We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesco have named the stores which will close.

Options

Comments

• quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Options
    JasonLVC wrote: »
    Do we know what will become of the empty stores?

I see most are corner shop/Expresses but there is a fair few mega-shops in there. Presumably they'll not sell to a competitor and so could be turned into much needed housing perhaps?
    The Sheffield Manor one is to close, my guess being either Jack Fulton or Aldi/Lidl will leap on it. Prime site.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I use the Southampton Homeplus one quite often. It's a big store so it'll be interesting to see what replaces it.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    IronWolf wrote: »
    So are Aldi & Lidl also greedy for opening more shops?

I dont get why people are so happy that a British retailer like Tesco is doing badly while foreign retailers are coming in and taking market share.

aldi and lidl dont sell everything, tescos sell everything remember or try to down to insurance, holidays, electrical items, they closed lots of small shops down. They didnt give a toss about butchers, florists, book shops.

They steamrollered over everyone to get what they wanted.

Im glad to see they are not finding it so good now.
    :footie:
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    Good, karma has come to bite them on the bum.

And the employees who worked in these stores and will now lose their jobs?
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    They have, they were well known for ruining the high streets and little shops.

There was me thinking that it was the customers who decided to desert the High Street to go and shop at Tesco.

Tesco didn't force anyone to leave their local butcher, baker and grocer. They just offered a proposition that people found preferable.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not in my opinion. They were so greedy opening everywhere.

I too think they got too greedy. Where I live there is a very large 24 hour store, a large store, a homestore and at least 7 Express stores. I live practically on the doorstep of the 24 hour store but probably only go there twice a year if I run out of something. I prefer Sainsbury and they are usually cheaper than Tesco
    IronWolf wrote: »
    So are Aldi & Lidl also greedy for opening more shops?

I dont get why people are so happy that a British retailer like Tesco is doing badly while foreign retailers are coming in and taking market share.

I don't use Aldi or Lidl that much because I can't get the items I want in either of them BUT they are not trying to close every independent butcher/greengrocer/baker/grocer by opening Express stores are they? They also have not got into:

banking
    insurance
    fitted kitchens
    phones
    mortgages
    credit cards
    loans
    bathrooms

Tesco seemed to want to take over almost everything in this country and I, for one, am glad they failed
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Options
    I had to go in Tesco last Saturday - my OH was collecting something. So she decided to do the shopping there. On almost everything she picked up, I was quoting Morrisons & Aldi prices - and even Sainsburys.

Tesco IS expensive for many, many things imo, but the quantity/quality is no different. I've no idea why T's think they can charge the extra that they do.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I too think they got too greedy. Where I live there is a very large 24 hour store, a large store, a homestore and at least 7 Express stores. I live practically on the doorstep of the 24 hour store but probably only go there twice a year if I run out of something. I prefer Sainsbury and they are usually cheaper than Tesco

Not as cheap as Asda though.

Although the main reason I shop at Asda is because it's local.
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2015 at 5:55PM
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    banking
    insurance
    fitted kitchens
    phones
    mortgages
    credit cards
    loans
    bathrooms

Most of these products were effectively white label products. The financial services were basically RBS under a different name.

The bathrooms and kitchens were, I believe, run by a relatively small operator that paid a licensing fee for the Tesco brand. There was (in all likelihood) very little investment from Tesco).

It wasn't so much a case of Tesco "wanting to sell everything", but a case of other businesses wanting to trade off the strength of probably the most recognisable brand in the country (quite a selling point for a toxic brand like RBS). Tesco was just happy to oblige by licensing its name out.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    evenasus wrote: »
    And the employees who worked in these stores and will now lose their jobs?

But tescos lost people in small shops their jobs to start with.
    :footie:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport