Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going?

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    One thing worth mentioning about entering NZ is that they have a very strict line on importing food. You will not be permitted to take any food at all into the country and if you're taking hiking boots they must be clean. Once you pass customs you need to queue to get through quarantine where your bags are x-rayed. If they see boots they may well ask you to remove them for inspection.

One of the first signs that you will see at the airport is an advert for Kia Ora. Well, I thought that it was an advert until I found out that it's a Maori greeting.

Hiking boots are still in original packaging. Haven't got around to utilising them as of yet. Though thinking about a Camino and then there is Peru. So they might escape their packaging yet.
    Had no intention of importing food :) But you can take food there. The proviso is that you must declare it.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was made very clear through umpteen announcements that no food whatsoever could be imported and there were bins in which to deposit any food. No mention was made of the ability to declare any.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was made very clear through umpteen announcements that no food whatsoever could be imported and there were bins in which to deposit any food. No mention was made of the ability to declare any.

Appropriate government websites contain up to date information, and there's plenty of stuff on the Trip Advisor NZ forum.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I also enjoy a red wine and took time to visit a few vineyards whilst there. If you get a chance to visit Waiheke Island there are quite a few to visit. From memory it costs $5 or $10 for a tasting from most of the places that I visited. I just got the ferry and walked around once there but there are also some organised tours and a local bus service on the island.

I must admit that you're bringing back some great memories and I'm getting jealous.

I've got Waiheke Island on my list. My mind's still buzzing with it to be honest. One of the aunts said to do an itinerary & she'll check it out, but I can't yet. Also she said it would be better to fly than do the bus, but I've dreamt of doing that bus, or the train. Do you see a lot on the bus Ballard? I was checking out flights with Jetstar from AKL to WLG & saw them for about £70, but then there's the luggage too to add on.
  • DUKE
    edited 14 August 2016 at 12:53PM
    Options
    I did the same, though paid £400 to for Nov/Dec.

I think some were under the misapprehension that they were one month validity tickets, but they weren't.
    You could do some interesting combinations, such as six weeks in Thailand and two weeks in NZ,
    image.jpg
    On person did, LHR-CNX-SYD-own way to AKL-KBV-BKK-LHR for £419 booked directly with THAI.

By the time I had convinced the girlfriend that we wanted to go to NZ :D a lot had already sold, so was more concerned about getting the dates that I wanted, rather than to look for exotic combinations. Plus we have another holiday in SE Asia anyway.

So, reading the NZ comments with interest...as I have no idea as to what to do there...other than to hike and eat lamb.

Same here NiftyDigits, MrD had gone to bed early & when I spotted the deal it was already 12 hours old! I booked in a blind panic the next morning at 9am with TravelBag. All the flights on the Thai website had gone by then & my original dates, & I could only get 2 weeks. It was coming up as £369, but that was spending 12 hours in Bangkok, which MrD didn't fancy & we've been there. I'm still thrilled with that price though :j Oh & also whenever I've seen flights that good they've always been for 32+ hours, so although it's a killer flight, it's not that bad compared to what it could've been.
  • DUKE
    Options
    One thing worth mentioning about entering NZ is that they have a very strict line on importing food. You will not be permitted to take any food at all into the country and if you're taking hiking boots they must be clean. Once you pass customs you need to queue to get through quarantine where your bags are x-rayed. If they see boots they may well ask you to remove them for inspection.

One of the first signs that you will see at the airport is an advert for Kia Ora. Well, I thought that it was an advert until I found out that it's a Maori greeting.

I know, I've seen it on the TV. Also remember reading something in the paper many years ago where a woman was sent to prison for taking an orange into Australia :eek: Thanks anyway :)
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    Same here NiftyDigits, MrD had gone to bed early & when I spotted the deal it was already 12 hours old! I booked in a blind panic the next morning at 9am with TravelBag. All the flights on the Thai website had gone by then & my original dates, & I could only get 2 weeks. It was coming up as £369, but that was spending 12 hours in Bangkok, which MrD didn't fancy & we've been there. I'm still thrilled with that price though :j Oh & also whenever I've seen flights that good they've always been for 32+ hours, so although it's a killer flight, it's not that bad compared to what it could've been.

Have you been on to the THAI website in order to hold your seats? You should do so. We managed to get seats upstairs on the A380.
  • Ballard
    Options
    If you're not planning to stop anywhere between Auckland & Wellington then flying would be the way to go. I took the bus because I stopped off in several places. I actually started in Auckland and flew to Welly and then made my way back. Had I put any thought into it I'd have arrived in Auckland but flew out of Wellington back to Sydney.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • DUKE
    edited 15 August 2016 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Have you been on to the THAI website in order to hold your seats? You should do so. We managed to get seats upstairs on the A380.

Oh no, I've only looked briefly as I've had a lot on just lately :eek: Will dash over there now & sort it, thanks.

I've chosen seats on the 1st flight, but then I get this - At least one of your specific seat requests could not be processed. (4631)
    At least one of your selected services was rejected by the system. (15239)

On the way back there only appears to be odd seats, God my biggest fear is ending up squashed between 2 strangers!!!! I'll email them. I'm not even sure if I'm on the right plane as it looks ever so small.

This is coming up now an all, what did I do - 1 Warning(s)
    Based on the ticketing requirements for this reservation, it cannot be confirmed through the application. Please contact your travel agency. (1017 - 3002)

Think the website's playing up. No seats left on upper deck, I'll nip up & keep waving at you ;-) But I'm hoping for exit row, or bulkhead row, if I can't get 2 seats to put my feet up.
  • Ballard
    Options
    Despite not having completed the planning for my India trip in November I've booked a fortnight off in February and purchased a guidebook for Cuba. Sadly I'm only temping at the moment so can't commit to more than a fortnight off work. My current contract ends in January but it'll probably be extended until the summer.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport