How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• jo1972 wrote: »
    IDA, I just read your message lol, my 15yo dd has fallen in love too, last week he sent her 3 sunflowers and a dozen roses for their 2 month anniversary :eek: I told dh off for not ever sending me flowers :rotfl: I have a feeling she will be using all my free network minutes whilst we're away talking to him!

Just bumping this thread for any more spending advice for IDA and Bognor day's out for me :D

Hi Jo
    just noticed your reply - thanks for the bump! DS away at St.Johns camp with his beloved as we speak ;) so he'll either come home more in love than ever or they'll have fallen out:rotfl: ! Don't know which would be worse - lol!!! Oh those were the days ..... not!!
    Anyway back to the holiday, North Wales and Bognor any ideas anyone?
    IDA
    x
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya - glad your holiday is soon. Know what you mean about money worries though :rolleyes:

Why not try and break up the "free" days with the "spending" days? That way if you have a quiet day of going for a walk or on the beach with a picnic and the kids get bored, you can say well tomorrow we will.... ;)

Although my plan is lots of free days and then save the spending money for later in the week when they moan about being bored - sure OH will have different ideas though, as soon as there are icecreams to be had!!! :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've got 6 sleeps as I was discussing with DS this morning! He is totally beside himself that we are no longer counting weeks :rotfl:

Really not sure I'm gonna be able to cope with the teenage angst while we're away, she is soooo miserable when she doesn't get to see him!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • CharliesAngel
    Options
    Whats a holiday? :)

:p

I've not had one since my lightbulb moment so I'm absolutely no use I'm afraid. :)

Anyone care to enlighten me too?! :o Barca back in 2001 methinks...

I'd try to split your budget in to however many days you're going and try to stick to it... hard i know with 5 of you going but hopefully you'll be out sightseeing (for free) all day and not spend lol :rolleyes:
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
  • evab_2
    evab_2 Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    Options
    Come to North Wales, it's lovely!
  • ltm07
    ltm07 Posts: 966 Forumite
    Options
    OH & i go to Newquay on Friday(staying at her Dad's in Exeter & then down to Newquay Saturday morning). DD is away with her Aunty & Uncle for 2 weeks & we are meeting up with them for a day next week. Got £300 set aside for spending & another £200 in a seperate account just in case,but very unlikely that we'll have to touch this. Stopping in a B & B so it will be cereals,toast & a full English every day to make sure we don't have to spend much on food!;)
    Debt at LBM(July 1st 07)-£35,053.92 Debt on 1st Anniversary of LBM(July 1st 08)-£33,170.11 (31st January 09)-£32,318.73Paid off so far £2,735.19(7.8%) Average paid off p.m. £143.95 L/H supporter 115 DFD target February 2018 DFD March 2028. PAD(Started 28/12/08) £253.77 £10 a day Feb £110/£280 WEDDING Paid off £1,585.96 Saved Up £925.40
  • My biggest problem is that I control finances so I'm the one who has to say no all the time which is a real strain. Try to educate dh but he just doesn't get it! lol

Will definately try the alternate day thing newlywed and also try and break it down into how many days we're away. Thought I might take out x amount for days out (say the train and the zoo?) and then divide the rest into days. Will have to have a think. Many thanks to you all.
    IDA
    x
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • newlywed
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean about the one having to say no all the time ;)

Or work out the thing you think they will like best and save it to near the end of the holiday?

I remember staying in a relative's small caravan in somerset for the week and mum and dad were hard up. We usually went for walks, ice cream as a treat, then there were a couple of "paid" days out. Still remember being stuck inside all day when it was tipping with rain and making cheese on toast with toasted apple slices as that's all the food we had :D

It was still a great holiday ;)
  • newlywed
    Options
    IDA - tips for North Wales here too: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=508163

full-time mum has posted interesting points about the greenwoodforest park ;)
  • gb57
    gb57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I know it might be because I am so ancient :eek: but my main, happy, memories of childhood holidays (we were very hard up, but managed a "house swap" one year, and the rich lady my mum cleaned for used to let us use her second home - beautiful thatched cottage in Dorset - for free!) are the freedom of being able to run around in the countryside away from the city streets, climbing trees, roaming in the woods, just playing, spending all day on the beach, playing cricket/rounders etc, and then dad helping us to build huge sandcastles/sand boats, and watching the tide come in to engulf them, helping mum and dad pick apples to earn money one year - great fun running around the orchard - in other words, all the things that cost nothing. Such happy memories:j.
    I know it might be different with teenagers, but would strongly recommend that on nice days you have "do nothing" days - that is what holidays are for! You don't have to "do" something every day (It is, after all, your holiday too, and you need a rest....)

PS I have never been in debt, but I agree that you are entitled to have a holiday (cheap as possible, of course :D ), unless you are so drowning in debt that even spending a few bob extra will destroy all your efforts to pay off debts. I thought Inactive sounded smug and pompous, and has obviously NEVER been poor :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure