Options

Comments

• OhSnap241
    OhSnap241 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2013 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help?

I was recently contact by MBNA about a credit card i had 8 years ago. They said i may be owed PPI and i should fill out an attached questionaire. Being that the credit card was more than 8 years ago i stated that i could not remember opting for PPI and could not think of a reason why i would require it (i had never opted for it on any of my loans or mortgage).
    I then had a phone call from MBNA request further info about my income at the time, my saving, out goings and the money i would have recieved if i was sick or made redundant.
    A few days later i recieved a letter stating that i was not entitled to claim back my PPI as it would not have affected my sickness or redundany payments, it would have covered my minimum payments and i had opted into it (they sent my a barely visible photocopy showing a box i had ticked but which didnt actually give any details of the PPI). They agreed that the details of my PPI had not been fully explained but they did not feel it would have affected my decision to purchase it.

Ive racked my brains since and remembered that this was my first credit card and i called MBNA to assist me in completing the form. When i asked about what the PPI was i was encouraged to take out the policy and being that this was my first application for a credit card, i felt it may have been rejected if i didnt take out the policy.

MBNA say this is there final word on the matter and if i wish to pursue the matter further i need to contact the financial ombudsman. Do i have a case to reclaim my PPI?
  • Needsun174
    Options
    FIRST DIRECT PPI WIN

Easiest thing I have done. Sent a secure message asking if I had ppi on any previous loans and credit card. They said yes, told me to fill out the attached ombudsman form. 2 cases of ppi..... 2 wins!!! £13k richer. This site is brilliant. Thanks for the advice!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OhSnap241 wrote: »
    MBNA say this is there final word on the matter and if i wish to pursue the matter further i need to contact the financial ombudsman. Do i have a case to reclaim my PPI?

No idea. Complain to the ombudsman and find out.....
    step 4

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-credit-card-insurance
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • hitback
    hitback Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    So far so good with the PPI Claims I have submitted:
    MBNA: £3199 received in Sept 2012 took 3 days from offer to receipt of cheque.
    Cap One: £979 received Dec 2012 took couple of weeks from offer to receipt of cheque.
    Now for the others!!!
    Nat West: Rejected and sent to Ombudsman Oct 2012 awaiting response from Ombudsman.
    Morgan Stanley: now Barclaycard. Rejected and sent to Ombudsman Oct 2012. Letter received yesterday from Ombudsman to advise Barclays are to make a gesture of goodwill offer. Am happy to accept this as the card is very old so the way I see it is something better than nothing.
    I would also say to anyone, do not be put off referring rejections to the Ombudsman due to the length of time it is currently taking to investigate claims. After all, you will have waited x amount of years for this money so what's a nother year or possibly less depending on your case. I think the banks would like the idea of people thinking it's too long to go through the Ombudsman so don't let em win!!! :D
    Debt at Sept 2006 £63,500:eek:
    Debt at Sept 2012 £24,400
    DFD Dec 2012! (if PPI claims come in) !! :beer:
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member 828

Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • paulparki
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first ever post. I had a loan £7000 back in 1998 with HFC Bank who are now owned by HSBC I think. I couldn't find any documentation on the loan so I called them and luckily the women managed to find the docs showing that I had PPI on a 5 year loan totalling to £2775. I printed out the letter from this site completed it and sent it off in July 2013 it's now mid August and I have already had a letter offering me £5438 which I have accepted. The loan is ten years old and I managed to reclaim it myself without any help. I was self employed at the time so I imagine that this helped my case but I am really pleased and the turn around time is crazy fast.
    So glad I didn't use a claims company who would have taken 30% so £1600.
    I am a happy man.
  • Janey1968
    Janey1968 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Took out a loan and card with Barclays back in 1998/99. Paid off card but still have loan outstanding which is part of my DMP.

Wrote to them 10 days ago with the template not really expecting anything as was not even sure I had taken PPI.

Had a letter back yesterday with a cheque.
    They explained in detail about how they worked it out and the amount was approx 3K. However they then "offset" my outstanding debt with most of it and sent me a cheque for the 8% compensation which came to approx £650.

Yeah, 3K would have been amazing, but im more than happy with £650.

Just waiting to hear back from M&S now.

I would really recommend people try this. I had NO IDEA I was owed anything and would never have tried had a friend not pushed me saying all I would loose is the price of a stamp.

Very happy!:beer:
  • Kshirl
    Kshirl Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    paulparki wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first ever post. I had a loan £7000 back in 1998 with HFC Bank who are now owned by HSBC I think. I couldn't find any documentation on the loan so I called them and luckily the women managed to find the docs showing that I had PPI on a 5 year loan totalling to £2775. I printed out the letter from this site completed it and sent it off in July 2013 it's now mid August and I have already had a letter offering me £5438 which I have accepted. The loan is ten years old and I managed to reclaim it myself without any help. I was self employed at the time so I imagine that this helped my case but I am really pleased and the turn around time is crazy fast.
    So glad I didn't use a claims company who would have taken 30% so £1600.
    I am a happy man.

That's great news. Well done!! I wonder if I could ask youwho you contacted? You said that you called a lady and she found documents. Did you call HFC or HSBC? My brother was also in the same position and took out a loan around the same time as you. He contacted HFC and they said that they did not have any paperwork which was older than 5 years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Kshirl
    Options
    Does anyone know who to contact about PPI a loan with Beneficial Bank?
  • Kshirl
    Options
    My brother sent a PPI claim to Barclaycard in 2011. The first lot of paperwork was lost by them. He had to resumbit the claim. He waited months and never heard anything from them so he complained to FOS. Early this year he received a letter from the FOS saying that their initial assessment was in his favour and they had written to Barclaycard. Barclaycard had until early April to reply. April came and went. No communciation from FOS or Barclaycard. He contacted FOS again and they said that they still hadn't heard from Barclaycard. Again weeks passed. He contacted FOS again a couple of weeks ago and still they have not received any response from Barclaycard. They said that they would contact Barclaycard again. Apparently they send lots of complaints at the same time so basically your claim could sit in a pile and wait for weeks before it is actually resubmitted to Barclaycard. This seems a ridiculous amount of time. What is the point of FOS setting dates when clearly Barclaycard don't bother to reply? Obviously they are not penalised for not sticking to deadlines either. My brother is beginning to think that this will never be settled.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kshirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know who to contact about PPI a loan with Beneficial Bank?

http://www.hfcbank.co.uk/html/payment_insurance.html
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback