Has Martin changed your life?!!

Replies

• teedy23teedy23 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think he did, but he certainly made a huge difference when my life was changed and I didnt know how I was going to cope. I feel more in control, and more confident about my finances than ever before. So thanks to Martin and all the posters on various threads for their help and advice, and just for swapping stories and experiance xxxx
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • McSaverMcSaver Forumite
    609 Posts
    I was already a money saver by nature, but this site helped me get a much better savings account than ING Direct. A Better current account than HSBC. and also helped me how ISAs work so I am earning a fraction more interest on my savings...
    :beer: Cheers Martin :beer:
    Had £80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    :A Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner :A
  • ..I've cut my food bills by two thirds and I've never eaten so well in my life..

Right, have sorted out most things, mortagage, phone, insurance, utilities, saved energy etc..etc and got the best-ish deals.

However, we still seem to be spending an awful lot..mainly on groceries. Can anyone direct me to the part of the forum that deals with this 'cos I'll be damned if I can find it!
  • Aaahh Martin - that brought tears to my eyes but you must know we all really really appreciate this website - if only to fine that there are others out there who are in the same ( or worse ) boat. It's not nice to put it like that but when you read of some of peoples problems it really does put your own into perspective.
    Waht a great site
  • barrymung wrote: »
    Right, have sorted out most things, mortagage, phone, insurance, utilities, saved energy etc..etc and got the best-ish deals.

However, we still seem to be spending an awful lot..mainly on groceries. Can anyone direct me to the part of the forum that deals with this 'cos I'll be damned if I can find it!

You need the money saving old style thread. Its great, loads of recipes idea for meal plans etc.
    They took my signature away!!!! :confused:
  • barrymungbarrymung Forumite
    638 Posts
    Thanks all..
  • Even on a micro scale he has helped me and my fellow student bums save a lot of money on our normal day to day things. We regularly use his site in collaboration with HUKD to find the latest deals, best information on accounts and I constantly refer friends and family to the website.
    Thanks to Martin for setting this online community up as well, as with out this as well there wouldn't be quite so much information available a few clicks away so thanks to the rest of you guys as well :D I'm sure he couldn't find half as many deals as the people do on here (probably because of all the spare time they have :p )

So well done Martin :)

Ian
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
  • I cant thank Martin, and contributors to this website enough. Initially I used the site to help me reign in the uneccesary spending and to help us start saving again, but it has led to bigger and better things. It has helped me appreciate what really matters in life and make the most of the best things in life - which are more than often free. It has helped me become more aware of my environment and the impact I have on it, and becoming "greener" has also saved me loads of money. Its had a big impact on my kids too - they are no longer all "want want want" but they have money saving etched onto their brain - which I think is great. It has made me completely rethink the way I live my life and also the way I think (if that makes sense!). I am much more enthusiastic about life and am much happier than when I used to "spend". Im seriously thinking about gearing up to survive on one wage for a year (from January) and saving my salary for a year. Its something I would have thought impossible before, but we did it when the kids were little and I think will be achievable with a great deal of belt tightening, planning, budgeting and most of all FUN. Our aim when we first joined this site was to spend half as much money, but have twice the fun - and we more than achieved this (our entertainment budget is now practically zero but we go out way more than we ever before by using the freebies site and our imagination). So I'm thinking we should live and eat better next year- but only on one wage.
  • Hi Tru,
    New to the board and it sounds like I could do with some of the pearls of wisdem you have got via the site. I am madly trying to read back through old posts but there are so many it is taking me so long and also I keep flicking back to the new posts incase I am missing something.

Mind you I have to admit I have already saved by reading things Martin and all you wonderfull posters have written. Keep up the good work folks and I will keep reading and hopefully learning.

Regards from New but very willing to learn.
  • jamtart6jamtart6 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    I've been brought up to be careful with money and LOVE a good bargain! But the one thing I'm really glad of, is that I found this site aged 21, before moving out of home, before realising the big wide world costs lots of money and seeing first hand the experiences of some who haven't had this realisation BEFORE they have a chance to PREVENT debt/bad judgements etc whatever the reason for their debt is. Thats what will change my life the most, having the knowledge to prevent debt, or if not prevent, definatley know how to handle it, and more importantly where to go for support! :T Martin!!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals