PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beginning the put back now having discarded as I emptied - shed swept out and de webbed - I will get a vacuum out to it sometime soon! Grandads old tool box still in there - I have been using it as a seat. Cant face opening it even though I know whats in there is just rusty old stuff - OH took out what he could make use of years ago. My plan is to eventually clear it out and sand box down and use it to store gardening stuff in, and sit on ;)

Will continue to discard as I put things back in. Already decided not to keep some old folding garden chairs that we havent used in years because the canvas needed replacing and I never go round to it and bought new chairs! - firewood pile :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No kondoing done today with family round but still lots to do.

Apart from chocolate:rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Apart from chocolate:rotfl:
    This is true, but they did also bring choccy for us. I must make an effort to kondo that before the week is over;)
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I-Queen - ((hugs)) xx I can only imagine x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • LizzieR
    LizzieR Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend! It certainly sounds as though there has been a lot of kondoing going on! I was hoping to get lots done, but it hasn't happened. I've been at the allotment quite a lot instead, as well as helping my folks out in their garden. I'm trying to think of the allotment as deferred kondoing.... as we're moving things around and creating a sort of patio area - which will become the new home for the table and 4 chairs that are currently living in my garage! So ultimately it will help with the kondoing! It's also been lovely to get out in the fresh air and make progress at the allotment, and it will save money in the long run, so I guess I can't feel too fed up that the kondoing has slowed.... I did manage to empty out a kitchen food cupboard yesterday and get it sorted out, so I've had a little bit of a kondo fix!

IQueen - thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully most of us have nothing so difficult in our lives, but hearing about how you've kept some important items even though they make you sad is really thought-provoking. It makes me think that it's all well and good only keeping things that give us joy, but there are other artefacts in our lives that may bring other powerful feelings and emotions.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    iQueen - thank you for sharing x

No real kondoing happened here today. We were mainly in the garden and garage, where some pre kondoing was achieved - some items were swiftly identified and added to the CS pile (ready to take on Tues morning) and some items were put together in categories. We are aiming to KM the garage over one of the May Bank Hol weekends. There are quite a few categories of stuff in there - camping, gardening, car maintenance and cleaning, decorating, pet stuff, lots of packaging for ebaying, some excess stocks (eg: kitchen paper towels), outdoor/ beach toys etc. Will be a long job - and best way of doing it is to empty the garage out onto the drive - so am hoping for a couple of days of good weather over one of those weekends!!! :D:D Will do a little more pre KMing between now and then (some excess garden stuff will be ideal to freegle right now - and I have some seeds to sow. I can hopefully also use some of the packaging on some ebay sales before then too!!)

Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter weekend x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hugs IQueen. If it helps any, my step-mum didn't start looking for her birth mother until she was in her mid to late 50s. Her reason for waiting until then was because she felt she couldn't do it until her adoptive mother had died and her adoptive mother lived well into her 90s. I helped her search for her and luckily she had an unusual married name. My step-mum and her birth mother had many lovely years getting to know each other.

Not much done today because I had family over.
    As I was rushing around clearing up before they came I did think to myself hopefully soon I won't have to do this mad rush before visitors arrive because it will be clear of clutter.

I did manage to pop 2 tops into the charity bag, I had washed them so they went straight from the washing line into the bag before I changed my mind! :o

I also had a cull of my Kipling bags. Decided to ebay 4 of them but gave my mum first refusal because she likes Kiplings. She took one.
    I also gave her a foundation that is too dark for me and told her to bin it if it doesn't suit.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Saw this and it made me grin!
    (Please tell me if pic doesn't appear because it's been a long time since I last uploaded one and unsure if I've done it correctly. Thanks.)

image.jpg1.jpg
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • Dolly_Mixture
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice about paperwork. I have done a few more folders today. I think I was wondering what to do with a study with nothing to keep in it, but I think I can move the photos in there when I have sorted them. It is going to take a while to do but it will be worth it!

Part of the problem is that there are sentimental items in the paperwork which can suddenly slow you down.

Today I have found receipts for a sofa we no longer have, bikes we no longer have, newsletters from my daughters primary school (she is now in year 10!). Going paperless definitely will help in the future!

Thanks to those who have shared some personal stories. There are some items that are very difficult to discard and some we should probably not discard, this method does help to sort those out.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found my birth Mum and she didn't want to know/meet/anything :(
    Must use my stash up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing