Yorkshire & Clydesdale Banks offering £150 for switching

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Opening a second account yesterday - referred to underwriters! Odd, given the fact that the original account was opened without any such referral. Apparently, it's a random check, though I rather doubt that it's random.

Never encountered this before in many years of banking - what was the outcome for anyone else similarly referred? ID to local branch?
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    YB referred me. Had to chase after a week, but OK'd then. No ID at branch.
  • nearlyretired2004
    Options
    I got referred first time in opening circa 40 accounts over last few years ....

Got told the underwriters 'couldnt verify my phone number' (!!!!) and could I provide something with my phone number and address on it!!

In these paperless days - you find something!! Even my phone bill with my provider has my address, but references me by customer number, not phone number.....

In the end I got my provider (Plusnet) to send an email stating my number and the billing address

They accepted that....a/c opened
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    These underwriter referrals are bizarre. I've never, ever encountered it, and my guess is that most of the people on this thread who've been referred haven't either.

How can it make any sense to refer an existing customer (me)? There's a healthy balance, no unusual transactions, we've lived at the same address for many years, with the same phone number.

I find YB incomprehensible. :o
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    These underwriter referrals are bizarre. I've never, ever encountered it, and my guess is that most of the people on this thread who've been referred haven't either.

How can it make any sense to refer an existing customer (me)? There's a healthy balance, no unusual transactions, we've lived at the same address for many years, with the same phone number.

I find YB incomprehensible. :o

I phoned up and the adviser simply said he must refer to the underwriters before going through the application because he needs to 'if you want that many accounts' where 'that many' was more than 3! Phoned up again and the next adviser said 'we don't need to credit check you as you are an existing customer' and opened (well sent out the paperwork for) 2 Readycash accounts on the spot after confirming my details were all up-to-date. Phoned up again a week later and went through an application and this time they submitted it for a decision and it got referred. It's all extremely random and bizarre!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    It's all extremely random and bizarre!
    I haven't had any referrals (yet!), but I'd be prepared to put up with some for the sums of money involved. :D
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    I too got referred when I tried to apply for two more accounts (having already opened 2). Got a phone call the next morning saying both had been accepted.

Very oddly, I received the paperwork yesterday for one of the accounts, and they're opening me a Current Account Direct, when I already have a Direct account and I was under the impression you could only have one? I asked to open two Plus accounts so I've no idea what's going on.

Need to decide whether it's best to phone them and sort it, or just sign the paperwork and see what happens.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't had any referrals (yet!), but I'd be prepared to put up with some for the sums of money involved. :D

You wouldn't. They hardly ever get back to you on a referred application in my experience.

Care to share how many accounts you've managed to get open without been referred? Also are they all open at the same time?
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    You wouldn't. They hardly ever get back to you on a referred application in my experience.

Care to share how many accounts you've managed to get open without been referred? Also are they all open at the same time?
    Not YorkshireBoy, but:

- I got referred for two applications (at the same time), got a phone call the next morning saying I was accepted.

- I've opened 2 without being referred, and another 2 were referred and accepted.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Already had a Direct
    Opened 8 more
    9 still open
    3 paid out
    3 more should pay out this coming week
    2 more should pay out in around 3 weeks
    Going for 2 more (but the donors aren't ready yet), and these will be applied for at the branch which holds my only genuine long-held account (the Direct mentioned above). I've deliberately left these until last, to minimise any possible chance of rejection/refusal/referral.

I have been a customer for 35 years though, so maybe that's why I haven't been referred (yet!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure