MSE News: Petrol prices to fall again at three major supermarkets

in Motoring
64 replies 6.1K views

Replies

• boxrickboxrick Forumite
    154 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Absolutely brimmed my tank yesterday. Usual cost would be closer to the £70+ mark. Recent multiple cuts mean it was only £60 to fill it from absolute fumes yesterday.

Will save me at least £60 a month which is always nice.
  • edited 29 November 2014 at 4:20PM
    agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2014 at 4:20PM
    sh0597 wrote: »
    I paid 1.239 for Diesel yesterday which isn't bad.
    I paid less than a quid and no more than £1.10 per litre whilst driving through Europe six weeks ago. Made sure I filled up to the brim on the way back just before I got on the ferry!

Wake up numpties - you are being ripped off right royally, not by the government because we voted for the way they handle the tax, but by the petrol retailers who think YOU are a soft touch (which you are :rotfl: !)

I shan't be brimming it in UK any time soon - I'll be timing it so I am empty when I get to Dunkerque next trip!
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The margins on petrol are wafer thin in the UK. Shell makes more money out of you buying a packet of Maltesers than putting in half a tank.
    Really? Show us the evidence.
    Luckily it's a business where they have to do next to nothing other than have a person in a hat sitting at a till surrounded by Maltesers and buttons for pumps or there wouldnt be any petrol stations any more.
    Pardon?
    George Osborne does very well out of fuel though. If the government cared about petrol prices they would cut some of the 80% tax they charge us.
    Why would they cut tax when we need more tax to pay for a properly run country?

I do agree however that the government should not be sitting back letting profiteers dictate the price of fuel, a commodity which everyone in the economy needs to be at a fair price not a rip off price (a fair price including a fair tax with your votes dictating tax policy, not your petrol company using MSE as their mouthpiece).
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The price of diesel I just bought in Europe (not France) has been falling continuously and dropped today to the equivalent of 95p per litre at the local what until recently was branded as a Jet Station.

95 octane unleaded was the equivalent of £1.10 and 92 octane a little cheaper.

Where is the continuous fall in the UK?

What does it imply about our government and fuel retailers if there has been no continuous fall, just token 2p drops once a month or less?

Sensible answers please.
  • agarnett wrote: »
    The price of diesel I just bought in Europe (not France) has been falling continuously and dropped today to the equivalent of 95p per litre at the local what until recently was branded as a Jet Station.

Where is the continuous fall in the UK?

What does it imply about our government and fuel retailers if there has been no continuous fall, just token 2p drops once a month or less?

Sensible answers please.
    Here's the continuous fall.

13/10/14
    As Asda sets a national price cap across its 232 forecourts, drivers will pay no more than 126.7p/litre for diesel and no more than 123.7p/litre for unleaded.

6/11/14
    As Asda sets a national price cap across its 240 forecourts, drivers will pay no more than 123.7p/litre for diesel and no more than 119.7p/litre for unleaded.

28/11/14
    Unlike other supermarkets, Asda sets a national price cap across its 245 forecourts. So the price cuts means drivers will pay no more than 121.7p/litre for diesel and no more than 117.7p/litre for unleaded at Asda.

5/12/14
    We're cutting fuel prices again! From tomorrow (Sat Dec 6) you'll pay no more than 115.7ppl for unleaded or 119.7ppl for diesel at Asda.

Fuel prices are higher is this country because of tax. Most of europe has much lower taxes than us, take Germany as an example, fuel duty on diesel is currently about 37p a litre + 19% VAT, Britain is 58p a litre +20% VAT.
  • edited 6 December 2014 at 3:38PM
    agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 6 December 2014 at 3:38PM
    Here's the continuous fall.
    Yeah right ... a tentative crawl downhill with the brakes holding everything back that the petrol retailers hold dear, eh?

Actually here in Europe I see it has dropped yet again last night - 94p for diesel and 1.09 for 95 octane unleaded.

I am talking about one of the reputedly highest taxed countries in the world (except when you look at what they get back for their tax) - Denmark.

[STRIKE]But your post does show someone at least has got embarrassed at dropping at only 2p a time - a whopping 4p this time eh?[/STRIKE]* Should have been 4p a time for the other drops you mention, then the UK might have been playing fair.

And the cheapest UK prices are ... still too bloody high! Someone needs to tell the price-fixers how to do their business - they need to shake the drops - they haven't been and the odour is becoming noticeable.

Maybe we the observant parts of the public should get a firm hold of it and show them how?

*Wishful thinking corrected by molerat below ...
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    molerat wrote: »
    Where are they dropping 4p ? Asda is only dropping 2p from 117.7p
    Quite right - I am sorry I misread the last para of Oddball's post and took it that £1.19 had dropped to £1.15, but of course no such luck!
    That's another concept I don't think is valid - that of "average price" as if it is fair and proper to charge different rates geographically for energy. It most certainly is not fair and proper.

It is time that the Competition and Markets Authority stepped in and withdrew licenses for those that distribute and sell energy at vastly discriminating prices geographically within the UK for no other reason than cartel agreements which they can simply get away with in apathetic parts.

Do mobile phone companies get away with charging higher prices for calls made in hilly country? No they do not. If Asda or Tesco do not wish to sell fuel at the same price all over the country, then take away their licence to sell it, and make them move aside and let someone else offer a non-discriminatory service.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agarnett wrote: »

diesel price per litre, from

€1.066 Luxembourg
    €1.101 France
    €1.137 Belgium

That's about 84 to 90 pence a litre.
  • agarnettagarnett
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    redux wrote: »
    diesel price per litre, from

€1.066 Luxembourg
    €1.101 France
    €1.137 Belgium

That's about 84 to 90 pence a litre.
    Thanks for that update ... my point exactly. I can buy it at 94p today in a high tax country, but it is as cheap as 84p-90p in a number of places elsewhere, yet still a stupid high price in the UK.

Have you got the 95 octane unleaded prices for comparison please redux?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides