Comments

• DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2020 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Stratus said:
    DawnCrush said:
     they are responsible for managing the switch, and you should not be being double charged under any circumstances, even if is is only 15p
    Surely you can't be serious.

Zog are one of the good guys. If there are any small energy company awards going then it's outfits like Zog that should be receiving them.
    I am, and don't call me Surely :D

Please refer to my whole reply, not edited highlights.
    You will then see you have taken my post entirely out of context!

Btw, even good guys, let alone good guys that have received rewards, are not immune from being criticised when they do wrong.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1691254/GMTV-criticised-over-Moneysavingexpert-slot.html

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I rate Zog highly in terms of customer service and responding to emails. If they'd allowed a switch between tariffs without the £30 hit I would have stayed, but whilst taking an exit fee hit I thought I might as well go to the cheapest supplier, especially when I'm estimating 40,000kWh for the year.
  • Hammer_Time
    Options

Where an early exit fee applies to a Zog tariff, they will apply this whether you switch away or transfer to another tariff before the switching window opens.

I think the problem with Zog is they took their eye off the ball recently, and kept their prices stagnant for about 12 months,  in a market where gas prices were generally falling rapidly.
    Then they rushed out a revised Mercury 12 tariff (v34), quickly followed by v35 about 14 days later.
    Looking at v35, the issue seems to be the price varioes widely across the country.
    e.g. In the Eastern Region where Zog are based, they are quite competitive - a few suppliers are marginally cheaper, Gulf seeming the cheapest currently, but you'd need to be using over 50,000 kwh per year to save £90

On the other hand, East Midlands region which is traditionally slightly cheaper for gas than the Eastern Region is actually more expensive with Zog.

In the London region, which is always quite expensive for gas,  Zog are still quite expensive even on their Mercury 12 tariff - they are about 10th in the list and cost about £40 a year more than Gulf based on a typical 12000kWh usage per year.
    None of the other Zog tariffs are worth considering at this time.

Which begs the question, where are you and how much gas do you use to save £90 over Zog? 

I am in the South East region (Essex), use 7574kwh. Save £73 on the gas and also saved £25 on the electric which they put me on straight away. Staying with Zog could have saved me £68 on their cheaper tariff, however with the exit fee of £30 the saving was only £38. 
  • Hammer_Time
    Options
    I am in the South East region (Essex), use 7574kwh. Save £73 on the gas and also saved £25 on the electric which they put me on straight away. Staying with Zog could have saved me £68 on their cheaper tariff, however with the exit fee of £30 the saving was only £38. 
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    DawnCrush said:
    So my move away from Zog has completed and received final bill.  All good except one thing.   My move from Zog to YE was on the 29 Jan, so my bill from Zog should have been 1 Jan - 28 Jan @ 28 days standing charge.
    They have billed me up to the 29 Jan (so an extra day's standing charge of 15p).   If they rip off all their customers by 15p, it would make a nice sum.
    Have you received the first statement from YE yet?
    If so, does it also bill you for the 29th? If so, raise a complaint with them - they are responsible for managing the switch, and you should not be being double charged under any circumstances, even if is is only 15p

Stratus said:
    DawnCrush said:
     they are responsible for managing the switch, and you should not be being double charged under any circumstances, even if is is only 15p
    Surely you can't be serious.

Zog are one of the good guys. If there are any small energy company awards going then it's outfits like Zog that should be receiving them.

My first YE bill is the end of this month.  I gave my opening meter reads on 24 Jan, and they have duplicated these reads with a date of 29 Jan.  So most probably I will be paying 2 lots of s/c for the 29 Jan.

For 15p, I cannot be bothered fighting for 15p, but it has made me more cautious, as I too thought Zog were the good guys.
  • DawnCrush
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2020 at 12:13PM
    Options
    I think Essex falls in the Eastern supply region, rather than the South East supply region.
    (As I previously mentioned, Zog are really competitive in that region currently)

Based on your consumption of 7574kwh per year, Zog would cost you £235.37 pa on their Mercury 12 v35 tariff

The cheapest gas only tariff for you would be Gulf on their Home Renewable 12 March 21 v1 tariff that would set you back just £228.06pa

There are a few even cheaper options that apply to dual fuel only (so it would depend on what they are like for electricity for you) but for the gas part:

Avro Energy - Simple and SuperFixed  - £226.65

Yorkshire Energy - Green Whitby - £224.60

I'm not sure any of those meagre savings would have tempted me to switch supplier unless:
    (a) I was unhappy with my present supplier, or
    (b) I was chasing possible cashback elsewhere, or
    (c) any savings on electricity with one of the above dual fuel tariffs significantly increased the savings available.

• Hammer_Time
    Options
    DawnCrush said:
    I think Essex falls in the Eastern supply region, rather than the South East supply region.
    (As I previously mentioned, Zog are really competitive in that region currently)

Based on your consumption of 7574kwh per year, Zog would cost you £235.37 pa on their Mercury 12 v35 tariff

The cheapest gas only tariff for you would be Gulf on their Home Renewable 12 March 21 v1 tariff that would set you back just £228.06pa

There are a few even cheaper options that apply to dual fuel only (so it would depend on what they are like for electricity for you) but for the gas part:

I'm not sure any of those meagre savings would have tempted me to switch supplier unless:
    (c) any savings on electricity with one of the above dual fuel tariffs significantly increased the savings available.

Remember they would charge me a £30 exit fee to go on the tariff you are comparing all your prices on. If they let me move to this tariff without an exit fee I would have stayed. However charging me this, I looked an other suppliers and saved even more, only about £30 on their tariff but no exit fees.
  • DawnCrush
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2020 at 12:59PM
    Options
    DawnCrush said:

Remember they would charge me a £30 exit fee to go on the tariff you are comparing all your prices on. If they let me move to this tariff without an exit fee I would have stayed. However charging me this, I looked an other suppliers and saved even more, only about £30 on their tariff but no exit fees.
    I don't follow you sorry.

You would be charged the £30 early exit fee by Zog for either transferring to another tariff or switching away from them.
    All the above figures I provided ignore early exit fees, as you were goung to pay them anyway, unless you stayed with Zog on their existing tariff, which it sounds like was not very competitive anyway if you could save £68 elsewhere (excluding early exit fees) with your usage.

But you could only save £7 pa by switching away from Zog (compared to if you chose their best currently available tariff, excluding any early exit fees applicable to your existing tariff), possibly up to £4 more if one of the dual fuel tariffs work for you.

But tariff transfers can happen immediately, whilst gas switches will typically take about 3 weeks from application. At this time of year, and based on your usage and uncompetitive tariff, that 3 weeks saving could have saved you probably about £5 anyway.
  • Hammer_Time
    Options
    I am saving £5 on my gas and also £25 on my electric, a £30 saving with no exit fees so happy days. Thank you for all your interest.
  • DawnCrush
    Options
    I'm saving £825 getting my gas from <insert energy supplier name here> - but compoared to what?

I thank you for thanking me for showing interest.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback