The journey to financial independence.

Options

Comments

• Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    DH and I decided we are going to paint our spare room ourself and not pay someone. We have white washed ceiling and walls today twice and plan to sand skirting through the week and paint at the weekend.

It was when we were going out this morning to get paint that I realised :j I could buy it on qu£dco. I reserved and collected and it has already tracked on my account. That's 76p better off than I would normally be.

I'm going to see my friend who's a plasterer this week and we are going to get a quote to do our bedroom then all the upstairs if done. It's a slightly bigger job because we are going to pull down part of the ceiling because there has been a damp problem in one area of our ceiling since we moved. We clean it wash it with anti mould and it still comes back. DH can't get to that bit of the loft because it's plastered up there so thinks this could be the best way. We will take advice because my friend may have a better idea.

We were waiting until after the bathroom extension to plaster the rooms but with the drain on our drive holding up building work we are getting on with it. This will certainly keep us busy through the summer.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I did some research last week on best way to spend abroad. I'm reluctant to change up all the money we have allocated for holidays because if we don't spend it we have paid to change it up and paid again to change it back (absolute rip!).

I've applied for a CC that has the best rates for spending abroad and taking money out the machine. Providing I pay it off as soon as we get back we will be alright on charges (and I will pay straight away because we have the money saved for this holiday and next).

I've had a little crisis of confidence though that somehow this is not the best thing to do. Maybe because it's a credit card. We have two European holidays this summer and DH and I have a week off for our anniversary and I think we will do a European City break and I will no doubt go to Christmas market (for the fourth year in a row) in Europe later in the year. Should I just change up our money and know that if it isn't spent in the summer it will later in the year?

Please help! I've never worried about best exchange rate but somehow I've become obsessed the last few weeks.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49

Updated 06/05/18
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Cream_Tea wrote: »
    I did some research last week on best way to spend abroad. I'm reluctant to change up all the money we have allocated for holidays because if we don't spend it we have paid to change it up and paid again to change it back (absolute rip!).

I've applied for a CC that has the best rates for spending abroad and taking money out the machine. Providing I pay it off as soon as we get back we will be alright on charges (and I will pay straight away because we have the money saved for this holiday and next).

I've had a little crisis of confidence though that somehow this is not the best thing to do. Maybe because it's a credit card. We have two European holidays this summer and DH and I have a week off for our anniversary and I think we will do a European City break and I will no doubt go to Christmas market (for the fourth year in a row) in Europe later in the year. Should I just change up our money and know that if it isn't spent in the summer it will later in the year?

Please help! I've never worried about best exchange rate but somehow I've become obsessed the last few weeks.

CT
    Are you talking about the Halifax Clarity? It's great, I highly recommend it, great rate and if you're set up with ipad/phone access you can make a payment while you're away to cut interest to a minimum. Far better to leave your money in a bank account earning interest, even if it measly, for as long as you can :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Another £200 paid off CC which makes me feel a little bit closer to moving even if out extension has still not started. Poor DH is dealing with the council and the water board. I'm not fully appraised as to what's going in but it seems to be stressful.

More into the emergency fund bringing it up to £741. I've been toying with scrapping together more so I will come under £150,000 this month but I've decided not to I will just have to wait as it is not the priority.

Off out for date night tonight which will no doubt be spendy but worth every penny. With DH working lots of nights and me days and weekends we are ships in the night at times so the last few months we have put a night aside in the diary each month to be just the two of us.

Funding circle seems to be doing nicely. I've already made 53p on my £100.im going to wait a little longer and later in the year maybe after our holidays put a little more in.

Have a lovely weekend all.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lovely to read your progress, CT :) Am I correct in thinking your reduced hours at work start soon?

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    greent I am full time this week, holiday next week then part time from then on. I cannot wait. It's a three month trial so if money is an issue or I feel the three month trial has been stress reducing enough I will return to full time.

Date night wasn't as expensive as I expected. We shared a bottle of wine and it was very reasonable considering what a lovely place we went to. We need to spend more quality time together. It is one of the reasons I'm reducing my hours with DH often on nights and me on shifts predominantly days we don't get to see each other or have shopping in, or a tidy home.

Plan for this week is to eat from the freezer to wind down all that stuff so I can restock when I get back.

It's pay day whiles we are away and the it's the 1st so i won't be able to move money around. I will use saving to put money where it needs to be and will replenish that when I am back with our wages.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Trying to get the last few bits for our holiday and it seems all the shops are having a sale. Perfect timing for me. I bought quite a bit knowing I would try them at home and need to return lots. Sadly I need to return them all. The sale was entirely unsuccessful. I will try again this afternoon.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Only two more day until France. It feels like there is so much to do. DH made £25 on eBay this week and that was with no prompting. This paid for some bits he wanted for holiday.

I need to sort myself out the spare room looks like summer exploded in there with summer clothes everywhere. I've tried to be more savvy with packing as we are driving and we don't want to be filling the car with stuff I won't wear but it's meant I have them all laid out and no closer to picking which ones to take. Ahhh

Got sun cream on offer a little while ago. Beach towels I bought this week in the sale. I haven't bought any new clothes as I've got plenty from our holidays over the last few years. All I need now is another pair of sandals and I'm done.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Warning NHS defending rant....

I don't know how many people are following the 7 day NHS debate but it's something close to my heart as I actually already work 7 days. I average about 2 out 4 weekends a month and work every second Christmas Day. I don't complain because it is what I signed up for but that doesn't mean that because I'm giving up this time with my family I shouldn't be compensated with time and 1/3 on Saturdays and night shifts and time and 2/3 on a Sundays or bank holidays. I notice that your average Brit doesn't work nights and weekends.

All my surgical patients are cared for over the weekend by the same number of nurses as a week day and an on call surgical Consultant and his on call team (Registrar, Senior House Officer, House Officer and a Doctor whose sole job is to write discharge summaries so that patients can be discharged on a weekend as well as week days.)

My patients come under one of two specialities and both specialities have a rota that means one of their Consultants has to come in on a Saturday and Sunday to check their patients, review scans and check in with the nursing team and on call team to identify and advice on any concerns. That's means my patients will be reviewed by two Consultants if there is an issue. It seems mad to me Jeremy Hunt is requiring 7 day Consultant cover when it already exists. I see this as another chance to make disparaging remarks about the NHS, after all it is no secret Mr Hunt wants to privatise it.

It wasn't so ago he was bashing nurses. Funny really because I've seen a marked decline in staffing since, I wonder if that is because who wants to work in a profession where even the government doesn't appreciate what you do.

If anyone else feels the same about him please sign this petition...
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104334

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Payday for DH. Money moved to various accounts. I'm away for bills and mortgage day so I've got to take money out of savings to make sure there is money in all the right accounts. When I get back I will move my wages into savings.

It's holiday day today! Now to tackle the euro tunnel drama and we will be able to relax. Wish us luck!

CT

Updated 06/05/18
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family