MSE News: Petrol prices to fall again at three major supermarkets

in Motoring
64 replies 6.1K views

Replies

• Trebor16Trebor16 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    agarnett wrote: »
    So they are still clinging for another day at the old price even though they know enough about the wholesale price to announce the drop again in delayed-action style advance (like it was some kind of promotion)

So if a petrol retailer takes delivery of a few thousand litres of fuel and pays a certain price, and the price drops after they have taken delivery, you expect them to drop their prices immediately?
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • Trebor16 wrote: »
    So if a petrol retailer takes delivery of a few thousand litres of fuel and pays a certain price, and the price drops after they have taken delivery, you expect them to drop their prices immediately?

Many other industries would. Cars, gold, err...
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many other industries would. Cars, gold, err...

Not as a matter of routine.

• Trebor16 wrote: »
    Not as a matter of routine.

Every bought precious metals from the jewellery quarter in Brum?
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Trebor16, what is your purpose in this thread? Are you a junior playing at being educated and wise, or have you some other agenda?

Show me where in the 10 years of ERM II, the Danish Krone has deviated from within the 1% range I indicated. No don't bother - its a diversion to this thread.

15% is an ERM II limit for all those countries who signed up for it. But believe it or not, within its economic commitments by international treaty a country can choose its own economic destiny on such things, and the Danish Government chooses the range of their DKK/EUR variations because it chooses to stabilise its own economy by essentially pegging it. Other governments like UK and Sweden who clearly still use their own currency but are in EU choose to stabilise their economies by pegging their economy via other devices. Your comprehension is not good and your broad ideas on international economics need some work too.

Think big picture, not bits of it.

And your comprehension of when you should use a BBC tourist rate as a valid cost of living comparison, and when not to use it, are a bit mixed up I think.

I am not suggesting anyone drives all the way to Europe to buy fuel. I would however suggest that you drive all the way to Europe to get out and have a decent holiday. That's when your BBC tourist rate would be a more useful tool to compare the cost of eating out in Blackpool as a holiday destination for a Brit compared to the cost of eating out in Copenhagen as a tourist destination. It still wouldn't apply to me because I pay everything using Mastercard daily exchange rates.

You are, perhaps inadvertently (I don't know if you want to learn or if you already know it all) suggesting readers need to use the BBC tourist rate in order to make comparisons between the international fuel prices that residents of one country generally pay in comparison to residents of another country.

And I am sorry, but you really are showing a lack of moneysaving nouse when you try to tell me:

"You fail to mention the small print in the from the MasterCard site -"The displayed rates are derived from the buy and sell rates included in the MasterCard daily rate setting process and do not include any charges or markups applied by the Issuer."

Why would I even want to mention that small print? Again we are not discussing the exchange rate that many poor sheeplike tourists who have no idea about the difference between using Metrobank or Halifax Clarity cards abroad and other providers' lesser offerings.

We are just talking about a true international exchange rate for economic comparison discussion purposes, not for dumber tourist purposes.

Because like many MSE'ers I am not a dumber tourist, I never get any FOREX rate less attractive than the daily or sometime more frequently moving Mastercard rate I took the trouble to show you.

You do want us to know you have a different opinion, and that's fine, but your opinion is clearly founded on mistakes and failed comprehension and so many readers here can see it.

But by closing your mind to your own mistakes and lashing out at me, you are I think spoiling the thread which is one of those that usually last only a day or two following an Asda press release, but which we succesfully turned into something useful to pressure fuel retailers into lowering their prices to keep pace with daily wholesale price drops.

You do understand I hope?
  • colinocolino Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only in the UK, where no matter what the price of fuel, motorists are still addicted to it, do you have an argument apparently justifying the slow speed of retailers reducing their prices!
    Supermarkets sell more than half of the stuff in the UK, like the rest of the industry they don't sit on huge wells of the stuff, they normally get daily, at least, deliveries. No one cuts finer deals than supermarkets and the energy companies and while there are certain relatively fixed costs, the rest, including taxation, is on a percentage of volume.
    Keep on arguing about the wonderful generosity of fuel retailers, but which other area of consumer purchase has had its core ingredient more than halved in price, yet MSE trumpets a fanfare when literally pennies are skimmed off the consumer cost?
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every bought precious metals from the jewellery quarter in Brum?

No I haven't.

3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    agarnett wrote: »
    Trebor16, what is your purpose in this thread? Are you a junior playing at being educated and wise, or have you some other agenda?

There you go again with another ad hominem attack.
    agarnett wrote:
    Show me where in the 10 years of ERM II, the Danish Krone has deviated from within the 1% range I indicated. No don't bother - its a diversion to this thread.

Why ask the question then?
    agarnett wrote:
    15% is an ERM II limit for all those countries who signed up for it. But believe it or not, within its economic commitments by international treaty a country can choose its own economic destiny on such things, and the Danish Government chooses the range of their DKK/EUR variations because it chooses to stabilise its own economy by essentially pegging it. Other governments like UK and Sweden who clearly still use their own currency but are in EU choose to stabilise their economies by pegging their economy via other devices. Your comprehension is not good and your broad ideas on international economics need some work too.

Think big picture, not bits of it.

You said earlier " It is not allowed to float freely except within a tiny insignificant range (maybe 1%". You got that totally wrong. Simples.
    agarnett wrote:
    And your comprehension of when you should use a BBC tourist rate as a valid cost of living comparison, and when not to use it, are a bit mixed up I think.

Not at all, I saw the rate on the BBC site and used it. It showed up discrepancies with your figures.
    agarnett wrote:
    I am not suggesting anyone drives all the way (cut lots of rambling to spare the readers)
    You are, perhaps inadvertently (I don't know if you want to learn or if you already know it all) suggesting readers need to use the BBC tourist rate in order to make comparisons between the international fuel prices that residents of one country generally pay in comparison to residents of another country.

I made no such suggestion. It doesn't become you to try and put words in my mouth.
    agarnett wrote:
    And I am sorry, but you really are showing a lack of moneysaving nouse when you try to tell me:

"You fail to mention the small print in the from the MasterCard site -"The displayed rates are derived from the buy and sell rates included in the MasterCard daily rate setting process and do not include any charges or markups applied by the Issuer."

Why would I even want to mention that small print? Again we are not discussing the exchange rate that many poor sheeplike tourists who have no idea about the difference between using Metrobank or Halifax Clarity cards abroad and other providers' lesser offerings.

If you can't comprehend the importance of the small print then you are not as clever as you like to think you are. Charges by the card providers can and will impact on the rate of exchange people will get.
    agarnett wrote:
    more rambling and "look at me and how clever I am cut
    agarnett wrote:
    You do want us to know you have a different opinion, and that's fine, but your opinion is clearly founded on mistakes and failed comprehension and so many readers here can see it.

I think most people see a poster who at the first sign of being challenged starts to make personal comments and remarks in an attempt to deflect attention away from their own errors.
    agarnett wrote:
    But by closing your mind to your own mistakes and lashing out at me, you are I think spoiling the thread which is one of those that usually last only a day or two following an Asda press release, but which we succesfully turned into something useful to pressure fuel retailers into lowering their prices to keep pace with daily wholesale price drops.

You do understand I hope?

The only person I see lashing out is you, with your numerous personal comments, accusations of "thread spoiler" etc. If you want to see the person who is spoiling the thread I suggest you look in a mirror.

You don't like being challenged so you have gone down the road of trying to belittle another poster. All that has done is to undermine you and show you up for the person you really are.

• gikgik
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    agarnett by name and by nature. Judging by your words in this thread you really do have an attitude problem.
  • edited 14 December 2014 at 3:10AM
    reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 December 2014 at 3:10AM
    British retailers certainly have plenty more space to drop prices.

I used to reckon that diesel was 8 to 16 pence a litre cheaper in France than here.

Now it's as much as 35 pence between cheapest there and cheapest here.

And it will probably go under a euro per litre fairly soon, so we should be looking at about a quid here.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides