How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• skysky69
    skysky69 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I would just like to say that I believe that any family deserves to have a little break away from the stresses and strains of everyday life. Holidays can be as cheap and cheerful as anyone makes them and quality time away in a new environment can really motivate people to continue on their debt free journey.

Don't let people who don't understand what it is like to live 51 weeks of the year on a shoestring tell you you can't live that other 1 week (still on a shoestring) by the seaside. :beer:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 607 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    One day maybe I will be debt free :o
  • vickaycon
    vickaycon Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi we are off camping next saturday there are 5 off us 2 adults 3 kids I am taking £300 with us, thats for days out and food I have brought a small BBQ for cheap meals also if you are going to wales try www.visitwales.com there are lots of FREE places to visit also look for pubs etc that do offers like 2 for a fiver of BOGOF, you'll be amazed whats out there if you look

Have a great holiday and relax!!!!!
  • Spud don't know if you'll read this but Parkdean just emailed me about last minute bargain might be worth a look!
    Really looking forward to the hols only a week to go now - meal plan advice would be warmly welcomed!
    Thanks all
    IDA
    xx
    I stopped smoking 25th June 2007
    STILL Never complacent but confident
    My debt is GOING DOWN!!!!
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    havnt read the thread but felt it might help to let you know what we spent ...were just back from cyprus (away for a fortnight) we spent £1750 for 2 adults and 1 child but then cyprus is so expensive although to be honest we usually do spend alot anyway ...have a fantastic holiday and hope you have enough
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My holidays this year:

April, Italy, £110
    Ryanair, beautiful village youth hostel near Milan, hiking in countryside and train trips to beach etc. 6 days.

July, S France, £60
    Ryanair, family house (so no accommodation charge), use of family car to see local area. Just over 1 week.

August, Holland, £160
    Thomsonfly, 3 days in Amsterdam Youth Hostel, 4 days in Lowlands music festival

September, Isle of Wight, £98
    Red Funnel, 4 days at Bestival music festival

It's the best holiday year I've had! Not very much spent, and lots of short breaks to different places makes it all seem worthwhile :-)

Top recommendation: if you like music festivals, you've got to go to Lowlands in Holland - bigger and better than Glastonbury, and way cheaper even when you include transport there and back! They've also never sold out in the last two years, so it's easy to get tickets.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi IDA, you'll have to come here and give all the tips when you get back too - we go after you ;)

My meal plan so far is anything easy that I don't need a recipe for.... :-

First day - kids favourite - Pasta with smoked pork sausage, passata and paprika

Other days
    Scrambled eggs and bacon on toast with beans if we're hungry (depending on kitchen equipment available)
    Chicken Pasta bake (using condensed soup)
    Meatballs (HM) in tomato sauce with spaghetti or noodles
    Pizza and garlic bread (chuck in the oven meal)

If there is a microwave, I may do baked potatoes with salad.

Maybe grilled pork chops and tinned potatoes and veg.

It's my holiday too so if it takes longer than half an hour and takes more than one braincell to cook - forget it!! :D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    havnt read the thread but felt it might help to let you know what we spent ...were just back from cyprus (away for a fortnight) we spent £1750 for 2 adults and 1 child but then cyprus is so expensive although to be honest we usually do spend alot anyway ...have a fantastic holiday and hope you have enough

Jeeezzzzzzz!

What on earth did you spend it on? Were you self catering?

I am worried now that I haven't got enough.

Sarah x
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, hope you don't mind IDA but I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and partially highjack your thread!

As previously mentioned I'm off to Butlins in Bognor on Aug 13th, pre LBM decision, paid to go half board so although I'm slightly regretting spending so much money at least I know I don't have to cook!!

I've never been to Bognor before, can anyone recommend places to go? Preferably cheap :D

We've 3 kids aged 15, 4 and 2 and would like to cater for all of them, although the 15yr old will be difficult to cater for wherever we go, she didn't even want to come with us :rotfl:

Thanks for any help you can give!
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jo1972 wrote: »
    OK, hope you don't mind IDA but I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and partially highjack your thread!

As previously mentioned I'm off to Butlins in Bognor on Aug 13th, pre LBM decision, paid to go half board so although I'm slightly regretting spending so much money at least I know I don't have to cook!!

I've never been to Bognor before, can anyone recommend places to go? Preferably cheap :D

We've 3 kids aged 15, 4 and 2 and would like to cater for all of them, although the 15yr old will be difficult to cater for wherever we go, she didn't even want to come with us :rotfl:

Thanks for any help you can give!

hi there.

i love bognor although im slightly biased as i live there:D

hmm cheap places to go...

if the weather stays fine, the beach is cheap and butlins is just on the beach, although if you are buying icecreams and the like the cost can go up dramatically.

have you got transport? if so, arundel (about 15 mins away is beautiful, i grew up there) walks are free!

your 15 year old will be difficult:o she will probably love the town but you will end up spending a fortune, an allowance for the week perhaps?

being a tourist town you will find most things expensive unfortunately:( butlins is great though, if you take advantage of all the free activities instead of the ones you have to pay for:D

HTH
    November NSD's - 7
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jo1972 wrote:

Best thing at Bognor Butlins is the Dancing Machine! I rocked that thing...

Nice beaches very close by for the teenager, and shopping... and Butlins has loads of facilities for the littlies :-)
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport