Options

Comments

• doe808
    doe808 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No
    Pengui wrote: »
    Definitely worth it, if you can afford it. This company has done amazing things with its parks, and the brand is the strongest one out there. I have visited their offices, and they have an exceptionally loyal and dedicated workforce. I have met and spoken to owners who have invested, and been given the returns promised, and made good profits on resale.

The Groups Holiday brand is the strongest fastest growing holiday company to have launched in recent years. I like this company a lot.

Marked as Spam.
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
  • puk999
    puk999 Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No
    doe808 wrote: »
    Marked as Spam.
    Great, but you also fully quoted it :D
  • Silver_Back
    Options
    I just wasted 30 mins writing a long answer to most of the questions raised in this forum just to lose internet and my work. So very quickly:
    I was in Investments/financial advise for 20 yrs
    Met with Simon Moir to get a feel of him and the company
    His vision - to be biggest supplier of Lodge Holidays in UK
    Needs stock (lodges) to grow the company
    Pays high return to attract us
    I purchased a lodge 19 months
    Income is paid every month
    Lodge is still part of my estate for inheritance purposes
    I get to use my lodge for holiday for free (bonus as far as I see)
    After 3 yrs income will continue as limited lodges per park and people still need places to go on holiday
    Resale - it is a property so growth will be down to market conditions, if flat I have made 8% income, so any increase is simply a bonus

Personally I am Happy with Dream lodge but I went in with my eyes open

I will try and write full answer again later when I have some more time
  • DiamondLil
    Options
    'Course you will....
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No
    Sounds like a quarter end or year end or bonus deadline or referral deal is coming up for the Dream Lodge sales folk.
  • marcus59
    Options
    I'm an investor with The Dream Lodge Group. I get a solid 8% return on my 100k investment every month, that's £800 into my account each month for doing nothing. I get up to 8 weeks free holiday every year at any of their excellent parks (I don't have to use my own lodge). I got a 12% return for the first year as I invested during a month when that was available for new investors.
    The lodges are superb and NOT caravans in any way, shape or form. If after the 3 years of guaranteed returns you want out you can simply sell your 100k investment or the lodge onto another investor/buyer, simple as that. So the point about the lodge depreciating is really null and void. However their staff tell me that they have NEVER sold a lodge for less than the purchase price so once again that seems like an old wives tale.
    Personally I got fed up by being ripped off by tenants and letting agents and a very poor return (in real terms) in the house rental market. My 120k investment returned me only £500 pcm BEFORE outgoings, that was when the tenant actually paid or when something didn't need fixing.
    At the end of 3 years I intend to keep my investment and let The Dream Lodge Group let it on my behalf as a year round holiday lodge. The requirement is booming in the UK right now for this sort of holiday and shows no sign of abating. They charge management of course but that includes absolutely everything including maintenance and cleaning, I just sit back and await the returns of between 8 and 12% (currently lodges are getting a 12% return on year 4 investors.
    The lodges have a 50 year site license and the company has been doing this for 50 years (it's their anniversary this year), they've stacks of experience and I believe 5 or 6 award winning parks with many satisfied customers most of whom return year on year.
    You will get nothing like this anywhere else and if you've got the balls then I'd recommend it to anyone. If you're the worrying sort then get a much lower return elsewhere, but please don't put people off with little more than amateur heresay!!
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    No
    Once upon a time, in a land far far away...
    marcus59 wrote: »
    I'm an investor with The Dream Lodge Group. I get a solid 8% return on my 100k investment every month, that's £800 into my account each month for doing nothing. I get up to 8 weeks free holiday every year at any of their excellent parks (I don't have to use my own lodge). I got a 12% return for the first year as I invested during a month when that was available for new investors.
    The lodges are superb and NOT caravans in any way, shape or form. If after the 3 years of guaranteed returns you want out you can simply sell your 100k investment or the lodge onto another investor/buyer, simple as that. So the point about the lodge depreciating is really null and void. However their staff tell me that they have NEVER sold a lodge for less than the purchase price so once again that seems like an old wives tale.
    Personally I got fed up by being ripped off by tenants and letting agents and a very poor return (in real terms) in the house rental market. My 120k investment returned me only £500 pcm BEFORE outgoings, that was when the tenant actually paid or when something didn't need fixing.
    At the end of 3 years I intend to keep my investment and let The Dream Lodge Group let it on my behalf as a year round holiday lodge. The requirement is booming in the UK right now for this sort of holiday and shows no sign of abating. They charge management of course but that includes absolutely everything including maintenance and cleaning, I just sit back and await the returns of between 8 and 12% (currently lodges are getting a 12% return on year 4 investors.
    The lodges have a 50 year site license and the company has been doing this for 50 years (it's their anniversary this year), they've stacks of experience and I believe 5 or 6 award winning parks with many satisfied customers most of whom return year on year.
    You will get nothing like this anywhere else and if you've got the balls then I'd recommend it to anyone. If you're the worrying sort then get a much lower return elsewhere, but please don't put people off with little more than amateur heresay!!

And they all shilled happily ever after.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No
    I'm an investor with The Dream Lodge Group. I get a solid 8% return on my 100k investment every month, that's £800 into my account each month for doing nothing.

8% of £100,000 is £8,000.

If you mean you get 8% per year, that would make around £666 (before tax) a month.

Either way, your numbers don't make sense.

I haven't read beyond that first couple of sentences so have no views on the rest of your post.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    No
    Marcus, poor maths aside (although I'd want my maths to be spot-on if I was investing £100k!), and generously giving the benefit of the doubt...

It sounds like you're still in the honeymoon period, where some of the amount you overpaid for the 'lodge' is being dripfed back to you. If DLG say they've never sold a lodge for less than the purchase price, that's not the same thing as selling every lodge for investors who want to get out for purchase price or more. It could just as easily mean they refuse to sell below original price and so have not sold any units at all - leaving the original buyer stuck with them. And stuck with the site fees, which may increase significantly.

The 50 year site lease sounds super-sexy, but I would be surprised if a 'lodge' (ok, we all know they're souped-up static caravans really!) lasted 50 years. 10 years and it'll be shabby (especially if let), 20 and it'll be a wreck - but it'll never get that old, you'll almost certainly have to replace it with a new one, which you can only buy from the same people, and the old one will be sold via them for pennies on the pound. They are not in the business of long-term 8% yields for investors, they're in the business of long-term tied-in repeat fees.

Or putting it another way, if they really could generate an honest 8% yield, why wouldn't they borrow at 3.5% and be super-rich themselves? Why aren't the big banks financing lodges/caravans? Why aren't caravan futures traded on the stock exchanges? It's smoke and mirrors, bait and switch. Punters post super-happy reviews for three honeymoon years.

Now in fairness, thedreamlodgegroup.co.uk aka Walsham Chalet Park Ltd do have a long trading history, but that doesn't mean a lot in itself. It's rich in capital assets as it owns lots of land, which it leases to caravan and lodge owners. It's probably not significantly worse or better than any other caravan company, but remember you're in the honeymoon period - see if you can sell for £100k after the three guaranteed years. I'll bet you a kitkat you'll find it harder to get rid of than buy!
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If after the 3 years of guaranteed returns you want out you can simply sell your 100k investment or the lodge onto another investor/buyer, simple as that. So the point about the lodge depreciating is really null and void. However their staff tell me that they have NEVER sold a lodge for less than the purchase price so once again that seems like an old wives tale.

Paddyrg has summed it up nicely in his post. "Simply" sell your lodge onto another investor? I wouldn't bet on it being quite so simple. After several years it will have depreciated, so getting back what you paid for it (when there are nice, shiny, new lodges available), would seem optimistic. And after many years of ownership getting back what you paid for it doesn't exactly make it a great investment.

I wish you luck though. You and your cojones!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure