Replies

• edited 6 December 2014 at 3:45PM
    reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2014 at 3:45PM
    agarnett wrote: »
    Have you got the 95 octane unleaded prices for comparison please redux?

€ 1.179 (1.146 tomorrow) in L, 1.385 F, 1.282 B

carbu.vroom.be/index.php/stations-service

covers those 3 countries

I did searches at Outreau, Dreux, Luxembourg and Wommelgem, which seem to be cheap areas (well, all of Luxembourg is; there is a regulated maximum price).

Mind you, the current couple of cheapest ones at Wommelgem (Antwerp) are a bit too far off the motorway, but the best ones within a 300/400 yards of the junction are only a cent or so more.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    redux wrote: »

Thanks again redux!

Despite claiming to be slap bang up to the date, it looks like parts of those tables may not have kept pace with actual drops in the countries concerned.

Else I am not in a representative area at the moment just outside a city of about the same size as Cambridge ! Cambrideg is not known for cheap fuel as far as I know! (Norwich is better!)

Those reported Denmark averages are higher than the ones I filled up on before I returned to UK nearly 2 months ago!

Frankly, I have to say the Denmark averages quoted are simply wrong. Sometimes makes you wonder who is behind some of the tables!
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Down another penny in Denmark tonight (those last two tables, redux, are indeed unfortunately suspect - they say they are latest current day prices but it seems very unlikely they all are). On the other hand the first link you gave us, carbu.vroom.be/index.php/stations-service, looks good.

And in UK - do we get another token 2p in two weeks time while the retailers cash in big time on the ridiculous margin over wholesale ?
  • tripledtripled Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Filled the car up in Calais (Intermarche) for 92ppl (diesel) on Saturday. Would have been less but I forgot to take my Clarity card (d'oh).
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and for those that have followed my recent reports, diesel and petrol now down yet another penny tonight here too to 92ppl and I think £1.08 (not UK of course, and by no mean's Europe's cheapest either!).

But I think that's three drops totalling 3p per litre in just four nights (yes four nights not a fortnight!)

Why-o-why will UK retailers not react daily to the wholesale market drops?
  • It's nice to see that supermarkets aren't yo-yoing prices for a change. Getting back to the days of sub £1 a litre would be really nice but doubt that would happen tbh.

I wonder though whether the recent price falls have had any impact on electric vehicle sales...
  • Trebor16Trebor16 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The price of diesel I just bought in Europe (not France) has been falling continuously and dropped today to the equivalent of 95p per litre at the local what until recently was branded as a Jet Station.

95 octane unleaded was the equivalent of £1.10 and 92 octane a little cheaper.

Where is the continuous fall in the UK?

What does it imply about our government and fuel retailers if there has been no continuous fall, just token 2p drops once a month or less?

Sensible answers please.

The only way to compare pump prices in Europe with those in the UK is to strip out the tax and duty rates and then compare the actual cost of the fuel. Diesel has been subject to a much lower rate of duty across Europe for a long time.

Another factor to take into account is the strength of the pound in the last couple of years against the Euro.

Prices in the UK have fallen without a doubt. At the beginning of the year I was paying £1.369 per litre for diesel and today my local petrol station is selling diesel at £1.197. Unleaded was £1.289 at the start of the year and is now down to £1.147, so a 17p a litre fall in the price of diesel and 14p per litre for unleaded.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • Trebor16Trebor16 Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah right ... a tentative crawl downhill with the brakes holding everything back that the petrol retailers hold dear, eh?

Actually here in Europe I see it has dropped yet again last night - 94p for diesel and 1.09 for 95 octane unleaded.

I am talking about one of the reputedly highest taxed countries in the world (except when you look at what they get back for their tax) - Denmark.

So you are saying diesel in Denmark is 94p a litre and 95 octane unleaded is £1.09 a litre?

According to this link that diesel is 1.29 euros and 95 unleaded is 1.44 euros. In pounds that is £1.02 and £1.14. What is the level of duty in Denmark?

http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.VIjy7k1ybIU

This site lists the prices in Denmark at 1.37 and 1.52 euros for diesel and unleaded or £1.09 and £1.206.

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

I know these are average prices but they are some way off what you have listed.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • edited 11 December 2014 at 2:57PM
    agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 December 2014 at 2:57PM
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    So you are saying diesel in Denmark is 94p a litre and 95 octane unleaded is £1.09 a litre?

According to this link that diesel is 1.29 euros and 95 unleaded is 1.44 euros. In pounds that is £1.02 and £1.14. What is the level of duty in Denmark?

http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.VIjy7k1ybIU

This site lists the prices in Denmark at 1.37 and 1.52 euros for diesel and unleaded or £1.09 and £1.206.

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

I know these are average prices but they are some way off what you have listed.
    Yes you are right. Actually I said 94p then 93p then 92p on diesel didn't I, over a period of just four nights? And the 95 unleaded got down to the equivalent of £1.08 I think I said? (Yes my post #37 - I don't make a point of recording them religiously - I just make a mental note as I pass!)

The figures you have found are indeed some way off the figures on the ground in Denmark. I pointed out that I had made the same conclusion from Europe-wide comparison tables that redux found the other day. However, I do think his
    carbu.vroom.be/index.php/stations-service link is kept up to date, but it is not Europe-wide.

All the other tables I have seen are very very suspect. I can scarcely believe that all the comparison website site-owners have simply failed to update them lately.

Conclusion? Someone is pulling the wool, and it ain't me.

Be careful about how you analyse my reports. I have already explained that Denmark is well known as a high tax country and that (consequently) it's fuel prices are NOT the cheapest in Europe.
    Yet you find my reported pump prices amazingly cheap cf. UK, and cf averages you have seen on the internet. My point exactly.

Clearly the tax on diesel in Denmark is not artificially weighted against diesel car owners as it is in UK, but remember I did make a point of faithfully reporting 95 octane prices.

Have a look at this article comparing fuel duty by country six months ago:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2621307/British-motorists-pay-highest-fuel-taxes-world.html

I have driven up here many times over the years. I have very rarely bought more than enough fuel in Denmark (even diesel) than needed inside Denmark, because it was not much different to UK price. In my experience it was always cheaper to fill up further south. My car can actually go from DK to UK via Calais on one tank but my pattern of fills was generally to arrive at Calais empty both ways, buy as little as possible in UK or DK, and going back to buy enough in northern Germany if I had to, to get to Bremen which seems to be a good fuel price area, buy enough in Bremen to get to Calais empty. Generally I tried to avoid buying in Belgium or Netherlands.

For the past couple of months or more we have had a very unusual situation now with wholesale prices having literally plummeted with no hint of any yo-yo. In Denmark the plummeting has continuously been almost immediately reflected at the pump. In the UK something shady is going on and "Europe wide comparison reports especially those in English, may be equally shady.

The Denmark prices I quoted were the low price where I am (Jet stations here are known generally as the low price pumps a bit like the Asda price in most parts of UK they operate in) but they were accurate and they are not significantly lower than the other brands.

Before I come back to the UK I will try to find time to check the latest for you if you are interested. I may even be able to get readings at as many as half a dozen or more different pump stations for you as I head out of the town. Jet (now rebranded Ingo in Scandinavia) is generally cheapest as I said, but the others don't charge very much different.

If we set aside cynicism, the concept of "average" is of course potentially suspect. It would only mean something if we knew it had been weighted correctly for volumes actually sold at the different prices reported.

A maths lesson for the uninitiated:

If Shell Asda Esso, Jet and Sainsburys all reported their diesel prices from Norwich for example as:
    125.9 123.7, 126.9, 124.5, 124.9 then if we skip the other retailers in Norwich, some of you might be tempted to add them up and divide by 5 and call the average price ~125.4

However if because of the pricing or brand loyalty or MSE repeated Asda press releases or whatever, the actual fuel volumes sold were say 7%, 57%, 3%, 19%, 14% respectively by the brands listed above and assuming the pattern is representative of the whole market in Norwich this week, the correctly weighted average price might more properly be said to be just 124.3.

And that more than full penny difference in the two different types of 'average' is with a fairly narrow spread of prices without the crazy motorway prices that only fully-expensed company car drivers are likely to buy without a care. I wonder which 'average' is used in most of the comparison charts (if indeed the raw data is accurate in the first place!).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides