PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    NM my dad could remember his mam's divi number until shortly before he died in 1991...he hadn't shopped using her divi since 1954 when he married my mum!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can still remember my Mum's Divi number!
    My gran had a contraption called an Osokool - it was a little cabinet with a dished top that you kept filled with water. It obviously cooled by evaporation. I think my mum bought her first fridge in the late 50's & I know it was a very expensive item at the time.

FPK - either Lidl or Aldi have an electric cooler for £40 at the moment.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ivyleaf if you get a half finished pm from me it went into the ether before I finished :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Will try again tomorrow .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can everyone slow down haven't been on the forums recently and doubt I'll ever catch up at this rate .
    Send the rain this northerner can't cope !
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have remembered it for 20 years longer floss. I last used it in the middle of 1958.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have my great grandmas divi number which was my grandmas and my mums before me. I had £100 divi this year and £145 last year just on travel, petrol and top up shops.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    My mum would never use the co-op, can't remember why, probably snobbery.

NM, re your fire door, I think there will be a lot of fire related stuff suddenly being done on rented properties.

My tenant phoned yesterday, the kitchen tap had broken, I managed to find someone who could go out immediately, hate to think how much it will cost me!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Cool grey skies and light rain here this morning.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    nursemaggie Pleased to hear about your new door :)

Hester AAAGH re broken tap, I hope it won't be too costly!

pollyanna Thank you, I'll keep a lookout for your pm :A

I can't remember my Mum's Divi number, but for some reason I know my Dad's army number. He left the Army before I was born, so I have no idea why i know it - it must have been because my Mum knew it, and she told me what it was, and it stuck in my mind.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mother had a Co-op number but I don't remember it being used very much as she did almost all her shopping at the corner shop. In the thirties and forties nearly every road had its own corner shop. Walking to school I walked about 150 yards along our road, turned the corner and went about 100 yards down to the school, crossing one road on the way. During that little journey I passed 4 corner shops, all making good business.
    Of course, during the war all housewives registered their family's ration books at the nearest shop. Hence the profitable corner shops.
    As a small child the highlight of the week was the day we "got the rations." I thought that was what shopping was - getting the rations.

Oh Hester, the joys of being a landlord! I hope they are not going to be the sort of tenants that call you everytime a fuse trips or a sink needs unblocking.

DS2 is in a right mood. Old dog Millie's ear is horribly swollen again.
    Saturday - vet's appointment made for Monday.
    Monday - vet says he needs to put in another cannula. Appointment made for Tuesday.
    Tuesday - DS2 just leaving when vet cancels the appointment because he is still waiting delivery of cannula. Maybe later in the day. Nothing happens except that the ear springs a leak and we find the living room resembling the last scene of Macbeth, all that was missing were the bodies. We cleaned up blood from floors, furniture, walls, doors, windows..... and later in the day had to do it all again. Vet makes another appointment for today.
    Today - DS2 just leaving when vet calls to cancel the appointment. No cannula has arrived. Perhaps later on............

This is the third day that DS has not been able to work. He is grinding his teeth at the waste of this good weather at his busiest time of the year.

I think that we may be changing vets in the very near future.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills