🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going?

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eastern and oriental hotel is very nice in Georgetown but not cheap.

Having said that it was the sister hotel originally of raffles in Singapore, and it's a lot cheaper than that!
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I loved the E&O when it was the original, but now they've got a big new extension I don't feel it's the same. Lone Pine is their sister hotel, so a shuttle runs between the two if you want beach time.
    travelover
  • Leanne1812
    Leanne1812 Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've not stayed in the E&O in Penang but did have dinner there and it was very nice. If I recall it was buffet style. I do remember a large platter of oysters to start. Yummy and very reasonable too.

My sister has stayed at the G Hotel in Georgetown and really enjoyed it. There's no beach but there's a few things worth seeing. I remember my 1st time when we had a trickshaw ride through the town and it was pretty scary but great fun too.

Langkawi is just a short boat ride away. Easy to get there and back. There's not really much to do there though. The water quality is much better than Penang. That's what puts me off returning to Penang, the water is so polluted and I do love a dip in the sea.

When we're in KL we like to visit the Whisky Bar, a lovely experience. You don't need to drink whisky, I think I had a latte but hubby had a nice malt. Also there a Mexican restaurant ( I'll try to get the name and post) on the same street just on the corner which is reasonable with good food. Albion restaurant is a fav of my sis and she's been there long enough to know where is decent.

Where are you staying in KL? The golden triangle is best for walking around the city.
  • Leanne1812
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed Mauritius, we were able to travel around easily by bus, taxi, & you could get a driver to take you around for about £40 a day. However, there were lots of rather unfriendly people at our hotel, but we wont mention any nationalities here.[/QUOTE

We did have a day out round the island by taxi with our friends and it was £60 so £30 per couple. It was ordered by the hotel though so that's probably why it was more expensive. We visited Port Louis, Grand Baie, the botanic gardens which was interesting and the red church?

Our best day was a private speedboat to lle au cerfs. Wonderful day with barbecue including lobster, squid & prawns all drinks including beer & rum for £40 per head. 8 adults and we all loved it.
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Leanne1812 wrote: »
    I've not stayed in the E&O in Penang but did have dinner there and it was very nice. If I recall it was buffet style. I do remember a large platter of oysters to start. Yummy and very reasonable too.

My sister has stayed at the G Hotel in Georgetown and really enjoyed it. There's no beach but there's a few things worth seeing. I remember my 1st time when we had a trickshaw ride through the town and it was pretty scary but great fun too.

Langkawi is just a short boat ride away. Easy to get there and back. There's not really much to do there though. The water quality is much better than Penang. That's what puts me off returning to Penang, the water is so polluted and I do love a dip in the sea.

When we're in KL we like to visit the Whisky Bar, a lovely experience. You don't need to drink whisky, I think I had a latte but hubby had a nice malt. Also there a Mexican restaurant ( I'll try to get the name and post) on the same street just on the corner which is reasonable with good food. Albion restaurant is a fav of my sis and she's been there long enough to know where is decent.

Where are you staying in KL? The golden triangle is best for walking around the city.

Thanks, this is all helpful, I really appreciate you posting.

I've booked The Royale Chulan in a club level room. Again this is cancellable but I haven't yet found anything comparable in the same price bracket. Don't worry about the name of the Mexican, I don't like that type of food! But I'd be very grateful for any other recommendations.

I've spent today looking & I'm pretty sure I'm going to book the Lone Pine and possibly the E&O, I can pull them both in for just a bit more than we were paying for the Bayview, about £70 more I think, which I think will be worth the extra.
  • Leanne1812
    Options
    Have you considered the Golden Sands at Batu Ferringhi? I've looked at Lone Pine & considered it in the past but I pf I remember I thought the facilities were lacking. Each to their own though, depends what you want from a hotel/resort. Golden Sands is the shangri-la group, the same as Rasa. We have friends who stay there every year and they really enjoy it. I usually try travelbag website as I've found their rates are usually the lowest but I do still search a lot and use comparison sites such as skyscanner.

I'll speak with my sister and get some more recommendations for you. If you're feeling fit the Batu Caves are worth a visit.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We did have a day out round the island by taxi with our friends and it was £60 so £30 per couple. It was ordered by the hotel though so that's probably why it was more expensive. We visited Port Louis, Grand Baie, the botanic gardens which was interesting and the red church?

Our best day was a private speedboat to lle au cerfs. Wonderful day with barbecue including lobster, squid & prawns all drinks including beer & rum for £40 per head. 8 adults and we all loved it.[/QUOTE]

The quote button's not working.

We did too Leanne, although I don't think we did the gardens.

Our hotel did a free daily trip to lle Aux Cerfs, it was beautiful but so hot there. Some people used to go every day just to sunbathe, we only went the once as we had other stuff on. Memories eh :)
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Leanne1812 wrote: »
    Have you considered the Golden Sands at Batu Ferringhi? I've looked at Lone Pine & considered it in the past but I pf I remember I thought the facilities were lacking. Each to their own though, depends what you want from a hotel/resort. Golden Sands is the shangri-la group, the same as Rasa. We have friends who stay there every year and they really enjoy it. I usually try travelbag website as I've found their rates are usually the lowest but I do still search a lot and use comparison sites such as skyscanner.

I'll speak with my sister and get some more recommendations for you. If you're feeling fit the Batu Caves are worth a visit.

Thank you again.

Quick question re Travelbag, do you have to pay in full at the time of booking?
  • Leanne1812
    Options
    lady1964 wrote: »
    Thank you again.

Quick question re Travelbag, do you have to pay in full at the time of booking?

If I recall correctly you do. I think the website requires payment but does not give instant confirmation. Maybe best to phone and get a quote and take it from there. Also check reviews on tripadvisor for some insights.
  • Leanne1812
    Options
    DUKE wrote: »

Our best day was a private speedboat to lle au cerfs. Wonderful day with barbecue including lobster, squid & prawns all drinks including beer & rum for £40 per head. 8 adults and we all loved it.

The quote button's not working.

We did too Leanne, although I don't think we did the gardens.

Our hotel did a free daily trip to lle Aux Cerfs, it was beautiful but so hot there. Some people used to go every day just to sunbathe, we only went the once as we had other stuff on. Memories eh :)[/QUOTE]

Did you stay at Shangri-la? I looked at the hotel website and think it said they had an area for residents. Stunning hotel but over budget for us.

We stayed at Solana Beach in Belle Mare, all inc and very good value at £1200 for 10 nights.

We did have a terrific holiday and liked Mauritius but we didn't love it enough to return. I think we are stuck on SEA. So many different places to see and fantastic sightseeing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport