MSE News: Virgin Media begins notifying non-cable customers of transfer

in Phones & TV
73 replies 15.8K views
"Virgin Media home phone and broadband customers who aren't on the provider's cable network will start to receive letters from this week..."
Read the full story:

Virgin Media begins notifying non-cable customers of transfer to TalkTalk

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• edited 7 January 2015 at 5:36PM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2015 at 5:36PM
    I received my letter on Monday. We had a phone package with TalkTalk a few years ago and left because they were a nightmare to deal with so I'm not overjoyed at this news.

Maybe time to start looking elsewhere.... a shame, I've always had good service from Virgin :(
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter
    South facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07, 2021 £1250.00
    2022 (offset) YTD £500.00
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not realise Virgin offered a service for non cabled customers. Sounds a little late now but had I known when I moved from cabled to non cabled area, I would have kept on my TV package.

I miss Virgin Media and am stuck with BT Infinity and their useless Youview box, I cannot wait for the contract to end so I can get rid of the Youview. I only hope Virgin Media get off their hind's and provide fibre optic around here so I can jump back. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I did not realise Virgin offered a service for non cabled customers. Sounds a little late now but had I known when I moved from cabled to non cabled area, I would have kept on my TV package.

I miss Virgin Media and am stuck with BT Infinity and their useless Youview box, I cannot wait for the contract to end so I can get rid of the Youview. I only hope Virgin Media get off their hind's and provide fibre optic around here so I can jump back. ;)
    VM stopped providing ADSL to new customers and presumably house movers quite a long time ago.

They won't be cabling much in the way of new areas any time soon although they still occasionally do small "fill in" areas. Cabling the areas that were done bankrupted many of the cable companies involved. All that's left now is Virgin Media (a rebranded NTL) who are carrying a massive debt burden and nobody is likely to be pumping money in to finance expansion.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    marleyboy wrote: »

They don't, they just resell BT broadband. You wouldn't have gotten any TV services.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Out of the frying pan into the fire" springs to mind...
  • OblivionOblivion Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were cold called by a Virgin 'Account Manager' several weeks ago to tell us our ADSL account (via BT landline) was going to be transferred to Talk Talk. He said we would be better off transferring to their (Virgin) cable service.

Since then we have had personal visits from the Virgin account manager and the local Virgin surveyor who said we would have a new cable pulled to our premises ... given a date of installation ... which was then cancelled because they said they couldn't pull the new cable due to an obstruction in the road ........ and so we wait. I doubt this will have a happy outcome.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    oh dear! time to ditch and run!
    never really heard bad reports on virgin. so why they a throwing a way customers and passing them on to talk talk i don't know?

talk talk are one of the worst performers in the the sector.
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    VM stopped providing ADSL to new customers and presumably house movers quite a long time ago.

Yes, I think this is only longstanding legacy customers who haven't moved across or away from Virgin.

I'm moving to a building that was turned into flats in 2001 and no fibreoptic was put in. I can't keep their services at all and I'm expected to pay a ETF of £110 because they don't cover that area.

I'd have happily taken out Virgins ADSL if I could have. Wouldn't touch Talk Talk with a barge pole!
  • paulsadpaulsad Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Talktalk haven't been that bad to be honest with me anyway for the last 2 yrs. The youview box is slow to change channels sometimes and the standard supplied one has no hard disc so you can't record - I picked up a better one cheap off ebay so at least I can record stuff and not rely on catchup. I changed from virgin cable on my last house move to save money and it is a lot cheaper.

• Complained to VM about being "dumped" and requested some undertaking of level of service TalkTalk would provide. Several friends have had a very bad time with TT. Also requested to be allowed to port over my email address of 15 years. No joy. Unhappy with being otherwise being forced to go to BT.

Considering a complaint to the telecoms ombudsman – has anyone got any thoughts please?

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides