How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Holiday? What's one of those?
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Hi IA
    Ours really is a cheappie affair, North Wales in the Tourer, it has probably cost about the same as Ste's PS3! OMG did that sound hard I hope not, didn't mean it too honest - but that is how much it cost us! Have you thought about the Sun vouchers - it can work out really cheap!
    love and hugs
    IDA
    x
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IA, ours was booked and paid for before our LBM, I am not going to regret it just enjoy it and spend as minimal amount of money as possible. I think that this will be the last holiday we have for a little while until our finances improve anyway!

IDA, yes I did notice that this thread was in the email - how cool is that!!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Done the sun £15 one this year and have a week in a caravan in November to look forward to :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . Don't think i will bother with the sun cream though :D

ym
  • swiftydr
    Options
    Hi IDA,
    Saw this on the newsletter and thought i'd add some tips for cheap activities in N Wales as I live up here.

First off there's a village called Llanfairfechan just off the A55 before you get to Bangor which is a lovely spot for a day out right on the sea. There's the beach obv, but also along the front and just off it are some playgrounds , a skatepark, paddling pool and tennis and basketball courts and a football pitch- all free, clean and usually pretty quiet. Also in the village is an easy walk involving water and stepping stones that kids love- just drive straight through the village towards the mountain and you should see some signs for a forest park.

Llanberis - village at foot of Snowden is another great place for kids with a play area and swimming in the lake- you may be pestered for a boat trip but the boats are pretty cheap to hire if I rem. correctly. Also there is a slate museum you can vist for free as far as I know
    http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/slate/

If you're keen to go to a zoo maybe save on petrol and go to the welsh mountain zoo in colwyn bay - it's prob cheaper and apparently they've just got some new rescued bears. Check the FAQs for info on prices and vouchers- tesco and otherwise : http://www.welshmountainzoo.org/faq.htm

There are also loads of free events this time of year along the coast- if I remember correctly this sat there's a jazz band and sausage sizzle in Conwy!! The Conwy river festival starts on the 11th so maybe worth checking out events. try the county website:

http://www.visitconwy.org.uk/content.php?nID=3&langID=1

I hope some of these suggestions help, have a great holiday!
    D
  • Thanks D thats great will definately be doing some of that!
  • Gorwel
    Gorwel Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I live in Llanfairfechan too - a great spot. Friends always comment on the ample free parking for the beach, the disabled -friendly walk along the long prom and the bird reserve there. About 3 miles nearer Bangor on the A55 is the village of Abergwyngregyn where the waterfall is well worth the visit. Aber Falls is well signposted and it's a pretty 3km walk through a valley to the stunning Falls.
    Re: Booking the train up Snowdon in advance is cheaper BUT allow for the fact that the weather is changeable in mountains and you may find your next-day booked train goes up in thick mist, torrential rain or gales!!!!
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Holiday? What's one of those?

Totally agree with you - I hav'nt had a holiday for over 17 years but I'm not in debt either.
  • aardvaak wrote: »
    Totally agree with you - I hav'nt had a holiday for over 17 years but I'm not in debt either.

Holidays have always been important to us, as a working class family it has been traditionally our "getaway" our "escape". Never abroad, always on the cheap but a learning experience for all the family. Our annual fortnight was as important as Christmas, scrimping and saving through the year meant both these were afforded. That is my family tradition. Should I deny my family that experience because of my debt. I am not increasing my debt with this getaway and have not run away from my debt, as I've said previously all will be repaid (including interest added at source and unnecessary ppi).

If I sound defensive I am, I do not have to justify what I do! The childhood years are brief and precious and from these I believe the foundations for life are set, it is important for me that my children experience the travel and sense of adventure that I did (even a caravan in Devon is an adventure when your 5)! Other people have different criteria and that is their perogative I do not judge their gadget and gizmos, we don't own a plasma, a wii, a ps3, a new car!!

Yes I am in debt, I am not a leper, if you cut me I will still bleed, I have not comitted murder and I will ultimately repay my debt!
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were very lucky our DS never wanted to leave the campsite, give him a swimming pool, field to play on, football, cricket set, bats and balls and a gang of kids to play with and he was in heaven. Check with your kids they may want a day chilling on the site from time to time especially if they make friends. I would allocate ice cream money for the boys and give them that and tell them to manage it, though we do the supermarket thing too (even now cos I'm tight!)
    Agreed I found France cheaper in the long run.
    Whether you have a holiday or not is not one for anyone to judge, but I would eat in, shop at Lidl/Aldi or large supermarkets and not the camp shop, and spread trips out which cost through the holiday with walking days/campsite days etc. Set a max target to spend, and a goal of trying to bring some home, not I've got some left so we'll blow it, even if it is saved for a short break/day out later in the year, the you have a goal to try to spend less for.
    Enjoy your break and I hope the weather is kind.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure