The journey to financial independence.

Options

Comments

• Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    It wasn't an option for the life insurance on the comparison websites but you can for car and home etc. We pay our car that way but I don't know why I hadn't thought to do it for home insurance. Good thinking! It will also reduce our monthly outgoings and improve our affordability situation.

I think we will go away for a long weekend to New York. I've always wanted to go and with the whole trying for a baby situation we have made sure we have booked exciting things to do every few months so that we don't look back and think we put our life on hold for something that may or may not happen. The other day I suggested NYC and DH not very subtly said no. He can't lie to save his own life (fortunately people don't find themselves in situation where they have to lie to save their life very often!) so I left that conversation knowing that was what all the money saving was about.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Home insurance cancelled with current provider. New policy found and paid for annually with new provider. I'm quite ashamed to say I was paying £372 a year for home and contents and now am paying £162. That's another £210 saving bringing our annual savings from this weeks changes to £402. It's quite addictive. I want more!

These diaries are so inspiring I was reading one the other day which spurred this weeks insurance changes. I'm now £402 better of because of MSE diaries!

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49

Updated 06/05/18
  • velocity_girl
    Options
    Hi Cream Tea, what an amazing 30th present if that is what he's planning! We have just booked to go back to NYC in September - oops, so much for MFW... But it really is such a fab place, you will have such a great time. Hope my OH comes up with something so good for my 30th! Still got a couple of years so best start dropping hints now haha...
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds fantastic. I've only been to the u s of a once (Disney) and I didn't really want to go but it was s lot of fun. Americans are so nice especially on home turf :-)

I was equally guilty on my insurances and did my transfers a whole ago. I went through all my bills and I think I saved about 1000 pounds per year! Crazy.

Now I'm being even meaner, I get a quote online then I'm ringing up and asking for even cheaper!

I'm still toying with sky at the moment, I'm on cheapest package so not much negotiating space left !
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Oh that is a fantastic possible present! I love planning and making lists of plans and ways to achieve those plans...Im with you on that! It always feels amazing to save money as well, well done!

Keep up the fab work!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Just took advantage of my 2for1 meerkat cinema tickets I've just got. Off to the cinema with a friend tomorrow night. I haven't been to the cinema in at least 5 years so this will be exciting!

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Paid £200 off CC. I've never paid more than £50 off any one CC before so£200 feels like massive progress. And....£176 into emergency fund. So moving forward fast?

Less than 2 weeks now and we go away to France with my family (DH, mum, dad, brother and sister) and my Aunt, uncle, cousins, partners and children. I'm really looking forward to the holiday. I also realised DH gets paid the day we go away which is lovely because we have already saved spending money and won't need to do a food shop, diesel etc so his entire wage can go to the savings/CC and he will have been paid again before we get back!

Lost a little more weight this week so I'm feeling positive about life because everything is going in the right direct. Money up, weight down!

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I've also joined quidco, now I'm patiently waiting to need to buy something.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    wow everytime I see you post its really positive, you have a real handle on this savings malarky!

I love Quidco and TCB, if you aren't on TCB PM me your email and I will refer you! I have used them for buying things that I needed to get anyway for the last 6-9 months and have had about 200 pounds or even more maybe. I always check both but usually find TCB has a slightly higher rate and always tracks straight away but Quidco pays quicker but sometimes doesn't track properly so you have to raise a claim (they always go through no prob for me). Thats just my experience though. I have my mortgage account as the one the money goes to as I can have unlimited OP's that way I never see it as mine.
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Thank you Ourcornercottage. I'm a big believer in positive thinking. Plus I was so wasteful before with our money that these changes since starting in November have made an amazing difference to our money situation so I can't help but be pleased about it. I love MSE :j

I'm still waiting patiently to need quidco!!

Updated 06/05/18
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family