Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going?

Options

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    I tend to change my mind quite a lot these days :o Was going to Vietnam, but, I spotted a real bargain for NZ flights last night :j So I booked them at £860 for 2 of us :D

North or South Island, or both? Maybe campervaning. Did you know that Australia is really the West Island of New Zealand?:)
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    North or South Island, or both? Maybe campervaning. Did you know that Australia is really the West Island of New Zealand?:)

North, I know, I know, but the family are in Auckland & Welly so ... No campervan for me I'm a budget traveller, so all MSE advice will be gratefully received :) May start a new NZ thread, I'm still going through major excitement right now. Really!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2016 at 3:39PM
    Options
    North, I know, I know, but the family are in Auckland & Welly so ... No campervan for me I'm a budget traveller, so all MSE advice will be gratefully received :) May start a new NZ thread, I'm still going through major excitement right now. Really!

Auckland's a long way from Wellington, with a heck of a lot to see in between, so if your time is limited then you want to pick the best bits.

If you hire a car, then driving is fairly straighforward, but you see more sat in the passenger seat.

Who did you get those bargain flights with? Are you stopping over in OZ?
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    . . . . but, I spotted a real bargain for NZ flights last night :j So I booked them at £860 for 2 of us :D

The Thai Airways mistake fare with no Fuel Surcharge?
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I travelled between those two cities by Intercity Bus and they were Fantastic. Very comfortable with good safe drivers. If you can get an itiniary together you will probably be able to book each leg for $1 as they have at least one seat at that price on each bus. I think that Naked Bus run a similar scheme but I didn't use them so can't comment.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • DUKE
    edited 9 August 2016 at 8:46PM
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Auckland's a long way from Wellington, with a heck of a lot to see in between, so if your time is limited then you want to pick the best bits.

If you hire a car, then driving is fairly straighforward, but you see more sat in the passenger seat.

Who did you get those bargain flights with? Are you stopping over in OZ?

I know, I want to do the Auckland to Welly Overlander, called the northern Explorer now.

Here - http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/london-auckland-from-348-for-a-round-trip-thai-airways-skyscanner-2491766
  • DUKE
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    The Thai Airways mistake fare with no Fuel Surcharge?

No idea what happened but found them on HotUKDeals.
  • DUKE
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I travelled between those two cities by Intercity Bus and they were Fantastic. Very comfortable with good safe drivers. If you can get an itiniary together you will probably be able to book each leg for $1 as they have at least one seat at that price on each bus. I think that Naked Bus run a similar scheme but I didn't use them so can't comment.

Now that sounds like a deal Ballard! Do you just get on the bus or book in advance? Still ever so excited, but fearing my jet lag already seeing as I'm only doing a few weeks.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now that sounds like a deal Ballard! Do you just get on the bus or book in advance? Still ever so excited, but fearing my jet lag already seeing as I'm only doing a few weeks.

You have to book in advance as they only have one (or perhaps two, I can't remember) seat(s) per trip. This meant that I had to have my time there organised pretty well. I was only there for 12 days so I had to have a strict itinerary so as to see as much of the country as I could anyway.

http://www.intercity.co.nz/

You should probably compare with https://nakedbus.com/home
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • DUKE
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    You have to book in advance as they only have one (or perhaps two, I can't remember) seat(s) per trip. This meant that I had to have my time there organised pretty well. I was only there for 12 days so I had to have a strict itinerary so as to see as much of the country as I could anyway.

http://www.intercity.co.nz/

You should probably compare with https://nakedbus.com/home

Thanks Ballard, I'll take a look at that. I'd like to do the ferry to Picton, I've got a relative there with a guest house. Anywhere that you'd definitely recommend?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure