PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• MyHappinessProject
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Already decided not to keep some old folding garden chairs that we havent used in years because the canvas needed replacing and I never go round to it and bought new chairs! - firewood pile :)

I had a bonfire this evening of rubbish(i was working today , so no real Kondoing done) --very satisfying and cleansing to have bonfire!
  • skeeter93
    skeeter93 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :o No, I think it's the universal human conditon. If I drop a knife/ wooden spoon/ spatula down between the oven and the cupboard, I either retrieve it immediately or several months later in one of the periodic clean-up-under-appliances sessions. After having spent a lot of head-scratching wondering where my fave veg prep knife is........:p

I have got past a state of mind about my bathroom. My bathroom is an-all white room and I keep it very clear, but was experiencing an emotion about the bare and empty top of the cistern. Surely I should put a decorative object on it? An ornament, possibly with a nautical theme, or even a picture? Charity shops offered several 'solutions' to this but I was enjoying the ease with which I could just whip a cloth over the cistern top for cleaning.

After a while, the discomfort at the plainness/ emptiness disappears. Or at least it did for me. And it is lovely to be able to straighten up and clean a bathroom in a couple of minutes.

What is this periodic clean under appliances? :eek: After having a lot of home opens etc, I too am a fan of the clear surfaces that can just be wiped quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't come naturally to us, so the week inbetween slowly clutters the surface again!
  • skeeter93
    skeeter93 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    I usually find mine in the compost bin...................:D In fact its happened so many times, its now my 'go to place' when I start the search:p

Yes, many a vegie knife has ended up in our bin... in fact, we think that's where most of the cake forks went, and the good teaspoons!
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So fortified with the last of the hot cross buns it's back to the kondoing of sheds:) Lovely sunny day again and a steady stream of freeglers expected.My aim for the end of the day will to have gone through every shed/outhouse and have done the initial kondo discard dance because tomorrow is recycle and wheelie bin collection day - once it's all gone I think I will begin to get that kondo feeling.The plan is then to follow up with a deep kondo at some point but I really must turn attention to house as general house work just piling up in there!!!

So going to enjoy the sun today - pork in cider already in slow cooker for tea:)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 April 2015 at 9:31AM
    Options
    I donm
    skeeter93 wrote: »
    What is this periodic clean under appliances? :eek: After having a lot of home opens etc, I too am a fan of the clear surfaces that can just be wiped quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't come naturally to us, so the week inbetween slowly clutters the surface again!
    :) My local authority landlord sends a gas engineer out once a year to check everything, including my gas stove. They have it away from the wall to check the bayonet and that it's chained. So they would see the floor............... so just before that's due, I have the stove out.

I had a new washer in Jan this year, so the floor was cleaned under and behind before the new one went in. I'm overdue for having the fridge out but will probably do that this year, has been about 3 years. Gawd knows what's festering under there.

I'm not an OCD cleaner by a long shot, just have a tiny kitchen opening off a tiny living room, so it's all a bit in yer face.

Won't be doing any chores as won't be home until bedtime tonight, so will be unpacking and getting ready for the new work-week. Will aim to get a bag of Stuff to the chazzer on Friday, though, have a few things pre-selected to leave.

I don't have a garage but I do have an allotment shed whose contents changes seasonally, so I like to have everything out of there once a year, to the great disgust of the s p i d e r s. I do it on a summer's day between the things in cocoons leaving the shed and the arachnids reaching maximum scariness, sizewize. I find I have a brainf*rt if I try to sort such a small space out from inside it, it doesn't work for me. Does make the shed look like it's barfed over the lottie, though.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Parisian
    Parisian Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Up and back to it after a break yesterday.
    A big pile of stuff to go to the tip and the charity shop tomorrow collecting by the door. Happy days :)

What is everyone doing with their old electronics? This is the category I am dreading most. I have an old desktop, an old Sony laptop that doesn't switch on now, loads of old mobile phones, iPod speakers....
    Any tips would be much appreciated!
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Parisian wrote: »
    Good morning all!
    A big pile of stuff to go to the tip and the charity shop tomorrow collecting by the door. Happy days :)

What is everyone doing with their old electronics? This is the category I am dreading most. I have an old desktop, an old Sony laptop that doesn't switch on now, loads of old mobile phones, iPod speakers....

We have got rid of stuff on fr** cycle even old obsolete stuff. Things that haven't attracted interest have been taken to recycle centre. Large box going tomorrow!
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Parisian wrote: »
    Good morning all!

:) I had an old non-working printer which I advertised on Freegle as a non-working printer, complete with dri ver disk, manual, cables and people were after it like crazy. I gave it away easily.

If you go on your local council's website and check what is collected at the nearest tip, you may find that they have an electronics section, most do. Some old mobiles may have cash value, I'm sure there's something about it on the MSE site somewhere. I have seen mobile collecting points alongside ink cartridge collection inside charity shops, there's one near me but it's a local chain not a national one. If you are buying a new replacement electronic item, I think there's something about the WEEE regulations that means that they have to offer to take the old one in - not 100% sure of the details as I buy new things about every 10-20 years.

BHF sometimes have collection drives for this kind of stuff, dead or alive, if memory serves. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Igamogam
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    . Does make the shed look like it's barfed over the lottie, though.
    Shed barfing ..........that is exactly what has happened here:D
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oxfam shops will take old mobile phones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport