Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Edmondcat wrote: »
    I had cancer 40 years ago and recovered do I have to mention this ?

Thanks
    Just answer any questions truthfully. I had cancer 30 years ago & have never had the need to mention it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Edmondcat wrote: »
    Hope that this is right I'm new

Been reading about travel insurance and telling them about pre existing conditions and cancer

I had cancer 40 years ago and recovered do I have to mention this ?

Thanks
    It depends what questions they ask you. If they ask have you ever had cancer, then yes.
    koru
  • dandavid
    Options
    Has anybody used all clear insurance it seems they dont let you buy insurance until you are travelling within 31 days?!!
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dandavid wrote: »
    Has anybody used all clear insurance it seems they dont let you buy insurance until you are travelling within 31 days?!!
    is that single trip insurance or an annual policy? I haven't used them but have had quotes before for an annual. I don't remember any such restriction.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2018 at 7:53PM
    Options

Well that's only useful if you actually book the holiday with less than 31 days before travelling.

You should have insurance in place as soon as you book your holiday if you want to be covered.

We got £2,000 back at Christmas 2017 due to an accident my wife had with her knee when we were due to travel to Cuba in February. Accident happened 90 days before travelling.
  • koru
    Options
    Not quite. They say "You can only buy your annual multi-trip policy up to 31 days in advance of when you want the policy to start." But that is not the same as when your trip starts. Generally, it makes sense to be covered as soon as you book the holiday, so you can claim if you have to cancel. So, it would not generally make sense to delay starting your annual cover.

For single trip policies, you can buy at least a year before travel.
    koru
  • Decca
    Decca Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    For people with epilepsy you cannot answer quote questions properly as the questions show a lack of knowledge about the condition. Technically, every episode of epilepsy means a person will have a temporary loss of conciousness no matter how brief. Even for those who have petit mal or absence seizures. It is possible to have petit mal but to rarely have larger seizures. Or bluntly, you can have more than one type of epilepsy. What they should ask is what type of epilepsy do you have, how often do you have it and how long might you be unconcious when you do ? They could also have a tick list for things you have been advised not to do eg. Diving. The questions posed show an inadequate knowledge of epilepsy and therefore assessing risk likely to be poor.
  • koru
    Options
    Decca wrote: »
    For people with epilepsy you cannot answer quote questions properly as the questions show a lack of knowledge about the condition. Technically, every episode of epilepsy means a person will have a temporary loss of conciousness no matter how brief. Even for those who have petit mal or absence seizures. It is possible to have petit mal but to rarely have larger seizures. Or bluntly, you can have more than one type of epilepsy. What they should ask is what type of epilepsy do you have, how often do you have it and how long might you be unconcious when you do ? They could also have a tick list for things you have been advised not to do eg. Diving. The questions posed show an inadequate knowledge of epilepsy and therefore assessing risk likely to be poor.
    It may depend on the medical underwriting system that the company uses. Most insurers use the same system, but there is another system that asks much 'smarter' questions that are more detailed and appropriate. Might be worth trying an insurer that uses this system, such as World First, Holiday Safe, Insurance With?

Or, use a company that does not exclude epilepsy, such as Eurotunnel or NFOP.
    koru
  • Decca
    Decca Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Replying to my own thread. I was incorrect. Apparently some types of epilepsy you can stay conscious. The questions on quotes still need to be improved though.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Decca wrote: »
    Replying to my own thread. I was incorrect. Apparently some types of epilepsy you can stay conscious. The questions on quotes still need to be improved though.
    Yes I almost replied to your original comment. i have to declare epilepsy because i still take medication but have been seizure free for many years. I always hated the question about loss of consciousness because it was a yes/no answer. I said yes as a precaution because i had complex partial epilepsy but never tonic clonic at all. More recently a doctor has told me to say no to this.
    I agree that the questions are poorly worded and they don't allow me to say that I have been seizure free for 30 + years. I also have to declare that I had a benign tumour even though it was removed in 1980. One insurer insisted that the only types of epilepsy were 'grand mal' and 'petit mal. I now use Insure & Go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback