MSE News: Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel

We've seen stacks of complaints from confused shoppers whose accounts have been debited £79 by Amazon...
Read the full story:

Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    One of the forum members who is quoted at the bottom of the article seems preternaturally unlucky*, so I'm not sure that's really the best quote to use. ;)

* Some may say Inattentive. ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    One person wrote on Amazon's forum: "I signed up to the free trial but nowhere did it say £79 will automatically be taken from the account, never had problems from Amazon before. Feel robbed, I don't earn much as it is and I need every penny I can get at the moment!"
    What a load of rubbish, it is very clear when you sign up for the free trial that you will be charged at the end of it.

Daily Mail reporting ?
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, it is very clear when you sign up for the free trial that you will be charged at the end of it.

Daily Mail reporting ?

I agree.

- - - - - - - - - -
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    yep its very clear indeed when you sign up to prime, people dont read what they are signing up to
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    How many of these complaints are really valid and not just a case of people not paying attention to what they're doing?

I've used Amazon for years. My order history shows over 200 items ordered from them in 2014 alone (some of them will be ebooks or music tracks, admittedly) and many more dating back to 2000. During that time, I never 'accidentally' took a Prime trial. Hundreds of orders and I avoided this thing that is apparently so easy to get suckered into.

I am now on Prime, because I found out that as I took an OU course recently, I'm eligible for student prime at £39 per year, and since I was subbing to Amazon Prime Instant Video anyway, made sense :)
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there are a lot of customer complaints, then Amazon are getting it wrong.

It doesn't matter if you think that they (the customers) shouldn't have got it wrong, they have.

Fifty percent of the population are below average intelligence (and a good few more don't pay as much attention as they might), and these people need to be accounted for in the way systems are designed.

I find that whenever I order something from Amazon I have to continually bear in mind that they are trying to nudge me into signing up for Amazon prime and make sure I don't!

This is something Amazon need to sort out because it is well below their normally irreproachable level of service.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • when will people start to take responsibility for things they do, it is clear from the information that you are charged at the end if you do not cancel but unfortunately people don't read!

Saying that there are plenty of other examples including PPI, why haven't I received thousands of pounds worth of cash back because I make sure I read the documents.
  • jmo21
    jmo21 Posts: 13 Forumite
    when will people start to take responsibility for things they do, it is clear from the information that you are charged at the end if you do not cancel but unfortunately people don't read!

Saying that there are plenty of other examples including PPI, why haven't I received thousands of pounds worth of cash back because I make sure I read the documents.

Couldn't agree more. Even some of the quotes in the the story, and someone here are saying I'm always watching for it, I tried to rectify etc...

It is quite clear they are trials. If people don't read the website, or the emails that get sent, that should be their tough luck.

And I bet every single one that complained got their money back anyway.
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Azari wrote: »
    If there are a lot of customer complaints, then Amazon are getting it wrong.

It doesn't matter if you think that they (the customers) shouldn't have got it wrong, they have.

Fifty percent of the population are below average intelligence (and a good few more don't pay as much attention as they might), and these people need to be accounted for in the way systems are designed.

I find that whenever I order something from Amazon I have to continually bear in mind that they are trying to nudge me into signing up for Amazon prime and make sure I don't!

This is something Amazon need to sort out because it is well below their normally irreproachable level of service.

What he or she said above ....Haters gonna Hate....
    And why not Amazon remind people that they have signed up via a email message or warn them they are coming to end of a trial

People may have used Amazon for years...but they are not everyone...lets have less of the me me culture
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    This particular one was misleading. I knew I didn't want Prime because I didn't want to pay for it, but when the box came up, I clicked what I thought was the relevant button to just proceed with my purchase only to find it had registered me for Prime. In my case I then cancelled it straight away having had to search around to find how to do it. I can remember people complaining on here at the time that it was very misleading.
    Adventure before Dementia!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure