We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesco have named the stores which will close.

Options

Comments

• dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    you dont get it do you? Lots of people were employed at butchers, bakers, etc then they lost their jobs because their shop closed down due to Tescos so they were out of a job.
    They didn't lose their jobs due to Tescos.

They lost their jobs, because would-be customers no longer wished to shop at the butchers, bakers, etc. The shops closed because the shops were no longer viable; they no longer provided people with things they wanted at prices they wanted.

No shop has some sort of god-given right to exist (including Tesco, as we've seen). They continue to operate so long as they offer enough of what people want, that customers choose to shop there. But if not enough people choose to shop there to pay the bills, the shop will have to shut down.

And really, that's no-one's "fault" but their own.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The one in Chatham is horribly grim and run down, next to an in-shops hovel, and attached to a smelly and threatening public car park. No idea about the others. Hope they don't hold onto the land and stop others doing something useful with it.
    Been away for a while.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    The one in Chatham is horribly grim and run down, next to an in-shops hovel, and attached to a smelly and threatening public car park. No idea about the others. Hope they don't hold onto the land and stop others doing something useful with it.

sounds like the bedlington store....which is also closing
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that we will see the extra stores start to rent out space inside the stores,ours has already rented space to virgin holidays
    weve got pure gym in ours quite handy though get a cake after
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Only one in my entire county, but which is in a town I wouldn't even go to, it's that bad.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Originally Posted by red devil viewpost.gifThey steamrollered over everyone to get what they wanted.

Im glad to see they are not finding it so good now.

We diversify, we shop at Tesco, Asda, Aldi and Lidl. we even frequent Home Bargains, B&M and Iceland.

Be that none of these Tesco stores have closed near us, I am sure Tesco will go on as a chain, much like the rest of them, if little ole me still frequents them, I am sure many more will continue to.

Tesco will not be effected by a few store closures, only those unfortunate enough to work in one of them on the list, are likely to suffer. But am glad it puts a smirk on your face. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Hands Off Hadleigh campaign makes for interesting reading.

Tesco tried to open a store there but met with fierce opposition. They first applied for planning permission in 1987 and for 25 years they kept on appealing and trying to force their way into an area where they were just not wanted.

However the opposition campaign finally won and in December 2013 Tesco finally admitted defeat and said they would not be appealing again.

Tesco did not come out squeaky clean on that one, they tried to bully the local council and bulldoze their way where they were not welcome.

Tesco are probably no worse than any of the other supermarkets. I think both the Big 4 supermarkets and many of the large retail chains have a lot to answer for. They have ruined the face of our high streets, all our towns and cities are now just clones of each other.

Many of the small indies have gone to the wall, our high streets are just soulless deserts and many of our farmers are fighting to stay afloat.

Thankfully I think the tide is beginning to turn and people are waking up and realising what has been lost.

I now try to avoid supermarkets and large retail chains as much as possible, I prefer to give my money to local shops, businesses and tradespeople.

It all depends on where you live of course and I appreciate that in some areas there are no real alternatives to supermarkets. However, I have been pleasantly surprised to find that not all independent retailers are more expensive than the supermarkets. Some are even cheaper and they often offer better products too.

I now rarely do a big supermarket shop, I tend to shop little and often, using markets, farm shops, butchers, greengrocers etc - like our mothers and grandmothers did. We eat well and I'm even saving money on the food bill. Win-win.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sadly my local TESCO superstore isn't closing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When Tesco opens in a town, a town that has a thriving High Street with local butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, who forces people shop at Tesco? That's right, nobody. Nobody puts a gun to people's head and forces them on a bus to the nearest supermarket - the public go there of their own volition.

Tesco didn't put shops out of business. Customers put shops out of business because they decided that Tesco offered them something that was preferable to what they previously had.

Those customers could have decided to stick with the shops that had served them perfectly well before Tesco arrived, or the local butcher, grocer, etc could have adapted to the changing local market, but neither happened. Neither of those things are Tesco's fault.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but people are equally entitled to call it out - particularly when your opinion seems to be based around straw-man arguments and hysteria.

This is perfectly true, but it's also disingenuous. The decision where to shop is an example of a Prisoner's Dilemma: the community as a whole is better off if everyone cooperates by not using the supermarket, but each individual is better off by betraying the rest of the population and buying where it's cheapest. Thus if everyone behaves rationally in their own best interest, the independent traders go bust.

It has been shown that iterative games of Prisoner's Dilemma can lead to a resolution of the paradox by giving players an opportunity to punish past betrayal with retaliatory action, this is how and why t!t for tat behaviour evolved (no, it's not just childishness). At first it might seem that supermarket shopping is an example of iterative PD because people go shopping multiple times, but in practice the costs of being betrayed are deferred for too long and too diluted for their effect to be attributed to any particular individual.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoners-Dilemma-Neumann-Theory-Puzzle/dp/038541580X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422528933&sr=8-1&keywords=poundstone+prisoner
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    This is perfectly true, but it's also disingenuous. The decision where to shop is an example of a Prisoner's Dilemma: the community as a whole is better off if everyone cooperates by not using the supermarket, but each individual is better off by betraying the rest of the population and buying where it's cheapest. Thus if everyone behaves rationally in their own best interest, the independent traders go bust.....

In what way would a community be "better off" by shopping at a range of independent traders rather than a supermarket? Surely, if the supermarket is cheaper, the community is better off to the tune of the aggregate savings on its shopping bills?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure