We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesco have named the stores which will close.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have lived in Sheffield all my life and didn't even know we had a Tesco at the Manor.

Use it while you can.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco took alot of people on workfare and didnt pay them wages.
    :footie:
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    Tesco took alot of people on workfare and didnt pay them wages.

Thats what workfare is, working for no wages.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thats what workfare is, working for no wages.

I thought that was 'self-employment'.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I thought that was 'self-employment'.

You are right, but workfare is where you work for someone else for no wages and self-employed is where you work for yourself for no wages.

Almost the same, but with one if you do it wrong you can lose an unpaid job, but with the other you can lose everything.
  • honeythewitch
    Options
    IronWolf wrote: »
    This is nothing like the Prisoners dilemma though. People are not better off by cooperating to avoid Tesco, there is no benefit to them if other people do or dont shop there. If everyone is better off individually shopping at Tesco then the community as a whole is better off shopping at Tesco.

More so because the more customers a single shop has, the greater its buying power which reduces prices even further for customers.

But people are only better off shopping at the supermarket until the other shops are put out of business.
    Then the only shop available can (and do) charge as much as they like!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not suprised at the Chatham one closing as having been there its the pits and most people try to use the one at the Bowaters roundabout instead.To go to chatham the parking is dreadful and awkward to get in and out of, plus the store is very run down and a bit tatty.i once saw a girl changing her baby on the floor in there Its not near for other shops as its tucked away off from the hight street.I'm suprised its lasted as long as it has to be honest.Mind you I try not to shop in Tescos if I can anyway.I have a Metro about 4 minutes away from me that only keeps high priced items and few of the basic stuff and the big tescos at Bowaters is so big it would take you a good hour to walk around it At my age my time is far more precious to me than to walk down an aisle of twenty different types of baked bean
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure