which puts me £2000 in pocket which I did not have before. I tried to ' do it for free' as you state but got nowhere - so therefore I could not do myself.
    Unfortunately, you are £1500 out-of-pocket because you gave up and employed a Claims Management Company.
    What you failed to do was simply send the Bank a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter which, for a measly £10 rather than £1000+, would have obliged the Bank to send all details they have kept on file for you. Doubtless, this is what the Claims Company will have done in order to turn up the PPI which the Bank then refunded as mis-sold. If you had complained again giving the Bank the same information you gave to the company, the result would have been exactly the same except that you'd now have £3,500!

Don't you find it galling that you were charged over £1000 because someone put a stamp on the envelope containing a complaint you provided the details of????:eek:

Earlier, I accused you of posting spam, but on reflection you post can stand as a warning to others NOT to use a Claims Company. A visit to this site (and others) could have furnished you with the method of extracting old records used by this company thereby putting fully a third of your redress back in your pocket.

As for what to do now: If I were you I'd complain to Barclays about their initial failure to find your account details, along with their apparent incompetence over the phantom complaint you allegedly made last year.
  • o1nk
    o1nk Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yorkshire Bank story. I bet this one may take some beating.

What were you reclaiming: 3 loans over a few years in the mid 90's
    Who was the provider: Yorkshire Bank
    How much did you get back: £5348
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Letter

OK, I have never been into this PPI reclaim thing, as I am a Yorkshireman and I didn't believe in insurances. Especially loans.
    I spoke to my brother a few weeks ago and he filled in the template on this site and got £3000 back.
    I thought, fill it in for a laugh. The laugh was disbelief one Saturday morning when a letter from Clydesdale Bank (didn't know they bought Yorkshire Bank) said I was entitled to £5348. Shocked? Flabbergasted.
    The theory, as my brother pointed out, was that Yorkshire Bank were very quick to give loans out but only would give you the loan if you had the insurance.

THIS WAS 23 YEARS AGO!

I had no paperwork. No idea of when the loans were. No account number. All I had was Yorkshire Bank, my address and roughly when the loans were taken.

I returned the acceptance form 22 days ago and rang them up today. Mainly to see if the cheque was sent. 'No' was the reply 'because we haven't received it from Payments yet. But we will send it out as soon as we receive it'

My dilemma on this is simple. They state 28 days to pay out. Is this Clydesdale's figure? Or is it the Ombudsman figure?
    I'm sorry but I trust no one these days.
    What happens if they do go over the 28 days without payment received? They offered, I accepted and they give me a timeframe for payment.

In short. Just give it a go on the template on here. It costs you nothing and you could get plenty.
    I thought I was due nothing ..... how wrong I was
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 19 May 2017 at 11:10AM
    Options
    o1nk wrote: »
    What happens if they do go over the 28 days without payment received?
    I'd cross that bridge when (if) you come to it. Ombudsman is obviously available to you if there is any significant delay, but it's unlikely you'll be kept waiting too long...
  • Hannah_17
    Hannah_17 Posts: 8 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Loan
    Who was the provider: Barclays
    How much did you get back: £2,898.48
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Used Resolver

After the annoying phone calls and annoying TV adverts I decided to help my partner look into old loans, just in case. He had no memory of agreeing to PPI.
    First we contacted the bank asking for all information they had on his previous loans, he'd had 3 in total 1997, 2001 and 2006. Once I had the paperwork it was obvious he had paid for insurance.
    I then read the money savings expert PPI page and filed a complaint using the Resolver online tool. No posting needed, just took a picture and added that to the claim as extra proof. Within 8 days of the complaint he received 2 refunds with no questions ask straight into his account. The 3rd loan he had to speak with someone over the phone and they just asked him what he remembered. In all honesty he remembered very little and told them so and said he was not someone who usually paid for insurance. And within a week a 3rd refund was deposited straight into his bank account.
    In total his insurances were £1,253.12 and he was refunded a total of £2,898.48.
    So glad we did it, no 3rd party company needed and we got to keep all the money. It only took a few hours of our time and a little organisation. The process took 15 days once complaint was in.
  • markh1965
    markh1965 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the success rate for mppi?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business