We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Iphone 5c battery drainage

Options

Comments

• AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2015 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Before fitting a new battery it's worth doing a full restore via iTunes if it wasn't done before you started using it. This downloads and installs the full os again - if the phone has just had the incremental updates since new it could resolve any software glitches which can hurt the battery life. Remember to backup first though. Ideally you would set up from new after rather than restoring the backup but that is a hassle.
  • jessmist
    jessmist Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Before fitting a new battery it's worth doing a full restore via iTunes if it wasn't done before you started using it. This downloads and installs the full os again - if the phone has just had the incremental updates since new it could resolve any software glitches which can hurt the battery life. Remember to backup first though. Ideally you would set up from new after rather than restoring the backup but that is a hassle.

My Son done a full restore before he gave me the phone. Then we set it all up from scratch.
    I have just been on the apple website and requested support.
    The first stage was for a email to be sent to my email account and then i had to run a quick test which sent the results to Apple.
    It said my battery requires service.
    My phone is outside the 12 months warranty. I clicked onto the live chat. The adviser i spoke to asked me to delete some data history then said there was nothing wrong with my battery.
    But the previous test said battery required service.
    All he would say it doesn't mean my battery needs replacing. He then said they could offer a battery replacement service for $79 plus shipping costs. I explained i live in the UK, He then just gave me a case number valid for 30 days.
    So that was a good bit of customer service.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jessmist wrote: »
    I haven't used the do not disturb setting. As i have a son living away and i always leave my phone in case he has to get in touch.

If you put your son in favorites, these people can always get through.
  • jessmist
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    If you put your son in favorites, these people can always get through.

Is it just calls that get through or texts as well?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure. If its something that you think could benefit you then have a play. (if you have another phone)
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's a lot better than the £59.
    Would probably get my son to do it for me. He has a steadier hand,

Before you do open the phone, make an appointment and get the phone checked by a Genius in an Apple Store, if it's a firmware fault they might sort it for you, if not they just might replace the phone (depending on warranty status and where bought).

The full reset is also a good idea as a first option.
    ====
  • jessmist
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Before you do open the phone, make an appointment and get the phone checked by a Genius in an Apple Store, if it's a firmware fault they might sort it for you, if not they just might replace the phone (depending on warranty status and where bought).

The full reset is also a good idea as a first option.

My son done a full reset before he gave me the phone.
    I will try and get an appointment at a Genius in the Apple store.
    If it's the battery would the fit a new one for me? I assume i would have to pay the £59 as it's out of warranty.
  • d123
    Options
    My son done a full reset before he gave me the phone.

It might be worth asking him to actually restore the firmware using iTunes to definitely rule out a software problem.
    I will try and get an appointment at a Genius in the Apple store.
    If it's the battery would the fit a new one for me? I assume i would have to pay the £59 as it's out of warranty.

Yes, they will do one of three things, replace the phone FOC if under warranty, replace the battery for £59 while you wait or if they are busy (especially if you book an appointment close to closing time) they will just replace the whole phone for the £59 charge.
    ====
  • jessmist
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    It might be worth asking him to actually restore the firmware using iTunes to definitely rule out a software problem.

Yes, they will do one of three things, replace the phone FOC if under warranty, replace the battery for £59 while you wait or if they are busy (especially if you book an appointment close to closing time) they will just replace the whole phone for the £59 charge.
    e

If they replaced the phone i suppose it would be a refurbished phone?
  • d123
    Options
    e

If they replaced the phone i suppose it would be a refurbished phone?

Yes, but not in the normal meaning. An Apple refurbished phone is done at the factory and is indistinguishable from new. It comes in a plain box without accessories is the only way to tell.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport