Dear Diary Love from Rebecca

Options

Comments

• mummytogirls
    Options
    Hi Rebecca,

Beds are soooo expensive aren't they! We got a right bargain with our bed as it should have been £800 and we got it for £400 and its just too comfy even after 9 years! Im sure they say you should change your mattress every 8 years or something but I can't do it!!

Enjoy it ha!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 February 2016 at 8:29PM
    Options
    Well Pay day so thought I better update my details.

Car-6500
    Credit card-4000
    Savings -1000

I know I should not save when I have debt according to Martin. It is just a subconscious thing really. Just incase. There were redundancies at work last week. It made me think a little.

I have to wait till April for my bed Mummytogirls. Gutted lol . Yes I heard 8 years too. I wonder how many people actually do that.
  • Rebecca01
    edited 29 February 2016 at 8:41PM
    Options
    I have just read your diary and thought I would say I think you are doing very well.

It is hard living with family. At the moment, I live with my brother, his wife and my two daughters! I am in the process of buying him out of our house, but they won’t be moving out for a fair few months yet (my brother and his wife, that is, my children are staying with me, haha).

Completely understand when you say you can’t do right for doing wrong with your mum. I’ve just started seeing someone and my mum has completely changed her view from thinking I never go anywhere or do anything to myself, to I’m neglecting my daughters because I dare to go out on school/work night. Can’t win!

I know it’s not easy, but I agree with what others say and to grin and bear it if you can afford to buy in 8 months time. You can always overpay on a mortgage and hopefully the payment will go down, but if you rent, there’s only one way the rent will be going each year and that’s up!

I live in Hertfordshire, and house prices are crazy. Sometimes I do wonder why I’m trying so hard. That I don’t get to see my daughters as I’m always working. My initial plan is to stay here until they start secondary school and then think about moving further out from London. My problem is I have always lived in London or the outskirts, so it would be a whole new start for me.

So I will be following your diary with interest, good luck!

Pollyanna I am so sorry for some reason I have missed your post.

I know what you mean buy house prices in hertfordshire. My step daughters gran had a house on Croxley green. I am sure it was on the market for 6 figures.

How are you getting on with your new man? Has your mum mellowed?

Mine is up and down.

My parents were due to go to Derby on the 18th March. Again I was looking forward to a nice weekend just me and my daughter and probably my boyfriend.
    My Dad has informed me it is cancelled as she is "bad" again. My Dad told her that "Rebecca says you cant leave our town" ( which he should not have) she said is that a bad thing?
    I guess its her choice but theres a big world out there. Just each to their own.
  • mummytogirls
    Options
    Happy Payday Rebecca :beer: xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you posting less because you're too busy or because you're losing focus? I don't want you to disappear on here! You found me and spoke to me when I was really miserable and confused. You're strength spurred me on :)
    I think the rules on save to buy isas are a bit strict. Would one of those £100/month 6% accounts encourage you?
    Keep your chin up. You're getting there. And we've got similar goals now £2740 by summer for me and £4K for hubby. We can do this. All for a house xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Rebecca01
    Options
    Not losing focus. Just I mainly read and type on my phone. After work sometimes I just become a bit lazy. Lol. It hurts my finger to type and its fiddly :rotfl:I have a lap top but I like my iphone laid in bed to avoid the parents.

Yes for a house. It is worth it :-)). We will get there.
  • Rebecca01
    Options
    Feeling a bit fed up this week. I totally get how Bellevie felt the other week. Sometimes it feels like things will never happen.

I have had 4 no spend days this week. It is easy when I am at work and dieting. On Saturday I took my daughter to a minecraft conference. We enjoyed it and spent less than I thought . About £20 when in there and £20 on the way back.

Three of my friends got their year 6 childrens school places this week. One lives up the road from my parents they got the school I want for my daughter. The other who lives about 15 streets over got to the bad school. The one I went to as a child. The one I don't like for many reasons. Not least because it has a 17 percent a to c. The other got the really good Catholic school ( don't get me started on schools discriminating for religion). Anyway it has me worried. I wanted to buy a house near my friend. The houses are smaller and not as nice but affordable to me.

If I bought one near my mams house I would need another 20k and that means I would have to stay here another two years. Aghhhh . I do not know if we can cope with that.

Also worry about my age. I am nearly 36. Boyfriend is six years younger. He can't get a mortgage due to another story. I would maybe like another baby eventually but not ready now. Then I will be too old. Oh will leave me for a ten years younger.... Etc. I know this sounds daft.

Just feel like sitting in my childhood bedroom at 35 - feel like waiting for life to begin. Self indulgent much! Sorry just having a bad day. I know I am lucky really.
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 March 2016 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Its a hard journey, especially when we are starting over a little later than planned. Things can change so quickly though. Have you looked at surrounding towns / villages, that would allow you to keep your job but near good schools?

Will your boyfriend be able to get a mortgage by the time you are ready to? Or can you delay to buy together if he needs an extra year or two to sort things out?

If you know it will take longer for you both to be able to live in the area you want to, you could consider living in a low cost rental, would allow you to try for a second child when you are ready. It will slow down savings, but if in that time frame your boyfriend has sorted out his credit file, with you both on the mortgage your wages will go further.

Otherwise, have you worked out what you could afford with the help to buy 20% 'loan' and the help to buy ISA together? Could you consider a shared ownership house? You could buy the initial share with a view to increasing to 100% when your boyfriend is able to get a mortgage?

I feel for you Rebecca, its a horrible phase but it does pass - for a while at least :)
    One day all of this will be a distant memory :D
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• Rebecca01
    Options
    Thanks Bellievie. I really appreciate it. I feel better today.

I think I have thought about every option. Renting a small place comes up every time I have a disagreement with my parents.

My boyfriends report will not be clear for six years and even then it may still appear. Long story.

Moving further away would be hard as I would have to drop dd with my parents every morning. I also don't want to take her out of her friendship group. I would have hated it. Being a teacher and growing up in this town. I know all of the schools and a lot of the staff. So it is really this certain school I would like.

She is in year 3. I could stay at my parents until she is in year 6 then she will get in. I should not joke as this maybe a reality.

I think I need to focus on paying the debt and then saving and saving. A cheaper dilapidated house may come up. Guess I don't know what could be on the market then.

My worry is all what ifs? I guess I should focus on the moment.

Feeling more positive. A no spend day today. Yay.
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So he's just been naughty lately! Oh no! He needs to learn lessons too :) is he saving towards the deposit too or is this your own venture? You can do this. Like you say focus on the debts and the saving, when you've got the money the house will turn up. We don't want the delapidated house yet. Or you could buy in winter and get yourself a bargain?
    It'll all work out the right way x
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business