How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• gb57 wrote: »
    PS I have never been in debt, but I agree that you are entitled to have a holiday (cheap as possible, of course :D ), unless you are so drowning in debt that even spending a few bob extra will destroy all your efforts to pay off debts. I thought Inactive sounded smug and pompous, and has obviously NEVER been poor :rolleyes:

Thank you so much it is really is reassuring to hear people think like that - I do believe that there are people out there who would like those in debt to be branded (across the forehead preferably - lol) so we are easily identifiable and discriminated against!

I also agree with your "carefree days of doing nothing", it was much the same for me as a child, a holiday every year, but on a budget and maybe just one day out in that! We seem to live in a world where "busy" is compulsary and if we're not "doing" then there is something wrong with us! Oh for the freedom of not feeling obliged to be rushing here there and everywhere. My dh is a compulsive "what we doing next? where we going next? etc" and he sees days doing nothing as a waste :mad: ! Perhaps I should try and educate him in the fine art of doing nothing although after being married almost 24 years it may be a little late ....lol .... you know old dogs and new tricks!!!

I can't believe I'm on here waffling at 4.32am, can't sleep, hair disaster (thats another story :mad: ) but so glad I have somewhere to waffle instead of tossing and turning in bed - thanks for this.
    love and hugs all
    IDA
    xx

PS: This is
    Debt Free Wannabe chat of the week: How much do you spend on holiday?
    in MSE Martins email - how cool is that!!

xx
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Up Late tonight ida

Hi

ym
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    Off on holiday myself tomorrow. Not planning to spend a great deal as we are camping in the New Forest and intend to spend our days having fun and long walks and picnics and time together. Only 3 days but weather looks good and the kids only have ' one' sleep to go. Doing the theme park thing on the way back with entry purchased with Tesco clubcard deals.

Really tired now as this is the last of my 4 nights and looking forward to a couple of hours kip before shopping for the big trip.

ym
  • Morning YM
    Yes can't sleep .... definately not like me!!! What did people do before the internet - oh yeah a milky drink lol!

Just noticed the sun is coming up -eek!

Loving the sound of your trip, any break is better than no break! You're off to USA in October aren't you? We're considering saving dh cigarette money for that - but never seem to get ahead enough to start saving -does that make sense - lol!!

Really should try and go back to sleep before dd wakes in a couple of hours - have a lovely break YM.
    IDA
    x
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    Morning

Off to USA next november 2008. I hope inactive does not pop back for a look because if he/she sees i am off to USA with debt it may topple them over the edge:rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a good kip

ym
  • Yeah know what you mean - lets get out the branding irons!!! Have to remember a trip like that is once in a lifetime (certainly for me) and if saved for from surplus income (o/t, ebay etc) has to be allowed - particularly when all debt being repaid - its not like we're doing a runner. Oops sorry getting on my soap box. Night YM.
    IDA
    x
  • yellowmonkey
    Options
    Night ida

ym
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    What a great thread.

My tips would be:-

1. Camp, it's great fun and cheap. You usually pay £10-15 per night for the tent. Campsites are great fun and what holidays are really about for me. I fondly remember them as a kid. Everyone's so friendly and all the kids can play toegther while the adults have a drink, BBQ etc. They're often on the seafront as well.

2. You don't need to spend money to have fun. Everything's what you make of it. Walks along beach, up mountains, round ruins, skimming stones (can keep me happy for hours), playing frisbee, swingball, footy, rounders, french cricket etc etc. Swimming pools, beach days.

3. If it's wet, who cares, it's only a bit of water. Makes things more fun ssometimes!

4. Take plenty of games and stuff with you. As in 2, tennis rackets, football, swingball, etc Having fun is what hoildays are about, not feeling obliged to trawl round and see everything going.

5, And a pack of cards, or other inside games if you don't fancy 3. Family card games are great. And educational.

6. Take picnics everywhere, or return to base for a lovely snack outside in the sun.

7. As others have said, defiently budget your cash. Per day is good. Looing after their own cash is on way to get nkids to appreciate money and stops you always being bad cop.

8. find the local supermarket. Stock up on booze if you drink. As anywhere, having a few before you go out saves a fortune.
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning

Off to USA next november 2008. I hope inactive does not pop back for a look because if he/she sees i am off to USA with debt it may topple them over the edge:rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a good kip

ym

YM you wanna be careful who you tell!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

GB57, excellent post! I agree, when I think back to my family holidays as a kid we didn't really do much and my parents weren't well off but they weren't in debt (as far as I know!). We always just took a picnic somewhere and sat on the beach/park etc.. but I loved it!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • Perhaps its our age or the rosy coloured glasses but things definately seemed easier when we were kids, I'm 42 and holidays were so exciting as a child - the adventure started with the journey! The adventure was being away from home, a caravan park with a pool (outdoor) pure luxury, a beach nearby and a club with a disco in the evening - heaven! Perhaps our kids are happy with the same and its actually us that think we should be "doing stuff" all the time - will mull that thought over.
    love and hugs
    IDA
    x

PS: Have to mention it again, did you see this is discussion of the week in Martin's weekly email!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills