PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hester I feel your pain, fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong ..
    We were landlords for a few years , the first tenant was great , lovely , no issues . The second was odd , did things like take the fake coals out the fire because she wanted a new fire .... so it would fail the inspection ...
    The 3rd ...don't even go there :eek::eek:... but ended up the reason why we sold up

Well dh has ran 50 miles today ,some very big hills ... Tomorrow will be flatter so he's hoping about 70
    £223/ £250 GC
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks for the suggestion about the electric cooler Silvasava. We bought a plain one Tuesday evening and it is working much better. We've been able to keep milk which is nice. Yesterday I was told it would be 2-3 days after the estate agent approved the price. So, maybe Friday but probably next week.

It seems much cooler outside although the house is still very warm. A bit misty. I had a terrible day yesterday, booking work travel. I ended up having to go with budget airlines to get the right day/time and then there was a mistake and it all had to be booked again. It is going to be an expensive mistake. I think it is all booked again--but I'm trying to look on the bright side--a month ago I thought I was paying for all of it myself so I'm still better off than I thought I was...that isn't helping much :o.

We went for a short stroll last evening--I wanted a bit of fresh air. We got around the corner and the sky opened. It was a short shower so we sheltered under a bunch of trees and then headed home. Fortunately there was no sign of lightening!

We had roast veggies and pasta with a bit of cheese for tea. I picked up the cheese when I went out for ice. I've managed to save leftovers today so have a plan for lunch which is a relief--it is nice to wing it sometimes but it was starting to get tedious! I think it is either aubergine pasta or tinned soup tonight. We'll see if I can face the soup or if that has to wait until tomorrow when the house will have cooled down.

I don't envy those of you who are or have been landlords. Hester, I've found every time we've moved into rented accommodation we 'discovered' things. I think sometimes you just don't notice little things when you're living with them, and sometimes previous tenants don't bother to report things they know they should when they know they are moving--so I expect the repairs will slow down! I hope so for your pocket book. I'm a little mystified about why you needed a 3 a.m. text about a leaking toilet. Sometimes I read leases and see clauses that make me really laugh because you know that was added because someone actually did that. Our current lease has a clause saying we're not responsible for keeping any houseplants alive, I'd love to know the story behind that one. :rotfl:

Floss I think Monna is right.

Maggie the cat is making strange noises, I shall go and investigate. She has managed to find no end of ways to get into new kinds of trouble in the new house.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cat was found perched half in/half out of the bathroom window which is upstairs. It is one that has the thin opening one top of the window that opens up with nothing below it, and she'd found after jumping up there was nowhere to go. She allowed herself to be rescued without too much of a fuss. I'm not sure how many lives she has left but I think she's just taken years off mine!
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I ordered a new washing machine for her £303 with delivery, and installation, with the old one disconnected and disposed of.

QUOTE]

Wondered why you are providing your tenant with a washing machine?
    More expense when she brakes it :(
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I ordered a new washing machine for her £303 with delivery, and installation, with the old one disconnected and disposed of.

QUOTE]

Wondered why you are providing your tenant with a washing machine?
    More expense when she brakes it :(

I did wonder that too.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe a new washing machine would be cheaper for Hester than having an older one break down a lot.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think the house has been let with white goods, and as Mar says a new one is probably more reliable.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 June 2017 at 8:33AM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Maybe a new washing machine would be cheaper for Hester than having an older one break down a lot.

You don't have to provide tenants with a washing machine.

In the past I have been a landlord. Don't get me wrong, some tenants are good, no problem, but there comes a time when sadly after numerous damaged white goods and filthy cookers you have to say enough is enough.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Heater, ask your plumber to check every other thing just in case!

That sounds a good idea. I'm sure you'd have noticed if the toilet was leaking before you moved out!

Goodness FPk, I'm glad you got there in time to rescue her :eek:

Hopefully today will be a bit cooler. OH has a hospital appointment this afternoon but it only involves talking to a doctor, so he can go to that on his own.

I was going to wash the carpet runner from the hall (it goes in the washing machine) but apparently it's going to rain later, so it will have to wait for a dry day. At least I've washed just about everything else in the house while it's been hot and sunny :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeps clouding over here - no rain yet so DH is watering the front garden - at least its a bit cooler and wind is picking up. Fingers crossed as the garden is so parched.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure