12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tata.. I did the clothes sort last weekend.. I have apparently lost a dress in the process but I now have a whole drawer of clothes which fit.. all summer stuff so I'm blooming freezing! I refuse to buy more for the last 10 weeks of my last pregnancy. So long as any swelling goes down overnight it is fine!

If you have a crib you can use until around 6 months I wouldnt bother buying a cot until you need it.. it will just gather dust and dust mites standing there.

I think I'm giving up on buying a pushchair because I cant afford the only one that would do so I will just battle the one I have and replace the smaller one once the baby arrives ready for when it is a bit bigger.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    That's quite a good point about not needing a cot straight away, I had been thinking thar although it wouldn't be sleeping in there in the evening I may still use it during the day etc, but maybe I'll not get it to start with and will see how it goes.
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm planning to use a cot straight away. We have two levels so downstairs I'll have Moses basket and don't want to be going up and down the stairs all day. It will be right beside our bed but I didn't want to have to buy mini cot or anything as the one from IKEA that I want goes into toddler bed. Mum gave us the Moses basket so it's not costing us anything.

My friend gave me some of her bigger clothes as she's lost weight so I've got quite a wardrobe. means I don't have to bother with maternity clothes now which is nice.
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • pigpen
    Options
    we bring the basket down in the morning and take it up at bed time.. thats it.. I have cotbeds too.. good job with these giraffe babies OH creates!

I need to find the sensor mat for the baby monitor and order a new power lead.. mine has split and has exposed wires. My to-do list is growing faster than I can work my way through it!
  • ThinkPink
    Options
    I was planning on getting a crib, so I guess I need to think what baby will sleep in downstairs. I guess if the pushchair has a carrycot they can sleep in that when we are downstairs.
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might work to take a Moses basket up and down, just our stairs are bendy and I don't fancy doing that everyday. Think pink, I think you'd need to check that the carrycot bit is suitable for napping as I know some aren't

Oh baby monitor, that's another thing I need to get. I've started buying one packet of wipes/nappies each week. Least that way I'll be half done.
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • pigpen
    Options
    tatabubbly wrote: »
    It might work to take a Moses basket up and down, just our stairs are bendy and I don't fancy doing that everyday. Think pink, I think you'd need to check that the carrycot bit is suitable for napping as I know some aren't

Oh baby monitor, that's another thing I need to get. I've started buying one packet of wipes/nappies each week. Least that way I'll be half done.

I've bought 1 pack of nappies and that is all i am getting.. my 7lb 2 child went straight into size 2 nappies.. the shops arent going to disappear and one pack will last 3-4 days and i am not burying my house in them. I have got a few sleepsuits in the next couple of sizes up to 3-6m.. anything else can wait.

So long as you dont carry the baby in a soft moses basket it is fine.. my dil dropped her tiny newborn boy down their stairs carrying him in the basket.. basket in one hand, baby in the other!.. my OH takes ours up and down the stairs I struggle enough moving myself!
  • ThinkPink
    Options
    I currently have a couple of pushchairs I'm looking at, but there isn't much info on the carrycot, I thought they would have been ok for an hour or 2 as surely sometimes when you are out they are in it longer than that, but is that not the case?

If so maybe I'll have to go for a pushchair with no carrycot and will use the money saved to get a moses basket for downstairs.
  • pigpen
    Options
    usually if the carrycot has a proper mattress they are ok to sleep in them.. some are just the laid down seat unit so not suitable.

If you will be trotting about with the carrycot outside a lot then get it and dont bother with a basket.. I rarely use the pushchair so the basket was a good buy for us but that doesnt mean it is for everyone. OH just carries the tinies when we go out. I think my 5 year old went in a pushchair a dozen times.. she hated it, by 16 months she just walked with us.. and my 4 year old rarely went in it either after she could walk.. before that she was just carried by OH. the 2 year old loves the pushchair and doesnt want to walk until we are nearly home and she can see the house.. she is the reason I am looking at tandems but she is just too big for them all!
  • ThinkPink
    edited 19 March 2016 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Thanks pigpen. One of the pushchairs I am looking at has a separate carry cot for newborn to 6 months then the seat unit is suitable from 6 months, so I guess providing I make sure I get a decent mattress I can use that indoors for naps too. If I get a pushchair with just a seat unit I will look into getting a moses basket for downstairs, I've seen some very reasonably priced ones.

It's a case I guess of working out what fits in with us/ our relatively small house and then hoping baby is ok with our choices!

At the moment I drive most places due to time etc but im hoping when I'm on maternity leave I will be able to do a lot more walking!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback