Tesco have named the stores which will close.

Options

Comments

• whatmichaelsays
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    But tescos lost people in small shops their jobs to start with.

No.

The customers who decided to stop shopping at their local shops and start shopping at Tesco "cost people in small shops their jobs".

People could have very easily carried on supporting their local High Street if they were so inclined.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But tescos lost people in small shops their jobs to start with.

And that was the fault of the Tesco employees about to lose their jobs?
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    No.

The customers who decided to stop shopping at their local shops and start shopping at Tesco "cost people in small shops their jobs".

People could have very easily carried on supporting their local High Street if they were so inclined.

Yes and tescos could have not opened up everywhere and triec to sell everything. They were a grocers shop werent they? They expanded and got so bloody greedy. Never will i feel sorry for Tescos.
    :footie:
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I too think they got too greedy. Where I live there is a very large 24 hour store, a large store, a homestore and at least 7 Express stores. I live practically on the doorstep of the 24 hour store but probably only go there twice a year if I run out of something. I prefer Sainsbury and they are usually cheaper than Tesco

I don't use Aldi or Lidl that much because I can't get the items I want in either of them BUT they are not trying to close every independent butcher/greengrocer/baker/grocer by opening Express stores are they? They also have not got into:

banking
    insurance
    fitted kitchens
    phones
    mortgages
    credit cards
    loans
    bathrooms

Tesco seemed to want to take over almost everything in this country and I, for one, am glad they failed
    you cant get a bath at tescos?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    Yes and tescos could have not opened up everywhere and triec to sell everything. They were a grocers shop werent they? They expanded and got so bloody greedy. Never will i feel sorry for Tescos.

Whether or not they tried to sell everything isn't the point. That hasn't cost anyone "in a small shop" their job, which is what you tried to claim.

What cost people jobs (ignoring the fact that Tesco is a massive private sector employer) is the behaviour of consumers. Nobody forced anyone to shop at a Tesco store when it first opened.

Nevertheless, I'm sure your mocking of Tesco will be greatly appreciated by the many, many employees who will have to start a job hunt when they get home tonight.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    you cant get a bath at tescos?

You can try, but they'd probably ask you to leave.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a suspicion that we will see the extra stores start to rent out space inside the stores,ours has already rented space to virgin holidays
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    Whether or not they tried to sell everything isn't the point. That hasn't cost anyone "in a small shop" their job, which is what you tried to claim.

What cost people jobs (ignoring the fact that Tesco is a massive private sector employer) is the behaviour of consumers. Nobody forced anyone to shop at a Tesco store when it first opened.

Nevertheless, I'm sure your mocking of Tesco will be greatly appreciated by the many, many employees who will have to start a job hunt when they get home tonight.

you dont get it do you? Lots of people were employed at butchers, bakers, etc then they lost their jobs because their shop closed down due to Tescos so they were out of a job.

Im allowed to have my opinion on Tescos. I hate them.They have got their just desserts. I feel sorry for all the butchers and greengrocers that had to close their doors.
    :footie:
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    you dont get it do you? Lots of people were employed at butchers, bakers, etc then they lost their jobs because their shop closed down due to Tescos so they were out of a job.

When Tesco opens in a town, a town that has a thriving High Street with local butchers, bakers and candlestick makers, who forces people shop at Tesco? That's right, nobody. Nobody puts a gun to people's head and forces them on a bus to the nearest supermarket - the public go there of their own volition.

Tesco didn't put shops out of business. Customers put shops out of business because they decided that Tesco offered them something that was preferable to what they previously had.

Those customers could have decided to stick with the shops that had served them perfectly well before Tesco arrived, or the local butcher, grocer, etc could have adapted to the changing local market, but neither happened. Neither of those things are Tesco's fault.
    Im allowed to have my opinion on Tescos.
    You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but people are equally entitled to call it out - particularly when your opinion seems to be based around straw-man arguments and hysteria.
  • IronWolf
    IronWolf Posts: 6,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    aldi and lidl dont sell everything, tescos sell everything remember or try to down to insurance, holidays, electrical items, they closed lots of small shops down. They didnt give a toss about butchers, florists, book shops.

They steamrollered over everyone to get what they wanted.

Im glad to see they are not finding it so good now.

LOL, you think Aldi and Lidl give a toss about who they run out of business? They will sell whatever makes them money.

Tesco didnt force anyone out of business, if people preferred to shop there over independent retailers then it is the people that closed down those stores, not Tesco.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure