We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• davietich
    Options
    Hi to all, I am going to switch to GB energy from my current supplier purely on cost savings, my current supplier is charging me nearly 15p per kWh while GB energy have quoted just over 10p , this for me is a no brainer as I use over 6000kwh per year. I am not bothered about their admin as I believe most folk should take responsibility for their meter reads and keep on top of their D/D rather than expect suppliers to do all the work. I worked many years in the metering dept for a supplier and was told by many customers they had changed supplier and were paying less than half the price my company charged only to find at year end they were hundreds of pounds owing the new supplier as they were tempted over by false figures!!
    So if you are able, get a quote in writing ,find your last years usage and work out for yourself how much your D/D should be.
    I am delighted now that supplier's have to show their tariff prices instead of the old sales pitch of "we can save you 25%" which was almost always untrue.
    The fact you can switch penalty free from GB is also a bonus.
    I will keep you informed of my progress and here's hoping I'm not reporting back with 'egg on my face' lol.
  • davietich
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention it was my Electricity energy I was referring to, I also have gas which I am changing to GB energy (dual fuel) as the prices are significantly cheaper as well than my current supplier.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just started the switch this morning. (Was on EON v15 fixed, and EON's latest fixed offer is 25% more than before, whilst GB energy fixed is cheaper than V15 was)

Already had the welcome pack, and the email to create a website password.

Got 14 days cooling off period to switch back if EON come up with a sensible offer on the 12th.......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Just started the switch this morning. (Was on EON v15 fixed, and EON's latest fixed offer is 25% more than before, whilst GB energy fixed is cheaper than V15 was)

Already had the welcome pack, and the email to create a website password.

Got 14 days cooling off period to switch back if EON come up with a sensible offer on the 12th.......

I am in the same position on Eon's v 15 and v 16 is an increase so rubbish, my end date is 28th jan so waiting for next direct debit to come out on 7th then will look at a move, may leave it a bit later so within 14 days of the end date as I do like Eon's website and billing so hope they might come back and offer me something better, just a bit worried about the mixed reviews lol.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I am in the same position on Eon's v 15 and v 16 is an increase so rubbish, my end date is 28th jan so waiting for next direct debit to come out on 7th then will look at a move, may leave it a bit later so within 14 days of the end date as I do like Eon's website and billing so hope they might come back and offer me something better, just a bit worried about the mixed reviews for GB lol.

Ali x

Just noticed online about the new tariff coming out on the 12th so will hang fire to see what that is, also considering a fix with OVO which is £100 a year ish more than the GB for my usage, but they have better reviews and people say the website is better. Will watch this thread and make my decision shortly

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    switched to dual fuel with gb energy in dec. so far not good.
    had a email which was missing a log in password to set up an account, but as it was at the beginning of joining with gb I dismissed it for when all the details had gone through thinking I would be sent another email with an actual password. never happened. got email asking me to sign in to my account with my log in details and submit a reading. phoned them and explained that the password was missing off my initial email and could I please be sent a new one. was told this could take days and to give the reading over the phone. as yet have still not had a log in details email, and even if I did I notice that the wording says the password expires in 4 hours. had another email asking for another reading, replied back that I still have not had any log in details sent to me. still no reply. though they have sent me a bill.
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    randm wrote: »
    switched to dual fuel with gb energy in dec. so far not good.
    had a email which was missing a log in password to set up an account, but as it was at the beginning of joining with gb I dismissed it for when all the details had gone through thinking I would be sent another email with an actual password. never happened. got email asking me to sign in to my account with my log in details and submit a reading. phoned them and explained that the password was missing off my initial email and could I please be sent a new one. was told this could take days and to give the reading over the phone. as yet have still not had a log in details email, and even if I did I notice that the wording says the password expires in 4 hours. had another email asking for another reading, replied back that I still have not had any log in details sent to me. still no reply. though they have sent me a bill.
    The email I got told me to set my own password which I did.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,693 Forumite
    Options
    randm wrote: »
    got email asking me to sign in to my account with my log in details and submit a reading.

Just go to https://www.gbenergysupply.co.uk/account/login and choose the forgotten password link and it will let you set one up.

The password doesn't last 4 hours- its how long the link in the email they send you to choose a password remains active before you need to use the forgotten password link again if you were unable to choose a password within that time frame.

Regards
    Sunil
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so instead of sending me an email to set up a login they sent me a password reminder email instead? i will try your link tomorrow and see if i can sign up that way.why didn't the phone operator tell me this?!!! thank you.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only problems I can see are:

1) They have this idea that they can "help" you by taking 50% more monthly DD in the Winter, and 50% less in the Summer, which is no good if you want to run a monthly budget. (Yes I can get round it by putting the Summer difference in a tin and then using it in the Winter months, but that is a little bit more effort than the "build up a surplus in the summer" system that has worked for many many years.

2) They are a small company, and very cheap, dare I say it almost too cheap for a guaranteed 12 months fix. What happens if they go bust?

I was perfectly happy with EON, and would have paid a realistic increase (1% to match inflation, possibly even as much as 5%)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure