Anxiety and Debt Free Wannabe

Options
So much going round in my mind I thought I would start a diary and hope that I can list everything that is worrying me on my new thread.

Don't get me wrong I'm not in a big financial mess and I'm not going to loose my home but do have personal debts that worry me.

My story - I have a well paid job but unfortunately my hours were reduced by half back in April. But my workload was not reduced by half and I got myself in a mess, even though I communicated all this to my manager he dismissed that I was struggling. I eventually plucked up the courage to go to the dr's who signed me off with Anxiety and work related stress. Now on medication. I have been back in work but doing a different job which I have no interest or had no training for which has caused me more anxiety and I have been signed off for another month after another spat with the manager who was very rude to me by calling me a few names. I'm two weeks into my sick note and I feel the next two weeks I need to sort myself out before I loose my job.

The knock on effect from the reduction in hours are obviously my finances. After paying a set amount to the joint account this doesn't leave me with much. And being on SSP has halved my pay again if I'm lucky at all to get my SSP paid as Manager 'forgets' to send my sick note down to payroll. I have had to cancel the SO or reduced the amount to what I can afford to pay to the joint account each month. I probably owe at a guess 2.5k which I will pay back. But having seen a bank statement funds are running low.

My husband is supportive and gives me money when I need it. Which I try and pay back each month.

He also pays for the main groceries shop each week and I will pay for the top ups during the week but as I like to pay half for everything this is also mounting up to what I owe him.

I have a credit card of about 1k owed. With Xmas coming up I'm not sure how I'm going to afford it.

I have tried to get another part job in retail and I have had two job interviews this week. The interviews went well but part of me thinks once they get the references they'll see I'm off sick and will not employe me.

I need a new car by the end of April next year as it's a rust bucket on wheels and I don't think it'll pass it's MOT.

There's so much that needs doing to the house not urgently but would like a new kitchen and bathroom as I think these are the originals to the house when it was first built 40 years ago.

I just feel I've hit rock bottom, can't speak to hubby about it as he's under a lot of stress at work and don't want to worry him.

Just hope now that I've written everything down I can see things more clearly and hopefully work on myself and my confidence and get myself out of what feels like hell.
16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to hear all of that. None of that can be easy. Your manager sounds appalling. Have you spoken to HR about him?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Woodster76
    Options
    Thanks Bobarella, I have spoken to HR in the past and they agree he's a nightmare with all the grievances they get from other employees but nothing gets done. I've not bothered this time with HR as it'll be his word against mine. But will look to take someone in with me next time I need to speak to him.

I've had an arranged telephone call with Occupational Health this morning to try and see how I can get back to work. Told the Dr everything including the name calling and that I don't feel like I can speak to him. He asked me would I like him to included this in his report to HR - I said yes please.

Not in the union either. Have got a form to join but it's been a couple of weeks now since it happened. I just want all this to go away or have a little as possible to do with him.

£1.50/300

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Woodster76 wrote: »
    Thanks Bobarella, I have spoken to HR in the past and they agree he's a nightmare with all the grievances they get from other employees but nothing gets done. I've not bothered this time with HR as it'll be his word against mine. But will look to take someone in with me next time I need to speak to him.

I've had an arranged telephone call with Occupational Health this morning to try and see how I can get back to work. Told the Dr everything including the name calling and that I don't feel like I can speak to him. He asked me would I like him to included this in his report to HR - I said yes please.

Not in the union either. Have got a form to join but it's been a couple of weeks now since it happened. I just want all this to go away or have a little as possible to do with him.

Managers like that rely on people giving up and leaving - its their way of 'managing difficult circumstances'! Try not to be bullied into leaving but I can see that a different job must be a promising prospect.

Your finances sound manageable at the moment, but without knowing your plans for family/retirement etc (depending on age) maybe have a look at long-term finances, you don't want to be in this position with a new baby or on the edge of retirement. Think about what might happen if illness or accident struck down OH too.

Consider posting a SOA so the knowledgeable people on here can suggest ways to make savings and do all those things you read about like reclaiming PPI/switch gas & elec/compare insurance/change to cheaper shopping brands.

Don't let the B*&^** manager get you down, you are worth better treatment than that.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Woodster76
    Woodster76 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    edited 25 October 2014 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Well I'm totally gob smacked. Got a phone call earlier - I've got myself another part time job. Start next Saturday. The wages from this new job will go towards the debts. Credit card to be paid first.

I can't give up my well paid job at the moment but will keep looking. The new job is 2 evenings and a Sat. So should be easy to find another part time job to fit in but I get it won't be as good as the hourly rate I'm on now.

Not sure if I'm dreaming. I just can't believe it.

£1.50/300

• Debtfree2018_2
    Options
    Well done woodster76
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There you go, something always turns up when you least expect it lol, well done :T
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Woodster76
    Options
    Thanks Sazzie23, DF2018 and Sourcrates. :p

Feeling a lot more happier and have something to look forward to now. I just want to get on with repaying my debts but that'll be a few more weeks before I can.

It's been a lazy weekend. Not spent any money. Been looking and reading the forum today - getting lots of ideas and hopefully next year I can join some of the challenges.

Today seems to be dragging. My poor fur balls are all confused asking for their dinner an hour early.

Now getting darker and cooler but still not put the heating on. Saving a bit of money there.

Hubster off work tomorrow but we can't decide what we want to do. I'm sure we'll think of something.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

£1.50/300

• Debtfree2018_2
    Options
    Evening Woodster76

Glad you are happier!

Make sure you take one step at a time, if one looks at all the things that need to be done of course this is very daunting.

Perhaps go for a free walk tomorrow, exercise always cheers me up.

All the best, looking forward to reading how you getting on.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad you are feeling happier. I can't believe your HR team basically said your manager is a nightmare. If you could be bothered sounds like there is further action to take & evidence to back it up. I appreciate you may want to distance yourself from the situation as you are suffering from stress, but if you could bring yourself to consider action against him you could help so many others who may come after you. One to think over in any case. No one has the right to bully, belittle or make you feel bad.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Glad you are feeling happier. I can't believe your HR team basically said your manager is a nightmare. If you could be bothered sounds like there is further action to take & evidence to back it up. I appreciate you may want to distance yourself from the situation as you are suffering from stress, but if you could bring yourself to consider action against him you could help so many others who may come after you. One to think over in any case. No one has the right to bully, belittle or make you feel bad.
    You do realise HR is for the employer, not the employee right?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure