PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Happy Easter

g6zmnAUm.jpg
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We went shopping to Swindon outlet village yesterday - a trip we make about once a year, I suppose and which usually involves several £00 of spending and a very full carboot of bags on the way home. I went specifically to look for some shoes & underwear for me and some jeans for OH. I bought myself 2 pairs of shoes (and one old pair will be leaving here later (after I've dug over a patch of garden in them) in exchange) Levis outlet didn't have his size in jeans :(. Other purchases were a tshirt for DS1, 2 tshirts for DD (Superdry outlet - bargain prices and needed purchases after their wardrobe revamps), some Lindt chocolate (already half consumed!) and 4 things from B0dysh0p for specific presents (2 for next month, 2 for xmas) Other than that we bought lunch out and that was it. I looked at lots of other things but nothing grabbed me enough to want to bring it home :D There were plenty of things which I *could* have bought - but I chose to leave them there.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • june89
    june89 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and give a quick example of how the KonMari method worked for me. I asked DH to go through his ties (he had about a dozen, and only wears them for special occasions) and get rid of the ones he didn't like. When he glanced at the rack in the wardrobe, he only pulled out one to get rid of. I pulled the rack out and laid all the ties on the bed so he could see them properly. As a result, he could see he had a lot that were quite similar so only kept four! Progress! :j

Next on my list to tackle is the kitchen. I know Marie says to go by category not by room but I've always been very good at keeping categories of things together. So the kitchen only has cooking/eating related things in it, and there aren't any of those bits lurking elsewhere in the house.
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The alphabet thread are looking for an X to participate in their 50th round - it is a special one and even Martin has posted claiming the M spot:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...81314&page=197
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Ok, i admit, i dont follow the Kon Marie method though i feel that i am probably more minimalistic than that but certain aspects i can fit in with the Kon Marie method quite easily.

Ive gone through the house with a fine tooth comb for things we no longer like/want/need. This morning i spent going through paperwork when i came across a folder where i keep all our important documents, birth certificates, medical cards etc when i came across a small envelope.

Inside this envelope contains a number of name tags that was on my first daughters ankles and wrists after she was born. There was the wrist band that i had to wear when i was admitted to hospital several days before due to a complication. Also i kept the tag that was tied to her cot after she was born. The birth certificate i still have and a few treasured photos.

Now the problem i have. I dont know why, but the name tags dont fill me with joy when i see them. They remind me of illness and death. She died a few weeks after birth. Now her birth certificate and name tag on the cot makes me smile. They fill me with joy when i see them. The name tags and photos dont. Now i wouldnt dream of getting rid of the photos but as for the name tags.... i'm not so sure.

What do you think KonMarie would say?

Welcome to all the new Konverts! Obviously, Easter is the time for Spring Cleaning! ;)

Emotional Items

I have all my children's hospital wrist tags. I don't look at them often, but they make me smile as they represent a large, happy chunk of my life.

I also have my first son's tag, birth certificate, a card I was given by a friend and the jacket I knitted for him. He was adopted, 50 years ago, in the 'bad old days'. The pain endures.

I have heard nothing of him, since I was coerced into giving him up. So, his tag is important, because it touched his skin.

I keep a few sentimental items that make me sad. I carefully store them away, because we, other people and circumstances, in most cases, can change in the future.
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How can such a tiny shed hold sooooo much? Taken me nearly 3 hours just to empty it and move a draw unit to sit across the back of the shed. Good job I dont mind spiders....there have been some humongous ones:eek: A large pile of stuff for recycling an another for fr**gle. Not much in bin yet :( I am hoping to store stuff I want to sell in it for now and then plan is to paint it inside and out and it will be my 'sanctuary' because its in a lovely sun trap. I inherited the shed and its contents from someone who struggled to throw stuff away.............although almost all of the original contents has now gone
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IQUEEN
    what a bittersweet story thank you for sharing with us.

One of my unmarried cousins was persuaded to give up her baby in the 1950s
    I was only a young child but remember the sadness on her face for a long time. It was spoken about out of my earshot sent out for messages when she visited is. I reckon she would have been around 18 at the time.
    I watched the film Philomena recently and blubbed all the way though it
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I've achieved what I'd never have thought possible! After talking to dh he's agreed to sit tomorrow and Konmarie his wardrobe and drawers! I am amazed :j
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    caitybabes wrote: »
    Dolly and Polly (!) I had two fairly full filing cabinet drawers and I ended up with 12cm stack. I was really stuck with how to organise it as there's no point having a hanging file labeled 'insurance' if all the insurance documents can fit in a plastic wallet!

I split the paperwork into the following piles:
    1. My personal documents (any certificates, passport, job contract, immunisation records, P60s, P45s etc)
    2. Hubby's personal documents
    3. Paperwork which is currently relevant (insurance, latest water bill, latest council tax letter, current mortgage info, etc)
    4. Wills
    5. Car number 1 (kept all service and MOT history, wasn't particularly ruthless here)
    6. Car number 2
    7. House purchase papers, correspondence and deeds, etc.

Papers for the first 3 categories are in plastic wallets grouped by similar papers, held together in their category by treasury tags. The rest are in plastic popper envelope folders as the info does not need to be accessed easily on a regular basis.

It all fits in the bottom drawer of our beautiful bureau which I am thrilled to be using for all stationery and paper goods, including notebooks.
    Caitybabes, thank you very much for this - it's helped me to focus my thoughts a bit more. Quite a lot of what I need to store doesn't actually need to be accessed on a regular basis - e.g. pension plans, I just need to file the latest statement once a year. They could go in box files on a high shelf. The filing cabinet, if I'm honest, has never worked too well - it's hard to see what's in the back and I don't find it easy to file things. Perhaps its time for a change!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all
    Iqueen thank you for sharing such a personal and emotional part of your life with us.

The dinner guests have all gone now taking choccy with them.
    I did buy a new frying pan this morning and my old one has been binned so I remain neutral
    No kondoing done today with family round but still lots to do.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport