Ikea integrated dishwasher

Options

Comments

• bigjoe
    bigjoe Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I'd think of it more as a small inconvenience in buying one of the cheapest kitchens out there and remove the apparant extra cost from the overall saving.

That said, it cleans the dishes as effectively as anything I've come across, the five year guarantee is effectively free - or perhaps it loads the price slightly. No inconvenience at all as far as I'm concerned. Less inconvenient than rejigging the kitchen to accommodate a dishwasher with two doors.

I'm pleased your happy with your Ikea dishwasher, but each to their own, and as I said before, if there's a way of getting more for my money I want to find it. I don't do second best if I can help it! :beer:
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    I fear the 'pushing the units forward' idea may not work as there may not be clearance on the cupboard door hinge to allow the DW door to drop down... unless you go with an oversized 'gap'.

Still don't understand why, even with a longer door, you can't fit any integrated DW... what is the exact issue?

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    I fear the 'pushing the units forward' idea may not work as there may not be clearance on the cupboard door hinge to allow the DW door to drop down... unless you go with an oversized 'gap'.

Still don't understand why, even with a longer door, you can't fit any integrated DW... what is the exact issue?

Russ

It's all down to there 80mm plinth. The ikea DW has a double hinged bracket that pivots it away from the plinth
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Just looked at the manual for the sliding hinge kit.... Fuggin' awful!

But it looks like this doesn't limit you to the DW, as the frontages, once joined together with the strip, are still fixed to the DW door as any other would be.

And desn't this only apply to the semi-integrated DW's?

As for 80mm plinths.. are they seriously trying to p us off even more... difficult enough to route the pipework with 6" clearances!!!!

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • bigjoe
    bigjoe Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    Just looked at the manual for the sliding hinge kit.... Fuggin' awful!

But it looks like this doesn't limit you to the DW, as the frontages, once joined together with the strip, are still fixed to the DW door as any other would be.

And desn't this only apply to the semi-integrated DW's?

As for 80mm plinths.. are they seriously trying to p us off even more... difficult enough to route the pipework with 6" clearances!!!!

Russ

I think you might be on to something. I'm going to go back to Ikea on Sunday and have a good look at a Metod DW door to see what can be done.
  • eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    I've had an Ikea dishwasher for the last four years and it's fantastic. My dishes have always come out sparkly clean unless I haven't loaded it properly and then it's my own fault. My mother's dishwasher is terrible, glasses are always cloudy. In fact I think it was only £99. It isn't fully integrated so when I come to replace it eventually, it won't be a problem to get a new one whether I go to Ikea or not. I think mine is a whirlpool but I'm not sure, I've needed any support for it.
  • MikeyBally
    Options
    I've just encountered this exact problem and so stumbled upon this thread searching for a solution.

I have an integrated Bosch dishwasher and was fully expecting it to integrate easily with my new Metod kitchen. The salesperson at IKEA had raised an eyebrow when I said I was using my own dishwasher and mentioned that I might have to cut a notch into my plinth. I didn't really take much notice of this until I had installed the dishwasher, attached the door and discovered the true horror of the situation!

The bottom of the 800mm door hits the pan at the bottom of the dishwasher. Interesting point:- I assume that Ikea must therefore build the pan of their dishwashers higher for clearance and so their internal volume must be smaller than other dishwashers!

Luckily I had picked up an "ERSÄTTARE" kit (article no. 002.506.64) which allowed me to solve the problem.

If you are going to use the ERSÄTTARE kit, then IKEA's intention is that the front door of your dishwasher is going to be 4 x 200mm high panels. The bottom 200mm panel is hinged and swings surprisingly and cleverly forward as the dishwasher door opens. I guess you can have other arrangments of panels but the bottom 200mm (and only 200mm) must hinge if the kit is to work.

This was a PITA for me as I had coordinated all of my doors to be 2 x 400mm panels and a swinging bottom 400mm just plain doesn't work. I literally had to skillsaw the bottom panel into 2 x 200mm panels.

This worked surprisingly well. Whilst the protective film was left on the door, the edge did not chip and the bottom panel could be turned upside down so that you get a clean painted edge on the visible top. This gives me two edges that I will seal with paint (keeping the cover film in place until complete). These two edges won't be visible.

The downside is that I now have a visible line in the bottom of one panel punctuated by two visible hinges. It ruins the look a little, but hey, it works!

Hope this helps someone else, because at one point I felt that the only way forward was to buy a new dishwasher!
  • audigex
    audigex Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think the problem is necessarily the value or quality (but the lack of choice is irritating)

The problem is that a decent kitchen should last at least 10, and possibly 20-30 years if looked after... can Ikea guarantee they'll have dishwashers available in 25 years if I need a replacement? And can they guarantee they'll fit this door style? What happens if they realise it's not a great idea and go back to regular dishwasher doors?

It's the potential for major future inconvenience I don't like.
    "You did not pull yourself up by your bootstraps. You were lucky enough to come of age at a time when housing was cheap, welfare was generous, and inflation was high enough to wipe out any debts you acquired. I’m pleased for you, but please stop being so unbearably smug about it."
  • KHall_2
    Options
    We've now got the same situation where the ikea bodbyn dishwasher door doesn't allow the door to open on our non ikea dishwasher (we also have a bosch). Super irritated as we had the kitchen plan reviewed by a member of ikea staff and we were told it was possible to use a non ikea appliance....

Reading mikeybailleys post, you mention the ikea staff member said you might have to cut notches in the plinth. Is that an option rather than buying the 4x200mm doors as we already purchased the DW door? Really don't want to have to buy another dishwasher or 4 more doors from ikea to get round this!

Thanks for all advice!
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just had similar problem with the Beko washer I bought for the new Ikea kitchen.

We cut the door short, to allow opening, then fixed the off cut lower, fitted a handle to cover the edge and it looks fine.

In fact it is opposite the oven, which has a drawer below, so it actually balanced the layout, in appearence.

2jg3zmq.jpg

VB
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport