Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Scrooge_2
    Options
    We booked a holiday last September, which takes place this March, having annual trip insurance in place at the time of booking. This insurance runs out 2 weeks before we travel, and while we shall make sure we are insured again continuously before the March trip, what happens if, say, we had to cancel on any date between the end of the old policy, and the date of travel, having a new policy in place on continuous dates?
    The company we were insured with (Insure for all) is "no longer offering travel insurance", so we cannot re-insure with the same company: they did recommend another company, but if we don't insure with them and go for a different company, how would we stand? Hopefully it won't happen, but would just be interested to know which company should honour any claim, if it falls within that window between one policy expiring, and actual trip taking place, even with continuing insurance cover being provided by another company?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt it makes any difference whether you use the 'recommended' company or not - it will still be an entirely different policy.

I imagine you'll arrange for the new policy to start as soon as the old one ends, and in that situation you should be fully covered for all eventualities included in the policies.

You just need to make sure there's no gap.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We booked a holiday last September, which takes place this March, having annual trip insurance in place at the time of booking. This insurance runs out 2 weeks before we travel, and while we shall make sure we are insured again continuously before the March trip, what happens if, say, we had to cancel on any date between the end of the old policy, and the date of travel, having a new policy in place on continuous dates?
    The company we were insured with (Insure for all) is "no longer offering travel insurance", so we cannot re-insure with the same company: they did recommend another company, but if we don't insure with them and go for a different company, how would we stand? Hopefully it won't happen, but would just be interested to know which company should honour any claim, if it falls within that window between one policy expiring, and actual trip taking place, even with continuing insurance cover being provided by another company?
    You would claim under the new policy. The old policy is completely irrelevant, so choose the new one as if you had no previous cover.
    koru
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heads Up.......
    I have just got a new policy for 86 year old with;
    Heart Attack
    Heart Failure
    TIA
    High BP
    High Cholestoral
    CKD with impaired kidney function
    Diabetes (non insulin)

Avanti who we have used before quoted £374....
    We have gone with Get Going Travel Insurance for £94.57 and 21.21% cashback through TCB.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, they cancelled their cruise as they couldn't find suitable insurance, they are now looking at European Cover instead.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    Heads Up.......
    I have just got a new policy for 86 year old with;
    Heart Attack
    Heart Failure
    TIA
    High BP
    High Cholestoral
    CKD with impaired kidney function
    Diabetes (non insulin)

Avanti who we have used before quoted £374....
    We have gone with Get Going Travel Insurance for £94.57 and 21.21% cashback through TCB.

That's a remarkably low premium! No exclusions for pre-existing conditions?
  • cov2811
    cov2811 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I got ours via paying too much
    10 day holiday Mexico
    3 adults, Stroke, High blood pressure High cholesterol, cancer, Thyroid, Asthma & Autism all declared
    £288 very hard to find good cover for Autism alone
  • Kiki2000
    Kiki2000 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 May 2018 at 7:13PM
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure how to post but this may be of use to someone, my husband age 77 has several existing conditions, we wanted a joint single trip insurance to Europe for a five week tour in a motorhome we were quoted several extremely high prices with some not covering existing conditions, we were recommended to NFOP and on joining were offered their travel insurance no declarations of existing conditions all are covered if they are well controlled all they ask is that you have not been advised not to travel and with no terminal diagnosis , this is annual multi trip and up to age 79 but if membership and insurance is continued then the upper age limit does not apply. The cover seems very good and we noted people on the forum quoting cruises often require high cover, but this is for £5,000,000 and the p & 0 cruise we have just been on was well covered, all this for £31.80 to join NFOP then £275 for joint travel insurances
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kiki2000 wrote: »
    Hi I'm not sure how to post but this may be of use to someone, my husband age 77 has several existing conditions, we wanted a joint single trip insurance to Europe for a five week tour in a motorhome we were quoted several extremely high prices with some not covering existing conditions, we were recommended to NFOP and on joining were offered their travel insurance no declarations of existing conditions all are covered if they are well controlled all they ask is that you have not been advised not to travel and with no terminal diagnosis , this is annual multi trip and up to age 79 but if membership and insurance is continued then the upper age limit does not apply. The cover seems very good and we noted people on the forum quoting cruises often require high cover, but this is for £5,000,000 and the p & 0 cruise we have just been on was well covered, all this for £31.80 to join NFOP then £275 for joint travel insurances

This for me is avery interesting idea.

I have looked at the NFOP policy booklet and cannot see anything that would put me of applying, or at least looking at.

I am in the process of seeing if I am elegible to join NFOP.
  • Bykerlass
    Bykerlass Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ask what is NFOP please? It!!!8217;s bound to be obvious !!!55357;!!!56900;
    I USED TO BE INDECISIVE BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE!

Rich people tell you that money doesn't bring you happiness just so the poor people don't feel jealous.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback