MSE News: EE customers without signal can have calls connected via wifi

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    BT offer this same feature ... via their SmartTalk app.

The apps aren't really the same, they are an add on like Viber while the WifiCalling in the OP is a native built in service that just treats your wifi router as another network base station.

How do you receive calls with the BT service you mention?
    ====
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    m5rcc wrote: »
    If you have no signal at home with EE, ask for their Femtocell Signal Box device that plugs into your router. I've had it ever since T-Mobile and Orange merged...

The signal box is no longer available from EE !!
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    The signal box is no longer available from EE !!

I don't know where you got that from but the signal (booster) box is definitely still available from EE!
  • d123
    Options
    kittykat17 wrote: »
    I don't know where you got that from but the signal (booster) box is definitely still available from EE!

Not according to the EE site, he is correct about that (unless it is only being used as retention tool).
    The Signal Box plugs into your broadband router and creates a link to our network to provide indoor coverage.

It works by providing 3G coverage with a range of about 15 metres, so anyone with access can make a call just as normal. Any customers on Orange, T-Mobile or EE can use the same box.

Signal Box is no longer available to purchase, but we’re working on new ways to help you stay connected in more places.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/checking-and-improving-your-network-coverage/signal-box
    ====
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would have thought that any rom that is compatible should be able to use the feature, it is just EE being controlling. I thought that it should be standard within Lollipop??
    I was thinking of moving to EE for wifi calling eventually but as my phone was bought sim free (One Plus One) it looks more dubious that i would ever be able to use it for wifi calling.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 April 2015 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Generic phones (except iPhone) won't support WiFi calling as the handset needs to have EE's IMS security profile on it.

So if you buy from CPW etc (unless iPhone) then it won't work.

Oh, and signal boxes should be available again from the beginning of May.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • d123
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I was thinking of moving to EE for wifi calling eventually but as my phone was bought sim free (One Plus One) it looks more dubious that i would ever be able to use it for wifi calling.

Why would you have thought a Chinese phone not sold or supported by any network or retailer in the UK would have been supported? I think it should always be expected that networks won't offer support for 'generic' Chinese phones.
    ====
  • baby_frogmella
    baby_frogmella Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    Options
    EE Wifi calling works brilliantly on my iphone 6 - i've switched off the the GSM radio so am just on wifi at home and the battery lasts a bit longer as the phone isn't always looking for a 3G signal. I'm off to Hong Kong & NZ soon so hope to use EE wifi calling free of charge there using a UK vpn - i have the OpenVPN app running airvpn so hopefully that should fool EE into thinking i'm still in the UK ;)
  • turtle-tortoise
    Options
    Will wifi calling work with BT Mobile which uses the EE network?
  • turtle-tortoise
    Options
    EE Wifi calling works brilliantly on my iphone 6 - i've switched off the the GSM radio so am just on wifi at home and the battery lasts a bit longer as the phone isn't always looking for a 3G signal. I'm off to Hong Kong & NZ soon so hope to use EE wifi calling free of charge there using a UK vpn - i have the OpenVPN app running airvpn so hopefully that should fool EE into thinking i'm still in the UK ;)

LOL

that should be an interesting experiment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family