PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't believe this woman Hester I think they are doing it on purpose to have everything new. It may be a good idea to get an agent and then you have someone between you and her.
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Somebody please send me a bottle of gin!!
    The tenant's partner phoned earlier, she's too annoyed to speak to me, the shower has stopped working after a weeks use and a toilet seat is broken!!
    On second thoughts send me 2 bottles!!

She who breaks the toilet seat, replaces the toilet seat!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The tenant's partner phoned earlier, she's too annoyed to speak to me, the shower has stopped working after a weeks use and a toilet seat is broken!!

Oh bloody hell Hester :mad:

I'd be going to have a look myself to see what the problem is with the shower. The toilet seat: you can buy really cheap ones and they are very easy to fit.

What a PITA this woman is turning out to be :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    My plumber, Bash, will have a look at the shower for me.
    And after I'd counted to ten, about 6 times I told her she had to replace the toilet seat her self.
    I am considering appointing a managing agent later on in the year.
    To compound my problems Captain Hot Stuff is giving me an ear bashing about all the problems!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

This makes me mad :mad:
    Hope you have only given her a 6 month AST.
    As karcher has said, I would have a look myself. Then you can a look at the rest of the property.
    It's early days, but you need to be prepared to issue a section 21 notice
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hester, get a managing agency as a matter of urgency. NOW. This is an intolerable situation. They are pulling a fast one and are clearly unwilling to take any responsibility for anything themselves.
    At the moment everything is plumbing connected. What next?
    You will end up having the place re-roofed at this rate.

I'm off to the mainland (or England, as an elderly man I know insists on calling it) today. An old friend and I meet and spend the day behaving badly. Lovely.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny here today so I've my baskets of washing lined up like ducklings.

Greenbee, I'll be ordering muslin shortly. If I manage to pop out today I'll check the local shop but I suspect online is going to be the best price bar going into Manchester for it. Fortunately there is good quality double glazing on this property and I thermal lined the bedroom curtains. The kitchen/diner has vertical blinds and no curtains. It will probably be the chilly room but I tend to be cooking when we're in there. I expect my work from home days will be much fewer with the new job. I'll still write from home but I will also be doing considerably more teaching so I'm going to have to get to grips with commuting myself soon enough. Still, I'm hoping for at least one work from home day per week and term isn't that long!

Oh Hester, what a pain! You may also want to remind her that she should replace the toilet seat with similar, otherwise you may end up with green and pink sparkles. Perhaps not so objectionable if that is what one likes, but potentially off-putting to future tenants. As for CHS, well you don't have to share your gin with him if he isn't going to be more supportive! I'd also second the suggestion to schedule to visit in person--not just so you can see the state of the property but also just to see what the plumber has done. As a tenant I've often wished the LL would do this. It is an odd situation in some ways, where the person paying for the work may not see it for months. Most of the time this works out but I've sometimes wondered.

Well, apart from laundry I have a busy day planned. I have some work to get on with, but only an hour or two and plenty of housing type things to do. I think I may begin to unpack photos, hang the clock ets. I've discovered yet more places where the previous tenant's dog appears to have shaken him/herself dry. The walls were painted, but not the gloss work so I shall work on those some more. I'll have leftover lasagna for lunch and then I think tea tonight is courgette fritters, salad, tzatziki and maybe a cake for puds if I get time. I'm itching to bake.

One of my projects starting this week is to make double meals at least two nights per week and get the second half in the freezer for tea during term time, but I need some containers. I may nip out for those today and to check the price of muslin in the local shop. If not, then I'll definitely go for a walk after lunch. It is supposed to rain the rest of this week so I want to make the most of it.

Hugs to all who need them (or a nip of scotch. I'd send round the gin but I don't drink it, so it'll have to be scotch).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh God - batten down the hatches in Hampshire - Monna's on the razzle!
    Have a good day Monna - you need and deserve one xx
    Hester - oh the joys of renting - tell CHS he's on rations if he's not more supportive.
    Need to blitz the house today - washing basket is full and need to sort some space in the freezer for this year's produce.
    Have a good day all.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    Have a lovely day monna :)

Oh Hester :mad: What a PITA the woman is turning out to be :(!
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

three bottles and a case of wine on the way!
    Must use my stash up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family