A new debt free journey

Options

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today hasn't been a good day so far! Got kept awake my some antisocial behaviour outside which escalated to a fight, my car wing mirror got damaged and a kid pulled a knife so there were police everywhere... My bf was going to go outside and in hindsight I'm so glad he didn't or he could've been hurt. I see the kids responsible all the time and thought they were pretty harmless so it's quite sobering to think they could've had knives on them all this time and been so close to my house. All I can say is I'm glad I'm moving!! Am super tired so caved in and bought myself an energy drink, which I know is terrible but ugh!

Am also having a 'civilised' disagreement with one of my employees who I'm responsible for. They've been taking the mickey trying to claim for travel time to work and won't accept that you can't do that! :mad: Goodness if I got to claim travel time I'd only have to work about 4-5 hours a day :rotfl: Perhaps I should try ;) just don't understand why it appears to be so hard to comprehend.

Aaaaah anyway, it's the end of the week, looking forward to an early finish from work today and an early night I must say!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,073.28 as of 05/24
    Pay off credit card by December 2024 - £0/£2,000
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Ha - I wish I could claim travel time. I'd be rich!
    Bit scary about all that stuff outside your place though. I was in Russell Square with the kids on Wednesday night about 2 hours before the stabbing happened. Certainly makes you think.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Ha - I wish I could claim travel time. I'd be rich!
    Bit scary about all that stuff outside your place though. I was in Russell Square with the kids on Wednesday night about 2 hours before the stabbing happened. Certainly makes you think.

Tell me about it CCL, really males you think. I don't even live in an area 'known' for knife crime, yes it's a town centre but on the outskirts of Surrey. I work in an area with a lot of knife crime and work with kids who have carried knives or been stabbed, and it never fails to scare me when I think about how 'natural' it is to some of these kids to have a knife on them. Very sad.

Today has been a good day, did parkrun and knocked another 2 minutes off last week's time. A new personal best! I've also had a horse riding lesson which went really well, am getting more confident in my cantering. So that was £40 spent, it certainly isn't a cheap hobby! No other spends though. I also started taking some shelves and pictures down and filling the holes. So boring but needs to be done before we move.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Spent yesterday volunteering and was completely shattered. A personal NSD but £27 spent in Tesco on necessities. Really needed a lie in this morning but the builders next door turned up not long after 7am to wake me up. Cannot WAIT to move.

I went to paint over some of the fillered holes where my pictures had been in the hallway, and the tester pots not the right colour. I think I got melon sorbet mixed up with lime sorbet, and when I checked the website they don't even make melon sorbet anymore!! So I'm in a bit of a pickle, not sure what the general etiquette is when selling a house. The person buying my place is a buy to let investor so might just paint everywhere anyway. I certainly don't wanna have to repaint the hallway so it's all one colour again just to move out within weeks of doing so. Anyone have any ideas of what generally happens in these situations?!
  • lcc86
    Options
    PAD's made to my very account and my savings pot. Also put £50 towards course fees - I have £200 left to pay on submission for my professional qualification and have £150 towards that now.

Been thinking about things I want to do when I move and am debt free. First is booking another horse riding holiday :eek: Not until next year but I definitely want to go again when my riding is better! I also need to apply for my Irish passport as well, and get a tattoo fixed which I've wanted to change for a loooong time. All good motivation to clear what's left of my debt once the house sale goes through!
  • lcc86
    Options
    Spent just over £3 in coop yesterday on cereal and apples which I'd forgotten to buy on Sunday. Also spent £28 on petrol. I tried to get to £30 as I like nice round numbers but my tank just wasn't quite big enough!

Have ordered fake tan this morning, £11 including postage. Buying online is MUCH cheaper than high street stores.

I sold one thing on ebay for £1, the buyer for my dvds never paid so I relisted. Nothing else has sold and the listings have ended so I'll just take it all to the charity shop. It was a long shot anyway.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Been a quiet couple of days. No spends - until this morning. A coffee table I've had my eye on online had £50 off. I was going to buy it when we moved, but decided to take advantage. Added it to my very account which I'm overpaying this month and which will be the sole focus of my debt after moving. I have a few things on there which I'm watching, so if they get reduced and I can fit them in at home prior to the move, I'll get them. If not I'll just wait until after we move. I only buy stuff on there which I 'need' for the new house, nothing else. Although I guess we can all justify things as 'needs' rather than 'wants' so I have to keep an eye on myself!

I also sold one other item at the last minute on ebay. £10 made. Not much but I just wanted to get rid of stuff more than make money, so I've achieved the goal I set out for!

I got my insurance renewal through yesterday and it was £120 less than the cheapest I'd found online. I've renewed with the same company, although will have to pay monthly and cost myself a little money in interest. I contemplated putting it on my credit card, but I know that whenever I've done that historically, I haven't paid it off within the year and it's just become a drawn out saga. At least if I do it via dd, it will get paid! I still don't trust myself 100% with money! Case in point - the coffee table I just bought!! Lol.

The searches have all come back okay for my new house so should be able to get a moving date soon! Exciting!
  • lcc86
    Options
    Posted both my sold items from ebay, relisted one unsold item and will take everything else to the charity shop tomorrow.

Was going to do parkrun tomorrow but think I've pulled a muscle in my quad so will give it a miss. Plus I have riding tomorrow and need to go as I'll be charged if I cancel on the day so need to rest up.

Have bought some shopping today and some cardboard boxes, £18 and £14 spent respectively. Have had confirmation that the lease on the new place has been extended so it shouldn't take too long now to get a date! :eek:

Got a letter from Lloyds and have been charged £6 overdraft fee. I always use this account for shopping and then if it goes over I transfer the funds as I check my account every morning. They also used to allow until 3pm as a "grace" period and I know I've never transferred funds later than 9am so I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Either way I'm going to have to transfer money now before I buy stuff, which is awkward for shopping as you never know exactly what you'll spend! Ah well, lesson learned!

This weekend I'm going to do some studying, go riding, and hopefully go for a run on Sunday if the leg's better.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Had a really decent sleep last night, which is all the better as I had to call the police on some kids who were going through bins and throwing stuff from the bins at people's cars... No matter how hard I try I can't imagine what motivates these kids to behave like that! It's about the fifth time I've had to report this kind of nonsense this week. I cannot WAIT to move!!!

Have sent £2 to my very account this morning and some pennies to another account. I'd saved £100 towards my car insurance but now the quote has come through I don't need it as the first instalment is £39 which I can easily cover from September's salary. So I've put that towards my Irish citizenship instead. I was thinking about doing that prior to Brexit and made my mind up after Brexit that I'd definitely do it. My UK passport has run out anyway so I might as well apply. My dad's an Irish citizen so I have to register on the foreign births register (£231) and then apply for the passport. I don't have any plans to go abroad any time soon but I'd rather get saving now so it's sorted whenever I do decide to go abroad.

Right, today I'm going to pick up a parcel from the post office, drop some stuff off at the charity shop, buy a few bits for the pigs, do some studying, wash some clothes, clean the house and then go riding. I'm going to pop to a tack shop on the way as I need a new riding helmet, mine doesn't meet the new safety standards so I can never use it. I'm going to use my birthday money for that, I don't want to spend too much either - in my eyes a hat is a hat, I don't need anything fancy! :D
  • lcc86
    Options
    Well all jobs done with the exception of cleaning the house. Perhaps I'll try this tomorrow hehe. Riding was good. The prices in the tack shop were astronomical - think £100 plus for a helmet. If I was into competition I would consider it but at my level it's just not necessary. I hunted round online and found one which meets the standards and was on sale. I also used some of my PayPal balance from ebay sales towards it so in the end I've paid £12 which is fab.

Going to chill with a glass of wine this evening, have an early night and go for a run tomorrow morning.

Something to note, the food budget isn't looking great this month already. I spent £15 in sainsbobs this evening and it leaves me with £25 for the month. Luckily I should underspend in the petrol department so I can make it up there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family